Menu

Sleep Number Bed???? other options?

Dh and I will likely be looking for a new bed in the somewhat near future.

We are both a bit larger so we need a good quality bed. We want another King size.

My mom just got a sleep number bed and really likes it so far. She though is a widow and has a double. I have heard some complaints about the foam strip in the middle between the 2 sides and how uncomfortable that can be to sleep on. Sometimes dh and sleep really close and other times we are on the far sides.

How do you figure what is going to be comfortable and good quality? Laying flat on your back in a store in public is NOT a good way to tell if a bed will be comfortable for every day sleeping.

How do you figure out what is a good price vs. not a good price? Everything is always on sale and every store as the BEST beds for the BEST price, etc.

The only time I slept on a Sleep Number bed was at a hotel. Worst night's sleep of my life. I woke up feeling as if somebody had been hitting me with a rubber mallet all night. Dh, on the other hand loves to sleep at a hotel with Sleep Number bed.

I love my Tempurpedic bed. I think it is the most expensive piece of furniture in the house, but I consider it money well spent. I laid on it for (literally) about 30 minutes before buying it. I also took into consideration that every other mattress we've ever purchased has been replaced with a supposedly better brand five or fewer years after buying it.

We owned a sleep number bed for about 5 years and hated every minute of it. I was sooo happy to just buy a regular pillow top mattress again after that. I say spend the night at a hotel or test drive it at the showroom for more than 30 seconds. I think they have a return policy but make sure you'll get your money back and not just get a credit for a different sleep number bed.

Well, we like our Sleep Number bed. The bed we sleep in is really up to my dh due to his back issues. Memory foam about killed him so we passed on the expensive Tempurpedic (which I thought I would like). Anyway, the Sleep Number allows us to still sleep in the same bed. I've got my side adjusted to where I sleep comfortably and so does he. Neither of sleep in the middle, so that isn't a problem. Beds are so personal. I think the only way you'll ever know is to give one a try. Most mattresses have at least 30 days in which you can return them.

I also LOVE my Sleep Number bed. I travel quite a bit for work and dread it because I know I won't sleep well.

I have arthritis in my hips and I used to look like the guy on the evolutionary chart when I'd get out of bed in the morning! I'm actually on my 2nd Sleep Number bed (got the first about 10 years ago but upgraded last year) and I'm never, ever sore anymore when I get up from this bed. I simply adore it.

Dh and I will likely be looking for a new bed in the somewhat near future.

We are both a bit larger so we need a good quality bed. We want another King size.

My mom just got a sleep number bed and really likes it so far. She though is a widow and has a double. I have heard some complaints about the foam strip in the middle between the 2 sides and how uncomfortable that can be to sleep on. Sometimes dh and sleep really close and other times we are on the far sides.

How do you figure what is going to be comfortable and good quality? Laying flat on your back in a store in public is NOT a good way to tell if a bed will be comfortable for every day sleeping.

How do you figure out what is a good price vs. not a good price? Everything is always on sale and every store as the BEST beds for the BEST price, etc.

We were given a sleep number bed as a gift...it was a well meant gift...BUT it was absolutely horrible. I never got used to it...Dh is much larger than me...so I would either fall over into his side or be all lumpy. My back was a total mess after 4 months!

We got rid of it and bought a sealy posturepedic which is not great, but at least I can sleep. I am looking forward to the replies here. I need A NEW bed too.

Faithe

We've had a Sleep Number bed for about 5 years. Hate it. The only thing we likeis that you can adjust the firmness. The foam strip in the middle can be uncomfortable if you tend to sleep in the middle of the bed (We have a king). The biggest problems have been:

1. DH's side of the bed hasn't retained the air for about 2 years. It has a slow leak somewhere. We've tried taking the thing apart and re assembling it and it hasn't helped.

2. DH's side of the mattress has a big depression in it. It looks like a saggy old mattress. He's not a big guy, so we can't blame that.

3. The remote control broke after 3 years. I think we paid a prorated price for a replacement.

4. We got the "lower" legs and you can't put on a bedskirt because it will drag on the floor. Also, you neeed VERY deep sheets to fit over the mattress.

So, all things considered, we'd never get another Sleep Number. Big waste of money for us with the major problems we've had. Great warrranty, but you have to send it back to the factory! HUH?? Not easy with our huge king bed.

We'd like to get a Tempurpedic but are afraid we're so used to being able to adjust the firmness, we wouldn't like it.

Nan

I can't rave enough about the Sleep Number bed. It is the BEST money we've ever spent. EVER. We've had issues with mattresses since we got married. Dh wants a firmer one, I need a softer one. We've had pillow tops and the #1 recommended mattresses. The last one we had cost us $2,000 and I hated it!!! You're right, just laying on a mattress in a store gives you NO IDEA how the mattress will work out long term.

I've slept on my parents posture pedic memory foam and HATED it. It was hard as a rock and the impression your body puts in it makes it hard to turn around while sleeping. It's also hard to dig yourself out of a hole to get up to go to the bathroom. I don't think I could have ever gotten used to those mattresses. I've also read the materials are very toxic.

After listening to a few friends rave about their Sleep number, and after hearing of the decreased pain in either them or their spouses, we gave SN a try. We've had it for about 5 years now and I couldn't possibly be happier. We had issues with my side retaining the air at first so they sent us out a new pump immediately and it fixed the problem. They were So easy to deal with. Now dh gets the firmness he wants while I have the softness I need to keep pain free. The kids LOVE to come in our bed and claim it's the most comfortable bed on earth. The kids ALL prefer my side of the bed. ;) When anyone is sick, they lie on my side of the bed until they're feeling better.

We don't sleep on the foam in the middle of the bed. We have a king size and dh sleeps on his side, I sleep on mine. If you want to sleep closer together, the SN may not be the bed for you. Of course we have no issues cuddling in the bed but the middle strip is not meant to be slept on, IMO.

I was having hip, knee and back pain. I assumed it was age related and arthritis. My friend's husband had severe back pain due to an injury and could barely get out of bed in the morning due to severe pain. The SN has helped him SO much. So I thought we'd give it a try and let me tell you, I'm PAIN FREE.

Because I've had such a wonderful experience with SN, I'm surprised to hear about others who didn't like them. I highly suspect they didn't have their setting on the right number. It takes awhile to determine the proper setting for you, and the salesman told us that in the store. Dh started on #85 and was in pain. It took him over a month to find just the right setting to be pain free and comfortable. It's a 45. :D I always told him he didn't need a mattress as firm as he thought he did.

We have had a Sleep Number bed for the past 12 years and LOVE it. Never a problem with the remote or the bed keeping the air in the chambers. When this one dies. we will replace it with another Sleep Number.

We are in the process of upgrading DS's mattress and it will also be a Sleep Number bed.

We have had a SN for about 14 years and I still love it. Big kids race to sleep in it when parents are away and all sickies head straight to it. I often find one of the kids on the bed talking on the phone. I did put additional foam on the top because after all these years the original pillow top is a little smashed - just those foam mattress pads you can buy in the bedding department. One side has an off and on slow leak but I think it is because after 14 years the tubing that goes into the pump isn't as snug. I don't know how this one would ever need replacing unless it got a hole in the inflatable part or something so I love it and expect to keep it forever.

It was great when I was pregrnant because I set it very low and basically had a hole for my baby belly to rest in :001_smile:. And I love that the whole thing is so light weight so I can move it easily for cleaning.

We've had a sleep number bed for a few years now, and we love it. At first, I was frequently playing around with my "sleep number", but now I don't need to; I've got the perfect setting, I guess. I really like being able to have a separate setting from dh.

Wendi

We have a tempurpedic mattress and love, love,love it. We have had it for about 6 years and it still is great. It is a bit pricey but worth every penny.

When we moved 2 years ago it was the one thing I missed the most. It also never has to be turned.

Kim

We are on our second sleep number bed; we recently upgraded from a queen to a king. The queen is now our guest bed and our guests love it! When we travel we always miss our sleep number. We love the individual settings and just how comfortable we each are at our own settings. If this helps, our queen sleep number is 7 years old with no problems.

Edited by iquilt
forgot