Menu

Dr. Hive.....Why can't I get a deep breath?

It feels like I can't take a deep breath.....only rarely (and boy, it feels so good when I can). At times its Like an elephant is sitting on my chest when I try to take a deep breath. I try to yawn, but that doesnt work either.

Its gotten so bad right now that I pause in conversations to try and take a breath...other people are noticing it as well.

Now, just a peek at my history. I struggled with this back in college as was diagnosed with asthma.

I have gone in and out of the problem over the years....some long seasons I dont struggle at all. This summer has been bad!

I puff an inhaler and in doesnt seem to help....so that tells me it isnt asthma, right. Maybe I need to borrow my dd's nebulizer??

At one time when I went to a dr about it, after a thorough exam he chalked it up to "anxiety" and panic attacks...but, it doesnt make sense to me.

Any thoughts....I have been having nightmares of it being "lung cancer" no, I have never smoked! But, Cancer is one of my biggest fears...so every ailment I have....grows that fear!

Any insight would be helpful!!!!

Have you ever been to a pulmonologist?

Maybe your inhaler is old? Maybe you aren't breathing deeply enough? Do you have a spacer? You could use a nebulizer and see if that helps.

My son has a lung disorder that is not asthma and is not cancer. There are a lot of different lung problems out there. That said, your problem probably is asthma, since it comes and goes. Most other lung problems do not improve without a lot of help. You could have an infection in addition to the asthma.

My mother is exactly like you describe when she eats corn. She has a severe corn allergy that we only uncovered when I got scared of how she sounded and asked my dad to bring her to me. We have alot of allergies here so we journaled and figured out in three days that corn was killing her. Even now if she accidentally gets corn, she sounds and feels exactly as you are describing. I would look into food issues since it comes and goes.

If you haven't gotten an answer from your doctor, please try again.

I had similar problems to what you are describing last year. My first two doctors (an internist and a pulmonologist) diagnosed asthma, but the treatment didn't help. I found a second pulmonologist myself who diagnosed mycoplasma pneumonia and allergies, and finally I started to improve. My father was recently diagnosed incidentally with walking pneumonia -- he had no idea he had it, but was feeling winded with a low-grade cough and the doctor picked up on that when he was in for other treatment. He felt MUCH better after antibiotics.

If you feel like your current doctor isn't listening to you, I'd recommend finding another doctor.

ok, going to make an appt with a pulmonologist tomorrow....

wow, never thought of the food allergy thing??

Its scary to think it could be an infection of some sorts?

Tomorrow I am going to dig out my dd's spacer and see if that helps.

thank you for your replies....

it helps to hear others' theories, ideas, and experiences and advice.

I can not ignore this issue any more...its starting to become so bothersome.

When I experienced that it WAS due to anxiety. It was at it's worst in the period of time when my brother was dying and I was in the car a lot, juggling work, researching the disease, etc. I would often feel like "If I could just yawn really deeply I could get caught up on my breathing", but it never worked out that way.

Over time it dissipated and I was able to breath better.

When I experienced that it WAS due to anxiety. It was at it's worst in the period of time when my brother was dying and I was in the car a lot, juggling work, researching the disease, etc. I would often feel like "If I could just yawn really deeply I could get caught up on my breathing", but it never worked out that way.

YES! I just want to get a good yawn....but, its never satisfying...

:iagree:with this. If I can get it to work, a big yawn helps. Also, walking out into cold air. But it has to be outside air, not cold out of the a/c.

I'm fairly certain mine is related to anxiety, since taking xanex has helped in the past. Now that I have health insurance again I'm going to be talking to a doctor, since it is just getting worse for me, not better.

I'd definitely have the other things ruled out, since you don't want to miss something! But, never underestimate the power of anxiety to mess you up.

And if you are thinking about it, even subconsciously, it will make it worse. Sometimes I go through periods of this. I'm a very anxious person so when I feel like I can't get a deep breath, I find myself trying to get one all the time. And that seems to make it worse. If I can just do something to get my mind off of it, then it usually makes it better.

Not saying that yours is not worth looking into....you know yourself the best.

YES! I just want to get a good yawn....but, its never satisfying...

Yes,yes,yes. That is a good way to describe it because even when I COULD get a 'good yawn' I would realize, a little too late, that it was not as good and deep as I needed and I was left feeling that same "can't breathe deep enough" way. It was very frustrating and frightening.

It feels like I can't take a deep breath.....only rarely (and boy, it feels so good when I can). At times its Like an elephant is sitting on my chest when I try to take a deep breath. I try to yawn, but that doesnt work either.

Its gotten so bad right now that I pause in conversations to try and take a breath...other people are noticing it as well.

Now, just a peek at my history. I struggled with this back in college as was diagnosed with asthma.

I have gone in and out of the problem over the years....some long seasons I dont struggle at all. This summer has been bad!

I puff an inhaler and in doesnt seem to help....so that tells me it isnt asthma, right. Maybe I need to borrow my dd's nebulizer??

At one time when I went to a dr about it, after a thorough exam he chalked it up to "anxiety" and panic attacks...but, it doesnt make sense to me.

Any thoughts....I have been having nightmares of it being "lung cancer" no, I have never smoked! But, Cancer is one of my biggest fears...so every ailment I have....grows that fear!

Any insight would be helpful!!!!

Have you had any pulmonary function testing lately? Are you on any maintenance asthma meds such as flovent or other steroid inhalers?

My asthma symptoms also feel like chest tightness and cannot get a deep breath. Asthma presents in many ways. It could be anxiety, but breathing troubles can also make one anxious:( Therefore, I would want to rule out breathing troubles as well.

I have also found air conditioning, fans, and minimizing of environmental allergens helpful.

Personally, I also take about 3-6 fish oil capsules twice a day, 3000 mg MSM twice a day, Resveratrol twice a day, plain Mucinex 600 mg to 1200 mg twice a day, Vitamin C 1000 mg twice a day, Vitamin D3 2000 to 6000 units once day, and occasional vitamin B12 and B vitamins as well as occasional magnesium. I also take my prescribed asthma meds. Of course, discuss any supplements with your doctor first. Lastly, exercise such as interval training to get your heart and lungs working is great medicine as well.

It is also not a bad idea to get a chest x ray and a cardiac workup such as an EKG, echocardiogram, and a stress test since sometimes breathing problems can be caused by heart problems. Of course, that is up to your doctor, but if everything else is negative and you have adjusted meds and still have problems then get it checked IMHO>

It is also not a bad idea to get a chest x ray and a cardiac workup such as an EKG, echocardiogram, and a stress test since sometimes breathing problems can be caused by heart problems. Of course, that is up to your doctor, but if everything else is negative and you have adjusted meds and still have problems then get it checked IMHO>

I was just about to say this. I would go get another check up.