Menu

WWYD? start hs'ing 1 or 2?

We will be hs'ing our 6 y.o. in the fall, our first year hs'ing. My 4 y.o. goes to a homebased preschool, which we love. My 6 y.o. went there. The teacher and the program are wonderful.

But, dh and I were reviewing our budget and gosh, it would be nice to have that extra $270 a month. It won't break us but it would really help us stay within our budget. I'm already homeschooling, why not just add my dd to the mix?

On the other hand, the 4 and 6 y.o.'s fight. A lot. And wouldn't it be nice to have those 2.5 hours 3 days a week to just focus on my 6 y.o. while my toddler naps and my 4 y.o. is at preschool?

We have two weeks to decide before we have to pay the September tuition. What would you do?

I will tell you that when my older girl was in 1st or 2nd and her little sister was 4, those days of preschool were a huge help. The 4yo wanted to be involved, but the way she wanted to be involved was by sitting in her sister's lap.

It's totally doable without sending the 4yo to preschool. But you may find it a big help if you do, esp. since it's your first year.

We are in a similar situation. I have ds5.5 at home, plus ds2 and dsnewborn. My dd4 goes to kindy 3 days a week. I have contemplated taking her out also, thinking that I'm at home anyway so why spend all that money. Also at home I think she would probably 'learn' more - whether or not that's a good thing is another debate.

However, for the time-being I have left her there for the simple reason that she loves it. It really is a lovely kindy and I'm very happy with it. As a new homeschooler it has been easier to start off only having to think (read worry!) about 1 child. For what it's worth I don't think that my 2 year old will go anywhere in the future - he can just tag along at home.

Not really sure if any of that is useful to you. Have you asked your 4 year old what they want? I think if money was not too much of an issue either way then I would be swayed by how much they wanted to go or to stay at home with you.

Have you looked at other preschool options? Here the community center and some of the churches have MDO programs that are a part day (usually 9:00-2:00 or 9:00-12:00) 2x a week, and are around $40-$60 a month. Not particularly academic, although they'll do some basics, but a chance to do crafts, play inside and outside, and to give moms/older siblings a break.

But then, having them together would give you so much time to work on their relationship with each other. That's worth at least $270 a month.:)

:lol:

Which is why I am leaning towards sending her. :tongue_smilie:

Love hearing all the feedback from the wise mommas on WTM forums. Thanks for your thoughts so far.

I sent my younger son to preschool and brought him home for kindergarten. This allowed me to have unbroken time with my older child through 5th grade which was important because the older one has learning disabilities that needed lots of one-on-one attention.

I'd probably send her for another year.

Do you really get a full 2.5 hours, or is some of that taken up with driving to and from?

Consider this... if it's a 9-11:30 program... Say you live 15 minutes away, that leaves you at 9:15-11:15. Then it'll take some time to get settled once you get home, so go with 9:30-11:15. But it takes a few minutes to get shoes/jackets/etc. on and get buckled in the car, so 9:30-11...

That leaves only an hour and a half. And can you guarantee that the toddler will nap during that 1.5 hours?

I have no idea what time DD4 goes to preschool, or if you really take that long to get in and out the door, but definitely things to consider at least.

If you really liked the program and it was working well for DD, I'd probably leave her in it for the first year. That way you could really get things down and figured out first.

Do you have to sign a contract? Could you put her in it and then once you got all settled in with school, bring her home?

I have mixed opinions about preschool. I think there are a some REAL (and very strong) benefits. Though it seems counter-intuitive, from what I've been able to see first hand, the benefits of going at the preschool level is much greater than going at the elementary level so where I think school is a bad idea socially and a number of other reasons, I think there are some benefits to doing it earlier.

However, if money is tight, I wouldn't be inclined to spend it.

And I believe 100% that the discipline and relationship issues are a strong reason to keep your 4yr old home. Dealing with the discipline and relationship issues now will make schooling easier down the line when it matters more. No 6yo NEEDS much formal schooling. However, at 8, most people start thinking more rigor and broadness and....Anyway, deal with the issue now, not later. It is much easier to teach good discipline and socialization to 4 and 6 yr olds. The longer you wait to teach them right, the harder/longer it's going to be and you may end up with residual beliefs and attitudes they will have about each other, proper discipline, etc.

I agree with Kymmie that you just don't end up with enough time to make it worth it.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Do you really get a full 2.5 hours, or is some of that taken up with driving to and from?

Do you have to sign a contract? Could you put her in it and then once you got all settled in with school, bring her home?

It's 5 minutes away and I would drop her off and a friend would bring her home, since it's on her way and my toddler naps at that time. It's actually an afternoon program and it is 2 hours and 45 minutes long. My toddler almost always naps from 1:00 to 3:00.

I can withdraw her from the school with 30 days notice. There is a waiting list to get in so the other spot would fill immediately and we would only be out one month's tuition.

That is an interesting idea to start her there and then bring her home once we get settled with school. I'll definitely consider that. Thanks.

I'd keep them both home. I had to make that decision when I pulled my daughter out of public school to begin homeschooling her. I had the whole "should I put my 4 y/o in preschool" debate with myself and when I listed the pros and cons of preschool, I decided it wasn't worth it. I'd miss out on too much with him, I wanted to homeschool him from the beginning, I figured I could keep him busy and distracted when I really needed to (a one hole punch and a pile of paper seems to work wonders), and I think he benefits from being around his family in his earliest years rather than in a school.