Menu

Cheap printer

I'd like to get an extra printer for the school room. While I dream of a laser all-in-one *someday,* I'd like to not have to run to the other room every time we need a worksheet or something.

So just for school, no photos, cheap, but not an ink-sucking leech--what would you buy? What price range?

Dh found one at WM for $30 (he said) but it's either gone up or he rounded way down (it's $40). That might be ok, except the reviews say it prints 5-10pp/cartridge. :svengo: *That* is not a cheap printer, lol.

I'd like to get an extra printer for the school room. While I dream of a laser all-in-one *someday,* I'd like to not have to run to the other room every time we need a worksheet or something.

So just for school, no photos, cheap, but not an ink-sucking leech--what would you buy? What price range?

Dh found one at WM for $30 (he said) but it's either gone up or he rounded way down (it's $40). That might be ok, except the reviews say it prints 5-10pp/cartridge. :svengo: *That* is not a cheap printer, lol.

We found a great deal on a display model at Best Buy -- it entails going to the store so one can actually 'see' what is there, but it was a great deal for us.

Good luck!:001_smile:

Wha....??? 5-10 pp/cartridge?? How could that even be? :confused:

You know, maybe that was an exaggeration, but I hadn't thought to look at that, since it's just supposed to be a cheapy printer, kwim? Normally, I'd plan to spend between $50-$100 or so & get decent quality + pp/cartridge. Instead I went, $30??? Wahoo! Luckily, they didn't have any this AM when he went to look, so I double-checked online & went...wait a minute...

You know, maybe that was an exaggeration, but I hadn't thought to look at that, since it's just supposed to be a cheapy printer, kwim? Normally, I'd plan to spend between $50-$100 or so & get decent quality + pp/cartridge. Instead I went, $30??? Wahoo! Luckily, they didn't have any this AM when he went to look, so I double-checked online & went...wait a minute...

We spent $99. -- it prints, copies, faxes, and will do photo quality something or another.........I'm sure if I ever remember to buy spray starch, it will iron my linen summer stuff.;) Oh, and, a cartridge lasts literally FOREVER! I had the first cartridge for almost 10 months AND I printed iron on transfers for t-shirts for my class with that cartridge - and stuff for months before and months after - All I know is that it's an HP.

We have an HP Deskjet F4280 all in one. It's been a great school printer, and the cartridges aren't too bad. If you get an XL cartridge and print mostly on fast/draft (the quality is fine for worksheets, etc.) it will last a really long time. I'm thinking I spent less than $100 on it.

Check to see how much the cartridges cost on Encoreink for any printer you buy. They are great cartridges and do wonderfully for us. We have an old epson stylus photo 820. The darn thing just keeps on ticking. I don't know if they are good or what. But, heck you might find one for free on craigslist. My mom has gone through 3 printers I think since we have gotten this one.

On Newegg.com there are monochrome laser printers for $50 to $100. They would be substantially cheaper to operate then an inkjet. Here's a Canon monochrome all-in-one for just $109 plus $1.99 shipping!

Oh no. I can't take any more good deals. Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

Ok. I can't spend $50 on a cheapy printer when there are laser aio's for $100.

But I can't. spend. any. more. $ now.

Ok, I think I'm moving the printer from the bedroom to the school room & waiting. Y'all are going to make my head explode, pushing school supply sales, desk apprentices, & laser printers like this. I'm going to have to take a board break just so I can pay bills this mo! :lol:

Oh, &, er, thanks for the link. I think. :001_huh:

I have this printer for our school room printer when it was on sale at Target for $50. I don't use it for printing photos or anything, but it works great for its intended purpose. One thing to check? Many cheap printers (including this one) do not come with the printer cable, that might make it *more expensive* than the next step up.

I use my printer a lot, way too much in fact, and I learned a very important lesson. After going through 3 cheap printers in 3 years and spending ungodly amounts of money on ink (even getting them refilled AND refilling them myself), I have learned that the best bet is to find the best price you can on a mid-priced (100-150) printer that has what you want. You will be much happier in the long run. I went the extra mile and did my research thoroughly in order to find a all-in-one that was wireless and was compatible with a reasonably priced continuous ink system or refillable cartridge system.

I ended up getting my Epson nx515 on sale at staples for $69 (normally 129.99) and purchasing a refillable cart kit from SupertoBuy.com for $45. So for a lil over $100, I got a really nice, quality wifi printer that works no matter what room I am in when I print and a seemingly endless supply of ink. FYI, I got the ink system in Jan (comes with 1 bottle of each color) and my bottles are *maybe* 1/5 empty? And did I mention - I print a LOT, inlcuding pictures!

I tell as many people as I can about this option, i think many hsers would find that it will save them TONS of money in the long run. It's really nice being able to print anything I want and not even give a second thought to how much ink I'm using!

This printer is AWESOME....and it is $40 at Wal-Mart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-Pixma-MP250-Photo-All-In-One-Inkjet-Printer-Copier-Scanner/12534987

I was very skeptical about a $40 printer. I'm the one who thinks that electronics are "you get what you pay for." Then I saw the tons of positive reviews it got on Walmart.com. So I said "what the heck, I can always return it" and I bought it that day from in the store. I love this printer....especailly for $40 LOL! It copies, it scans, it prints. I never use the color ink, just the black and white. I keep it in the school room and use it for printing worksheets from off of my laptop or making a copy of a worksheet. I never even leave it hooked up to the computer. It is really great.

This printer is AWESOME....and it is $40 at Wal-Mart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-Pixma-MP250-Photo-All-In-One-Inkjet-Printer-Copier-Scanner/12534987

I was very skeptical about a $40 printer. I'm the one who thinks that electronics are "you get what you pay for." Then I saw the tons of positive reviews it got on Walmart.com. So I said "what the heck, I can always return it" and I bought it that day from in the store. I love this printer....especailly for $40 LOL! It copies, it scans, it prints. I never use the color ink, just the black and white. I keep it in the school room and use it for printing worksheets from off of my laptop or making a copy of a worksheet. I never even leave it hooked up to the computer. It is really great.

You don't leave it hooked to the computer because...you use it in other places? It's wifi?

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. How's the ink? One of the lower reviews said it couldn't be refilled at Walgreens for some reason.

Do you use this one a lot? How long have you had it? I print maybe 1-5pp/day (not every day, but I bet it works out to this). W/in the next yr or so, I think that # may jump astronomically--there's just a lot that's e-format only, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the link & the info. Dh *really* wants to get one *now,* but I'm thinking...if we have to, we could probably just move the other printer & wait for a laser printer. Hmmm....

• 1 month later...

I bought an HP 8500. I purchased it because its cost per page, for both color and b/w, is reasonable. Lexmark advertises a 1c per page for b/w, but they don't tell you that the color prints from that printer are 2x more expensive than most other printers. So, it's not a good deal if you need both types of printing. I have since discovered that my printer is also compatible with using a continuous ink system, which I plan to install soon. There are several ones that I have looked at, but I am leaning towards one from eBay because it includes a "case" that covers the ink bottles up and looks like part of the printer.

I have an HP Deskjet F335 all-in-one. It was less than $50 when I bought it and that was several years ago now. The cartridges seem to last a long time. I buy a package of replacements at Sam's that includes two black and one color for about $40 and go through maybe two of those a year. Mine is not a laser printer but I really don't have any need for one. My hubby has one and his cartridges are about $100 and al his does is print. :svengo: