Menu

Swim Team and Highschool Credit

My daughter has been swimming full-time (year-round) with a local swim team.

Should I include it as 1 credit per year on her highschool transcript?

If I were to give her 1 credit, for one year, should I do that for all four years?

Thank you for replying.

I included it as a PE credit. I wanted to make sure it was visible. Colleges can always recalculate grades in whatever manner they wish. It sure doesn't seem like it would hurt to include it on the transcript. Year round swimming takes an incredible amount of time (early early early morning swims) and discipline. So even if a college lops it off when they recalculate credits/grades, you have made it evident to them. :001_smile:

I think you could. I used it as only part of the one PE credit that is required here. Then I listed the swimming as his extra-curricular sport of choice.

Here, I know the requirements say that they want to see a variety of different sports skills learned, so I used some homeschool PE classes that included exercise, tumbling, and various sports, like soccer and baseball; swimming; tennis lessons; ultimate play; running, and some other things done over the course of the year.

If you use just the swimming, I'd also play up the dryland exercise program so show some variety.

My sons have been year round swimmers for years and I have always heard you can not "double dip", i.e. use swimming as a PE credit and an EC. I was working with a consultant to help on transcripts and when she saw the hours they spent on swimming, she felt they should get three full credits a year! I did not do that but I would suggest using it where you need it. Most colleges do not require PE so it might be better to use it as an EC. My older son will swim in college next year and the sport helped him get into a very selective school so "keep on swimming"!

For EC's my kids do regularly, we use part of the time for credit and then any additional time for EC. SO my two oldest did choir for credit one year and then any additional choir time was listed as an EC. Same for the second in PE- her diving is an EC only since she did enough PE without it. For my youngest, her swim and dive this year is part of PE but anything after this summer will be EC.

I did, but I didn't call it a credit every every year. In my district, one year's worth or two semesters are required, so I made a list of any sport or fitness activity my children were involved in -- including swim team, dance, biking on their own, homeschool gym classes, etc. -- and divided it up into two semesters. I probably could have counted it as more than one credit, afterall swimming for 4 years is long and hard work. But, one year was all that is required, and most ps students do not get credit for their team sports, so I didn't feel I should push it. I do list all 4 years as extra curricular, though.

Oh good! I just put my ds's transcript together (he'll be in 9th grade next year) and I was planning to give him 1 credit his freshman year for all of his activities combined. He'll continue them throughout high school, but I won't count them as credit then. Here in MI, one credit of PE is required. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this!!!

Oh good! I just put my ds's transcript together (he'll be in 9th grade next year) and I was planning to give him 1 credit his freshman year for all of his activities combined. He'll continue them throughout high school, but I won't count them as credit then. Here in MI, one credit of PE is required. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this!!!

You may want to check with the colleges you think he might attend to find out how much PE in high school is required to eliminate any college PE requirement. Some schools still require college PE, but will waive it if enough was taken in high school.

You may want to check with the colleges you think he might attend to find out how much PE in high school is required to eliminate any college PE requirement. Some schools still require college PE, but will waive it if enough was taken in high school.

I didn't know this! I'll definitely look into it. Thanks.