Menu

Do you have a nifty way of managing big heavy boxes of dishwasher detergent?

We buy the biggest boxes since they are typically the best value but the box is so heavy that I end up dumping more detergent than necessary into the dishwasher. I have problems with my wrists (carpal tunnel) so I can't hold and pour with one hand while holding a measuring spoon in the other. If I had that kind of control, I think I could do a better job with the direct dump method. :D

For a while, I poured some of the detergent into a kids plastic cup, taped the lid on, and then cut a hole in the lid. However, it didn't hold much at all and I had to un-do and re-do the tape every time I needed to add more detergent to the cup.

I figured someone here would have a brilliant solution: "What you need is one of these - [insert cool link here]."

Thanks in advance!

Pegasus

We cut open the lid of the detergent and have a measure scoop (the hangtag said it was measuring coffee, but it's the right amount for the dishwasher. Then you just scoop and pour it into the opening.

For what it's worth, we do the same thing with the laundry detergent but I use a 1/4 cup measure. The big container sits on a stool next to the washer.

Oops...you wanted a nifty link....here you go

Ask a friend or relative to give you a powdered dishwasher detergent box when they are done w/ it. Open the lid, fill, then tape shut. They have a handy pour spout & one box should last you awhile before needing to cut the tape & refill.