Menu

Is this correct English?

From a political ad, "I want the veterans to be treated right." The word right seems "not right" to me. But rightly seems wrong too. Well? Correctly? or is Right, right?

I would have said, "I want veterans to be treated with the care and honor that they deserve."

I agree with both you and Mrs. Mungo. It should read "...treated correctly." But both "right" and "correctly" are subjective. What is right/correct for one may not necessarily mean dignity and honor to another.

:iagree: I like politicians to be specific. What does treating veterans right look like?

:iagree: I like politicians to be specific. What does treating veterans right look like?

Well, there were a lot of sound bites before this final one on keeping veterans hospitals open and not forgetting their sacrifice for our country. But it was a short political ad that was heavier on trying to elicit an emotional response than in giving you actual facts.

Right is an adjective. You need an adverb in that position, so "correctly" would be the best word if you leave the sentence as written. I'd probably rewrite it, though. In the context of the ad, "right" was probably the best choice because it sounds down-to-earth, like a "real" person would give his/her opinion. The other options would sound more formal.

Right is an adjective. You need an adverb in that position, so "correctly" would be the best word if you leave the sentence as written. I'd probably rewrite it, though. In the context of the ad, "right" was probably the best choice because it sounds down-to-earth, like a "real" person would give his/her opinion. The other options would sound more formal.

Ah - mob appeal (ad populum)!

From a political ad, "I want the veterans to be treated right." The word right seems "not right" to me. But rightly seems wrong too. Well? Correctly? or is Right, right?

Yeah...I agree with the others :D.

"I want the veterans to be treated well" would seem correct to me, but I don't know the politician's intent, and it would seem both vague and lame. "I want the veterans to be treated correctly" is too subjective. But, "I want the veterans to be treated right" makes the politician sound stupid.

Yeah...I agree with the others :D.

"I want the veterans to be treated well" would seem correct to me, but I don't know the politician's intent, and it would seem both vague and lame. "I want the veterans to be treated correctly" is too subjective. But, "I want the veterans to be treated right" makes the politician sound stupid.

:iagree: Both "correctly" and "well" would be appropriate in the sentence, but don't connote the same meaning or tone in colloquial usage as "right", however "wrong" it may be grammatically. Unfortunately, many politicians take to using improper English in order to sound "down to earth" and like "regular folk".

I agree he would have sounded more sincere, concise and intelligent if he had re-worded the sentence with more specifics, such as being "treated with the respect they deserve", etc.

Oh well, I'm sure no one but you noticed...:tongue_smilie:

Politicians are encourages to speak very plain every day English, even if it breaks grammar rules. Still, that is certainly not the word I would have chosen. He could have said he wanted Veterans to be treated "well" or "correctly" or "with respect". I agree with those who say that this is all very vague and non-specific but that is another thing politicians try to do. They want to say the things that will make the most people like them with the fewest people disliking them. :)

The OED has

right, adv.

III. Senses relating to truth, correctness, or propriety.

10. a. In accordance with justice, goodness, or righteousness; righteously, virtuously, piously; sincerely; (in later use) in a morally correct manner, in accordance with accepted standards of behaviour.

11. a. In a proper, fitting, or appropriate manner; in the required or necessary way; properly; duly.

Examples include

for the first

1611 Bible (A.V.) Psalms ix. 4 Thou satest in the throne iudging right.

1667 MILTON Paradise Lost III. 155 Father, who art Judge Of all things made, and judgest onely right.

1736 BP. J. BUTLER Analogy of Relig. II. viii. 286 They act right or wrong.

for the second

1895 T. HARDY Jude viii, You made a fool of a mistake about her... The harm you did yourself by dirting your own nest serves you right.

1918 W. FAULKNER Let. 13 July in Thinking of Home (1992) 77 The British are great sticklers for this and it must be done right.

Edited by stripe