Menu

s/o slicing homemade bread

Mine has to cool completely and maybe sit until the next day to get thin slices. I use a long bread knife that I picked up at Bed Bath & Beyond or something like it, but I can get probably 1/4" thick slices, thinner than some store-bougt bread.

Terri

I haven't tried an electric knife, but have gone through several other knives trying to find one that does a good job with my bread. I'm now using one from our Great Harvest bread store and it works very well.

Freshly baked bread is harder to slice thinly. Frozen then defrosted bread is a little easier because it dries out a bit. Also, a dough that is on the wetter side will end up being a little more difficult to slice than bread made from a stiffer dough. I can easily cut my bread with a serrated knife to 1/4 inch, thinner if my knife is absolutely vertical (a little tricky!).

I just bought a bread slicer--the thingie that you put your bread in, and it has slots for your knife, and you slice away. Yes, the slices are still thicker than storebought bread slices, but goodness--the bread deserves it, lol.

Two things:

1. A heavier knife works better than a thinner, bendier one.

2. PRACTICE. Our first year of breadmaking was characterized by thick, uneven slices. Not so anymore. I can cut extremely thin, delicate slices, even using a flimsy knife if I have to. It really is a matter of practice, and over time practice and skill will even overcome the difficulties of working with a less than ideal knife.