Menu

question about gutter shelves

Mert

I was just reading some old threads about using plastic gutters as bookshelves ala Jim Trelease. I was wondering about what age range this is suggested for. I know we displayed books cover out when I taught preschool, but I didn't really think of it for elem aged kiddos. I'm guessing it would work as long as they're reading picture books. I just don't want to do this and then not need it in a year. What has your experience been? TIA :D

We have 2 5' shelves in our biys' room & really love them. My oldest is ten & loves displaying his chapter & series books on his! Our almost 3 year old loves that he can go get exactly what book he's looking for. I've found that each shelf alsoholds a TON of books, way more than I originally thought they would hold!

Hope this helps some! :)

I am about to use a similar idea (but with Ikea angled magazine display shelves) for my dd9. The idea though is to display the books she needs to work on that day - a visual reminder of what she needs to schedule.

Please, can you post a link to the Ikea shelves -- I can't seem to find them on the website.

I was wondering about what age range this is suggested for.

I don't know. I love the open shelf displays like these that our library uses for the new adult books they've just got in! :)

I think they'd be great for prek-8. I have book shelves on all our walls, so I can't do it. I do 'strew' good books on the living table and chairs for the kids to "find," but a display shelf would be even better!

OMG I love these! I had trouble picturing what everyone meant before. I can see a bunch of these going up this week in both the school room and the kids' rooms! How perfect for next to each bed!!! DS throws them all over the floor...maybe this would be helpful for that problem LOL! Plus I love seeing books cover out.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I was just reading some old threads about using plastic gutters as bookshelves ala Jim Trelease. I was wondering about what age range this is suggested for. I know we displayed books cover out when I taught preschool, but I didn't really think of it for elem aged kiddos. I'm guessing it would work as long as they're reading picture books. I just don't want to do this and then not need it in a year. What has your experience been? TIA :D

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175280

I posted this thread a while back about the ledges I bought at IKEA. In that thread, someone had a fantastic idea for correlating their books to their timeline using the shelves. I am strongly considering that. My dc love the shelves and I don't see them ever growing out of them. If I had the space, I would display my books cover out too. I seem to always forget what I have. In fact, isn't the cover-out position a huge gift to an author in a bookstore? I read SWB saying thanks to a bookstore for showing her medieval history book's cover on it's shelf. It moves books! I want the books I have purchased to move! :D

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Thanks for all the replies and ideas, ladies! We're just about to fix up ds's room, and I definitely want to use these in there. I kinda passed over the time line idea in the first thread, but it's a really neat idea. Again, thanks for all the suggestions!!

More ideas are welcome!! :D

I made a set of similar shelves for about $13 (blog link here) for my 2 year old. My older girls (ages 9 and 6) are now begging for some of their own. They want to use them to display art.

Those are very nice!

I also love the little recessed display shelf behind her when she's seated. Did you tear out a bit of drywall between 2 studs for that? It looks like a little window. What a nifty idea!

Those are very nice!

I also love the little recessed display shelf behind her when she's seated. Did you tear out a bit of drywall between 2 studs for that? It looks like a little window. What a nifty idea!

The sweet shelf is what was once the room's only window. The previous owner of the house closed in the porch leaving that window with a view of drywall. My sweet husband painted it all in and added the shelves when we turned the room into a baby room.

The sweet shelf is what was once the room's only window. The previous owner of the house closed in the porch leaving that window with a view of drywall. My sweet husband painted it all in and added the shelves when we turned the room into a baby room.

That's a clever solution. I would have thought you did it on purpose. I grew up in a bedroom with a "view" of a room in an addition my parents added.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I bought the Ikea picture ledges posted about in another thread and did my entire family room, hall, school room in them and one kid's room. I organized most of them by Five in a Row Volumes and had a couple of others for books we love :) I used the Ikea picture ledges so I could convert them to picture ledges when the kids are grown ;)

100_9461.jpg

100_9458.jpg

100_9467.jpg

100_9463.jpg

I really love those Ikea Picture ledges. I'm heading there tomorrow, maybe I'll pick some up.

When I started, I only had a few pictures to go by, no blog had it all detailed out. So I used the rain gutter idea. They hold tons of books, I can overlap quite a few if I wanted. Here's mine, with the wall of FIAR books. :)

0907-opg-044-400x266.jpg

0907-opg-015-400x266.jpg

Edited by Satori

Here are our rain-gutter shelves... I LOVE those ikea ledges and want some in my kitchen! The rain-gutter ones jut too far out for a really confined space but the ledges look like they would work perfectly!!!

DS9's set:

DSC_0374-1.jpg

DSC_0376.jpg

DS2's Set:

DSC_0378-4.jpg

DD1 sooooo excited that even she can reach them! :001_wub:

DSC_0386.jpg