Menu

Do you have any pointers/advice for moving during homeschooling?

The actual week of the move we won't be doing anything at all but focusing on the move but is it unrealistic to think we can continue as we are until a week before and continue a week after?

Any advice? It is no problem for me to keep our most needed books & supplies accessible to accomplish the work- what I worry about is the anxiety, distractions, etc.

We're about to start Unit 3 of TOG Year 2 (Colonial America) and when we move we should/would be done with Unit 3, ready to start Unit 4 a week after the move. My last-resort plan is to just read the books and not do anything else in the history area of our lessons.

We were going to start Prima Latina next week but I think we should hold off on that too, in order to lighten the load and wait until after we move to start it. Opinions?

I know some of you are going to tell me to quit in May and just focus on the move and start back up in July and if that is what will keep me from pulling my hair out, I need to hear it. Keep in mind dh just had back surgery so the move is completely on me. (Packing, cleaning, facilitating and organizing the move, bills/utilities, etc.) I have another tab open right now to price moving trucks and PODS.

I'm freaking out a little (just a little) :willy_nilly: But this is the 3rd trip around this issue, we've been told we're moving, we're not moving and now we're moving again. Wait, the wind will change again and make this post obsolete. Sigh :glare:

Are doing all the packing yourself?

We moved twice in the last year and a half... once from PA to NC in November of 06 and then from a rental home to "our home" in August of 07.

Somewhere I read that school can be "let go" somewhat prior to the move and then picked up in full force once you are in the "new" place in order to facilitate a sense of order, etc.

This is what we did. Both moves, I started school almost immediately upon completing our move.

With our first move in Nov- it was lightning fast- we moved in one month. No school- only crazy packing with friends and family enjoying our children.

Our second move was slower... over several months... with that move- I kept a modified (somewhat) school going- school "lite" so to speak- and then went right into our full force school schedule as soon as we were "reasonably" unpacked.... then I got side-lined with morning sickness! but that is another story!

We finished unpacking as were able (on weekends- etc.)

The first move: we stayed in boxes with a lot of stuff and had a storage unit-because we were renting and knew we were not there to stay.

The second move- we moved in "little" trips at a time before the actual "big" move- so we unpacked as we moved with those "little" trips.

If I had to do it again: I would go on "school lite" (to keep some order in the day!) and again- start up school as soon as immediately possible after the move. It helps (at least my kids) with the transition.

Also- for some reason with both moves- I had this incredible "urgency" to collect and make sure I had all my curriculum for the next school we would be starting. (I am doing this again with pregnancy- must be a form of nesting!!!) but I don't know how smart that was- because then I had to haul all the boxes when they could have just been delivered to my door!

Hope this helps,

Rebecca

We move (state-to-state) quite often. Since dd has been born we've been in GA, SC, AZ, MT and now ME. The last three moves have been since she started kindergarten. She is in 3rd grade now. It was easiest for us to drop everything the week before, during and after. I count the time as school using the category of Life Skills. Any interesting stops we make during the move count as school time too.

I found that doing school helps me, and my kids. It adds the structure that we need to the day and I feel like we're accomplishing something. We don't do as much as we would if we weren't moving but dropping everything wouldn't work for us.

Crafts and science experiments haven't been possible, but I've found reading and bookwork a life saver. :) Just find a nice corner and get to work.

We'll be doing our first move with eight or maybe ten kids this year and I'm nervous. I half wish I could send them off to school but for the most part I'll be glad they're around.

Try not to freak out or get stressed if you don't manage to get everything done (this is advice for me), that's life.

Praying that everything goes well, whether you move or not.

We only moved about 10 miles, but a move is a move! My only real advice is to relax and be very flexible in what you plan to finish during the month of the move and then again, for about a month after you have moved. I trimmed school down to the very basics, and allowed the girls to help out in anyway they could. This made them feel a part of the move and not just moved. I think you will find you can get back into the swing of things pretty quickly after the move, unless you are going somewhere completely different. Then you might take time off to just explore.

hth's & good luck!

We just recently completed a move - we've been in our new house about 3 weeks now. We packed up everything but math and spelling (phonics for my youngest) and did only those 2 things, very loosely up until the week before we physically moved. The week we moved things were crazy busy and there was no way to get even the basics done (and DH had a broken ankle, so it was mostly all on me!). We moved in with our parents for 3 months while our house was being finished, during those 3 months we only did the basics - math, spelling and some handwriting - and then once we moved into our new house, we started back up with everything the week after. I just made sure I had *all* my hs'ing stuff seperate so that I could easily access it while we were unpacking the minor stuff.

Good luck on your move!

every year we deal with the upheaval to our schedule that comes with seeding time, and again at harvest time. I can't exactly give up school for those periods. It just wouldn't work. So, what I do is pack backpacks with everything we need. One backpack for me. One for ds. I scale back on things like science (if it needs hands-on experiments) and let nature study be our only science during that period. I keep what I consider to be the "essential subjects," but I will put more emphasis on reading in that subject and paper work (worksheets or workbooks). With everything handy in the backpack, there is no searching for missing bits, and we can just flop down anywhere (in the middle of a field, if necessary) and get on with our lessons. For the times when we have no idea who is going to facilitate the lessons (me or dh, or if ds is on his own), I make copies of my planning book ahead of time. Then everyone knows what's supposed to be happening.

We only moved across the street but I still had to pack and unpack. It helped me and the kids to do a little bit everyday. We didn't do stressful subjects (like math for my dd) because the move was already stressful (yes, I know it was only across the road but my dd doesn't take to change very well :001_smile:) So we would do our read aloud, some copywork and maybe a science experiment. Doing these things gave my kids, especailly my dd, a sense of stability.

Good luck in your move!

So, are you moving in June? If you're doing the packing I would say yes, quit at least 2 weeks before the move and focus on packing. After you move, you may find you need the structure of school sooner than you think, but unpacking is different -- you don't have a deadline, just boxes to look at!

We've been in limbo for 10 months now, with our house on the market. As soon as it sells we move (just to the other side of the city, but it's still a move).

We were going to start Prima Latina next week but I think we should hold off on that too, in order to lighten the load and wait until after we move to start it. Opinions?

:glare:

I, personally, would hold off starting a foreign language a month or two before a move. Especially in the early weeks/month, consistency will help cement the new vocabulary and other structures. Otherwise, you run the risk of going "too" light, not remembering anything, but feeling like you've already done it and been at it "forever" and who wants to cover it again? Go with your feeling on this one and wait til *after* you are settled and have the basics back under control...

HTH,

Where are you moving?

Somewhere in GA, we'll know next week.

Is it a normal job transfer for dh to a new congregation?

Yes, somewhat. B/c it's about dh I don't feel comfortable talking about it but the short end of it is that the move is what is best for everyone (churches and us). I know that sounds like it's about bad conditions, but UMC churches change pastors every 4-6 years and we've been here longer than any other previous pastors' family.

How does that work? How do you feel about moving?

I'm happy, overwhelmed and a little stressed. I had just gotten used to the idea we weren't moving. I've organized our learning room thinking we weren't moving! Lol I even ordered the kids magazine subscriptions, which I wouldn't have done until after we moved. Sigh. Not to mention the two Zebra Finches we just brought home. I'm a military brat so I "get it" but it is hard having so many factors determine your daily life. It's a blessing too- to have a house provided, sometimes furniture and an instant church family.

Last time I read one of your posts, you weren't moving! Sorry for all the upheaval. I would try to really relax about school. Do the minimum each day so the kids stay in the routine, but feel free to really slow down and limit it. I wouldn't worry about the lost education time as bit. I only worry about getting the kids out of their pattern and habits. Are you feeling ok emotionally about the move?

So far yes, I cried when we were told we weren't moving. I cut my hair and "moved" our learning room around to get over it. I think we're moving east and that's great- closer to family and civilization! The stress of it all may bother me in the coming days but moving closer to the coast is a big attitude booster. You're so sweet for asking, ;)

Thanks for starting this post - I am in a somewhat similar situation and appreciated the responses.

My DH is in the military, and we are doing a move with a temporary duty assignment in the middle. We moved from Florida to Oklahoma at the end of November and will be here for a few more months - we don't know how long, and probably won't find out until about 3 weeks before the move - and then we are moving to Japan.

All of our stuff was already packed in Florida - 1/3 was sent to Japan, and 2/3rds is in storage until we get back in 3 years. We were only allowed to bring what would fit in our SUV, so we are living with mostly Wal-mart furniture and stuff we borrowed from our family.

To top that off, we just found out that the base in Japan is rennovating their lodging, and the Air Force has decided that we, the family, cannot travel with my DH. We have to wait until he finds housing (which, according to the AF can take up to 5 months), and then we can come over. Since we can't bring our cars, that means my DH is going to be responsible for picking out our car and our house.

So where will DD and I live during that time? We are moving back in with my mother and father - and my brother and his wife, who just got married and are living there until the construction on their new house is done, and my little sister (16), and her best friend who will be staying with my family for the summer. Luckily my other brother (19) will be moving out the end of April. Hopefully.

So I am not sure about how our homeschooling is going to work out. I have been teaching DD to read, and if nothing else, I do not want to take a break from that because I don't want her to forget everything. I also do not want to purchase more curriculum, since the AF will be shipping 600 lbs when my DH leaves, and we will only be able to take what fits in our suitcases.

I am a planner. All of this "unknown" is scaring me a little...

congrats with the move--I can so relate to that "towards civilization" excitement I hear in your voice.

We've moved numerous times, from NJ to PA to NY to NC to GA to FL and I packed a little bit each day (sometimes we got moved, but having movers do the packing is not always a *good* thing--one company marked every single box "mice". When I finally asked the guy in charge what that was supposed to mean, he said, "miscellaneous. these boys have a 6th grade education).

but I digress. Definately keep as much as your rhythm/routine going, and get the kids to help with the most mundane things (packing, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.) the more you keep them with you and involved, the less stressed they will be. keep whatever books are important packed in their suitcase with their clothes/toothbrushes, etc. those read alouds before bed are so important to their routine.

and here's a post by LindaFay (you may be new to CM-schooling, but you've found her blog, haven't you?) about moving, schooling, even cross continents. I think you'll be inspired: http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-we-continue-our-studies-in-midst-of.html

jodi

Jessica, as a fellow UMC pastor's wife, I'd say school for as long as you feel comfortable before the move, then give yourself a few weeks to get situated in your new parsonage and with the new congregation. There's always a period of transition. After a while, I think you'll know "when", you can start a new year, and having "school" will help to get you into a routine in your new place. (Of course, we've only moved once since having DS and he was newly three then; he's 8.5 now! so my advice may not be worth taking!)

By the way, do you find that the people who show up when you first move in to a new parsonage are the ones who give you the most trouble in the years to come?!;)

Boy, don't I know it! Too bad it's the PPR...shh, I didn't say that but there is a reason for charge conference each year thankfully. I just pray we have a wonderful parsonage committee or just an updated parsonage would be great. The dark paneling in THIS house has been very depressing the last 4 years.

The last time we moved (cross-country in Fall 06), we used movers for the first time. This allowed me to keep on doing school until the packers arrived. This was A Good Thing. And I took a Flashmaster and their Latin vocabulary cards with us in the van for the cross-country drive, and we did math one day and Latin the next. This was also A Good Thing.

It was *after* we arrived that I needed to take a break from school. There was no way I could cope with doing school while trying to clean and unpack and direct contractors and accept appliance deliveries and . . .

We took about two full weeks off. Then I started in again with math and Latin and did short days. Then after we were unpacked we were able to get back up to speed.

The last time we moved, we packed ourselves, so I had to take some time off in advance as well, but the children were really young (6 and 4) so I didn't sweat it.