Menu

What do you use for high school history?

Trisms here also. The tests are rather easy but the research work and essays make up for that. In addition I have my daughter discuss what she's learned in more depth when we go over her worksheets and I ask her questions about how one culture/time frame compares to others.

My oldest (ds19) did our own high school version of Ancient History with SOTW and other sources in 9th grade, and BJU World History in 10th grade. He went to a Christian Academy the next two years.

My ds16 wanted to study Greek and Roman Civilizations, so we found our own books and projects to do for that, and he studied Greek for language. He did that in 9th grade, then went to the same school his brother had gone to.

DD will be in 9th grade next year, and she will be doing MFW Ancient History and Literature. It looks perfect for her, and she's actually excited to do it! I really like how it's set out! If it goes well, I'll probably stick with it throughout her hughschool years!

Omnibus w/Spievogel and other resources, and Sonlight 300.

I looked at Trisms, too--but I needed a less research-based program for my son. I'm definitely going to look at it again.

If I were to do high school again, I'd do almost the same thing, but I'd use Spielvogel or SWB's new history series and have ds write a lot more and make a lot more connections.

I've decided to go with the plans in the WTM using Spielvogel as a spine but I'm adding in the lectures from History at our House for two reasons. One, I'm trying to teach my son to take notes from a variety of formats and lectures is one of those. Two, this year I'm trying to present information to son in multiple ways so when he reads something in his text and then hears it in a lecture or the other way around it will help him not only cement the information but makes those necessary connections.

Stephanie

You might want to check out the new Kings Meadow Humanities curriculum at : http://kingsmeadow.com/

This was formerly released as Gileskirk and has been redone. Modernity is available now.

"In the King’s Meadow Modernity course, Dr. George Grant surveys the history, literature, philosophy, theology, and civics of Modernity—an epoch focusing primarily on the 19th and 20th centuries, but with roots extending into the early Enlightenment." - taken from the website.

You might want to check out the new Kings Meadow Humanities curriculum at : http://kingsmeadow.com/

This was formerly released as Gileskirk and has been redone. Modernity is available now.

"In the King’s Meadow Modernity course, Dr. George Grant surveys the history, literature, philosophy, theology, and civics of Modernity—an epoch focusing primarily on the 19th and 20th centuries, but with roots extending into the early Enlightenment." - taken from the website.

I have (and use) original Gileskirk lectures with my dc. Do you know if the new curriculum fits in with the old lecture cds at all, or would I need to completely re-purchase the entire thing in order to get the outlines/teacher notes?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I have (and use) original Gileskirk lectures with my dc. Do you know if the new curriculum fits in with the old lecture cds at all, or would I need to completely re-purchase the entire thing in order to get the outlines/teacher notes?

You would need to purchase the entire thing in order to get the outlines/teacher notes because the lectures aren't exactly the same. I haven't compared (I have the old Antiquity and US Culture so I can't compare) but that's what they said on the Yahoo Group when someone asked the same question.