Menu

Hey doggy people?

We are pondering a doggy. Specifically a retired greyhound.

I don't want to buy a puppy for ridiculous amounts when there are many doggies wanting homes and I have heard lots of very good things about greyhounds and their family suitability.

I have never, ever had a dog before. DH had one as a kid. We have a cat who rules our home.

Pros and cons of having a dog?

There are no pros to owning a dog. ;)

Seriously, they shed, they eat, the need to be walked, even in snow rain, and TX heat. They need to go to the vet, they can get fleas and ticks and track in dirt on their paws, they often have to be babysat when you go on vacation, sometimes your home owner's inusrance goes up when you get a dog, you really can't trust dogs around little kids, esp visting kids. Some of them are crazy and destroy things. They die.

They can make lovely companions; they can be a great emotional gift. They also keep you company on dark and scary nights. They often get you outside and moving through your nieghborhood when you can meet others in your community. (Wait! Those are pros...now weigh them agaist the cons lol).

Edited by LibraryLover

We have 2 dogs that we have rescued and a cat that we rescued. Now, I need to say before I write this that dh and I were NOT dog people before they came to live in our home. But, now, we love them!

We have a black lab and miniature schnauzer. Each breed has it's own pros and cons, but, I can tell you that both get along great with the cat. They all sleep together, which is super cute, I have to say.

I would look at specific breeds and whether or not they will fit with your family. Our black lab, while being a little bit needy, isn't as much work as some other dogs I've been around. Our mini schnauzer barks everytime someone comes to the door which is a tad annoying. But, they are both great dogs and have won our hearts.

I *loved* my rescued greyhound. :D

We got her from Greyhound Pets of America. I wanted one that was cat-safe--my only requirement--as I had several cats. GPA evaluates their rescues before rehoming them, and our greyhound was fine with the cats (she halfheartedly chased each one but was very sensitive to my voice when I yelled NO, and I never had to correct her again).

It is true that greyhounds might have difficulty living with a cat; greyhounds are *hunting* dogs: their whole goal in life is to chase down warm furry creatures and kill them. But clearly, GPA did a fine job with their evaluation.

The main thing you have to watch out for with greyhounds is that they can never, ever be loose--off-leash or out of a fenced area (which is true of all sight hounds, BTW). They're not like dogs which come wired to stay with their people, like golden retrievers or boxers or even poodles. Their instincts are to see something way over *there* and go get it. You and your dc must understand this to the very core of your being. Really.

And if you get a rescue, there will be rehabilitation involved. They don't know ANYTHING except kennels and racing. They don't even come when they're called, necessarily, or recognize their names, because no one ever calls them. They are kept on leash or in kennels all.the.time unless they are on the racetrack. Sad. Anyway, the rehabilitation isn't hard or anything; you just have to be patient and not expect too much too soon.

Otherwise, they are wonderful pets. They're not yappy, they're very gentle (if you're not a warm fuzzy creature for them to hunt, lol), they hardly shed at all. They also don't fetch without major training (retrieving is not in their gene pool), so don't expect that of them.

I would have a greyhound again. :-)

I can think of MANY pros to owning a dog. Of course, I am a dog lover:D

-They love you unconditionally

-They will give you so much joy in your life

-They give you a reason to get out of bed in the mornings

-They give you exercise

-They will be yours, and your childrens best friend

-They will be your protector

- They will make you laugh like nobody else can

-They will give you all the company in the world

-They give you a sense of peace and comfort

-They keep your feet warm

-They greet you at the door

Now Greyhounds can do well with cats. Not all. But some. The adoption agency can tell you if they have been tested with cats.

As far as the cons of adopting a dog:

-You do not know what kind of bad habits they will have and some might be hard to break

-Training can be costly and lengthy

-Unknown health problems

Keep in mind, that an older dog can come with problems, and many people tend to give up after only owning the dog a few weeks. Think of an older child being rippped out of a place they have know forever, and placed in a strange place. It is going to take longer then a few weeks. You have to be very. very patient.

Of course, along with owning any dog, you will get the vet bills, shedding, the occassional accident. But the pros, definately outweigh the cons!!!

I cannot imagine my life without my dog in it. :lol:

greys are lovely & yes they can be cat safe. The stats I hear are 30/30/30 - 30 can't live with a small & furry or even a small dog & may need to go to fenced dog parks at 'off times' b/e can only play safely with large dogs

-30 can be trained to deal with small & furries

-30 are fine with small & furries

My sil had a rescue grey & he was lovely. Needed a big huge long fast run about once a week - so you do need to have a place where they can get their zoomies out. A fenced large area for that is required but actually not so much for day to day living. They're fine on walks for their day to day stuff but they need that regular fast run.

They have pretty low activity levels other than needing this fast occasional run. Couch potatoes in the house & can be quite cuddly once they figure out what people are all about. Track hounds do need to learn so many things though that it can take some time - stairs, being indoors, heck people as a whole are a bit of a mystery. They're not used to being pets. They can be a teensy bit aloof. Greys do not guard the house - I never heard my sil's grey bark, not even once.

I like greys a lot but I'm not sure it would be my first choice for a 1st time owner. I'd recommend you get in touch with a more general rescue & ask about a 'family' dog. I'd probably steer you towards a lab/golden/standard poodle cross - one that's about 3 yo, with a stable, friendly, playful temperament.

There are no cons to having dogs.

pro - you have to get up and walk them no matter the weather; yay for exercise, fresh air & vitamin D!

pro - you get to clean the house on a regular schedule

pro - you spend $ on them instead of stupid stuff from china

pro - you worry about them instead of worrying about irrelevant things

pro- you get to train them & learn about behavior modification & dog sports & you get to play with them b/e they always want to play with you

pro - you can bathe them & groom them & make them look silly (or macho) & they don't really comlain. Unlike kids past age 3.

They can keep your bed warm at night, they'll tell you if someone is breaking in (except a grey LOL), they always, always, always love you. When you're upset, they'll be near you. When you're happy, they'll celebrate with you. They're always up for whatever you suggest. Go to the living room? Great idea! Hang out here for a while?! Wow! We're going to the laundry room?! Super! I'm coming!

oh forgot another

pro- you'll develop excellent balance from navigating around dogs milling around you and avoiding the numerous beds & their chew toys which are scattered all over

The only thing I would say is to investigate the amount it takes to own a dog year to year. They don't seem expensive, because you're mostly talking dog food, but the vet bills and vaccines really add up. Throw in an illness and teeth cleaning and you can really have an unexpected expense. We paid 1000 dollars a year or two ago to have our dog's teeth cleaned with surgery to remove a number of rotted ones. We adopted her and her previous owners had not fed her well so she has had lifelong issues with her teeth. Just make sure you can afford to spend a good amount unexpectedly, so that you don't have to cut something out of your budget all the sudden.

The other con is the hair. Everywhere. All the time. I vacuum DAILY. We have one dog. I have come to loathe vacuuming simply because I can vacuum and turn around to find more hair an hour later. Yes we brush and bathe her, she's just a sheddy dog.

Also walking, rain or shine, hot or cold. Even with a fenced backyard they do need a stroll around the block for exercise.

Pros: We love our dog. She's our daughter's best friend. She cleans up anything you drop on the floor. I haven't had to clean up cat vomit since she showed up (I know it's gross and I don't encourage it but the dog will follow the cat if he hears her start to dry heave, LOL). We just love her. She's getting older and more expensive as she ages due to more frequent vet visits and elderly issues, but we love her.

I have a couple book suggestions - not typical how to prepare for a dog books ......

The Scent of the Missing - totally 'suck you in' kind of book. About a woman & her journey training a search & rescue dog. Here's the website for the book http://www.scentofthemissing.com/

The Other End of the Leash

&

For the Love of a Dog - both by Patricia McConnell

I suggest these 3 books specifically b/e they're not about the nuts & bolts of dog ownership & which collar or food is the best. They're about relationships & they'll open your eyes to WHY, if you let yourself go there, DOG is our best friend.

Why if you talk to some old people they'll smile & tell you tons of stories about their dogs from years ago. Why old men get choked up about dogs which died decades ago. Why Lord Byron wrote an Epitaph for his newf .....

"Beauty without Vanity,

Strength without Insolence,

Courage without Ferosity,

and all the virtues of Man without his Vices"

I don't want people to just 'get a dog'. I want people to fall head over heels in love with their dog. :)

So I suggest read the 3 books & consider if you want your life forever changed "for the love of a dog" ......

Unlike Hornblower :) I can think of cons :) Perhaps because I need to give my pup a shower today! They are like adding an agreeable small child to the mix, that some places don't allow to come in.... Unlike friends that can leave their dog at home in the backyard for weeks while on vacation (with friends feeding and playing with) ours needs a sitter..... And... actually... he'd rather come with! It's money we "don't have" but then when do ever have tons of money?

As far as teeth cleaning.... we do the less expensive thing... raw dog food... and some bones... and then I keep a check on his teeth... I have occasionally flecked or brushed his teeth... but I don't expect to have them cleaned... (now perhaps I'll have to have one filled... but that's another story :)

I've heard great things about greyhounds that you rescue... and some pretty sad things like teaching them that it's ok to "sit" :(

And if you get a rescue, there will be rehabilitation involved. They don't know ANYTHING except kennels and racing. They don't even come when they're called, necessarily, or recognize their names, because no one ever calls them. They are kept on leash or in kennels all.the.time unless they are on the racetrack. Sad. Anyway, the rehabilitation isn't hard or anything; you just have to be patient and not expect too much too soon.

QUOTE]

:iagree:Also, there are a lot of these dogs that have never been housebroken--and it is REALLY hard --not impossible--but hard--a lot of patience is required. If you go through a reputable Greyhound Rescue, they might have already worked on the housebreaking....They are WONDERFUL dogs that deserve a ton of love after their hard, awful, racing career--that they were forced into!!

:iagree:Also, there are a lot of these dogs that have never been housebroken--and it is REALLY hard --not impossible--but hard--a lot of patience is required. If you go through a reputable Greyhound Rescue, they might have already worked on the housebreaking....They are WONDERFUL dogs that deserve a ton of love after their hard, awful, racing career--that they were forced into!!

Happily, our greyhound was not hard to housebreak at all. :)

Apparantly all the dogs in the local association are housebroken, and they will be able to find one that is OK with cats. We have a special run about 1/2 an hour away, built for ex racing hounds and all the owners get together monthly to give their dogs a run.

Thanks for the book suggestions and things to ponder. I'll check out the books, and also talk to our vet about likely vet bills per year so we have a good understanding of what we are getting into.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE dogs. Of any breed :) My aunt has a greyhound from a rescue and it is a nervous nellie. She is horrible with children (bit my son when he walked by her) She does not like to see any type of fast movement. I guess it all depends on the dogs personality. This one hates kids AND cats. My friend also rescued a greyhound and it was very nervous. It was OK with children, but also did not like cats.

Apparantly all the dogs in the local association are housebroken, and they will be able to find one that is OK with cats. We have a special run about 1/2 an hour away, built for ex racing hounds and all the owners get together monthly to give their dogs a run.

Thanks for the book suggestions and things to ponder. I'll check out the books, and also talk to our vet about likely vet bills per year so we have a good understanding of what we are getting into.

:thumbup1:

I wanted to say it is wonderful that you are considering this (I've seen terrible documentaries on used up racing dogs) and the running track sounds neat!

:thumbup1:

I wanted to say it is wonderful that you are considering this (I've seen terrible documentaries on used up racing dogs) and the running track sounds neat!

:) Thank you.

I've heard about puppy farms, I think from some one here, and they have been in the news a bit here lately. For that reason I'd rather avoid a puppy, and our cat was a stray and he's the most lovely boy. Dogs being put down because they have outlived their useability, while people buy designer dogs makes me ill!!