Menu

Has anyone gone 100% online for high school?

As I inch closer and closer to high school I am examining and re-examining all my choices.

I have sample transcripts printed out, lists of software to create transcripts, checked college websites for their requirements, etc.

I am planning on trying out 2-3 online classes for my daughter this year and began to think about doing high school 100% online.

The benefit being I would have a transcript generated for me from an accredited school. Secondly I would not have to be the one to do all the planning (especially when it comes to stuff like literature where I research and research and research like a crazy person).

Has anyone used an online school 100% for school? Were you happy with your decision? Did you still feel like you had the flexibility of homeschool?

Not 100% online, but 100% Concurrent Enrollment at local university for 12th grade. Probably 75% concurrent for 11th grade.

It is great to have the grading and planning done by someone else. And it's a great way to validate grades for college. For us, 100% online for 9th-12th would have been too expensive - esp. knowing that college expenses would be coming up as well (for 4 kids). But concurrent enrollment here is tuition free so there are a LOT of advantages for using it.

We're starting high school this fall (not on-line), but I am replying because a close friend of mine enrolled her son in Liberty University on-line high school. She has been very impressed. I believe it is a pilot program right now, but she's had excellent communication with instructors, flexible deadlines, and 100% of what she pays for the high school would be deducted from the college expense should he choose to attend that university. Here's a link:

http://www.libertyonlineacademy.com/

Blessings,

Julie

Has anyone used an online school 100% for school?

I'd have a revolution on my hands! :D My boys have wanted at most two on-line classes at a time. Dd could probably tolerate more, but none have wanted exclusively online classes. They thrive on the stimulation, discussion, fellowship and competition that come from IRL courses, whether at home or outsourced.

Lisa

I'd have a revolution on my hands! :D My boys have wanted at most two on-line classes at a time. Dd could probably tolerate more, but none have wanted exclusively online classes. They thrive on the stimulation, discussion, fellowship and competition that come from IRL courses, whether at home or outsourced.

Lisa

I should have clarified. For me "online" is someone else comes up with the course outline and provides the textbooks, tests, etc. And provides the grades and the transcript and everything that goes with that.

That is what I was wondering. If I have someone else planning out the class will I have the same level of interaction?

I don't see my daughter sitting in front of a computer screen for hours on end. But I could see her benefiting from this class needs to be completed by X date and this test needs to be submitted by X date, etc.

My boys are going into 8th and 9th this year and we are taking the leap into online classes...probably just 2 per boy...that is what many of you recommended for first-timers. I am hoping for the best as HS scares me to death but yet I don't want to turn them full-time to ps or private.

Has anyone used an online school 100% for school? Were you happy with your decision? Did you still feel like you had the flexibility of homeschool?

I'll answer, but I might not be totally qualified. My dd18 started Keystone National High School in her Junior year and since then has only completed 4 courses. She has procrastinated a great deal but was also sick with mono for 4 months. She still has 5 classes to take, and she will earn her accredited diploma from Keystone. Oh, she did 9th and 10th grade in public school.

We have every intention of our other 2 children following suit. Ds14 has completed 1 course and is close to completing his second course. I did have to withdraw him from 9th grade English because he just wasn't getting how the material was presented because he isn't used to a class like that. Instead, I decided to pull one together, log the hours and submit it to Keystone for credit when he's done. However, I have every intention of him doing 10th grade English with Keystone. Deciding on this 9th grade material was really tough. I don't want to have to pull together high school. I don't feel capable of that responsibility.

These courses are work-at-your-own-pace with no deadlines. We don't lose any flexibility in our homeschool. :) But the biggest drawback is the expense. It's $400 per class, but I think they give a slight discount when you enroll in 6 at a time. We tried that with dd18 when we first registered and it was a disaster. It was her first time homeschooling and it was just too much of a transition. Even with our other children who have always homeschooled, I will not let them take more than 4 classes at a time. The work load is heavy, IMHO.

We have done 100 percent.

Oldest K12 independent 2 yrs and K12 International Academy, grad this yr/w diploma.

Youngest is VPSA fulltime.

Con: Expense

Pro: Everyone else does the planning and paperwork. Although keep up on things b/c sometimes schools make mistakes, especially when they are new.

I have a rising 8th grader. We are using more online courses lately, but not 100%. I have been considering that for this coming year, but now I am waffling because I am worried that it will take away from our homeschooling freedom we so enjoy.

This past year, for 7th grade, dd took Latin 1 with Regina Coeli. She loved it. She also took a lit course in the spring, Classical Mythology with Lukeion. Loved that, too, but that one was a huge amount of work for her, more than I'd normally want her to be doing right now for one class. This summer, she's doing AoPS Algebra 1 online. Also, quite a bit of work but since it's summer, it is going well enough so far.

For next year, I had seriously been considering RCA for everything as well as adding in OSU German. But like I said, I am not so sure now. OSU German appears to be flexible in that there is no online meeting time, so that's a plus. Live audio classes like those at RCA are good, too, for the interaction. But when is it too much? I'm committed (at the moment ;)) to Humanities 1 and Latin 2 with RCA and OSU German 1. As for science and math, it is up in the air. Adding appx. 3 more hours online for class time has me concerned if we go with RCA science/math.

I have recently discovered Kolbe Academy Biology, which looks good but hard. :tongue_smilie: What I like is that we'd be kept on task by having to send stuff in but there are no online meeting times you're tied to. I also like the flexibility of having 12 months to finish it. For math, that's up in the air right now.

Ideally, as we move into high school, I'd like to have her doing some online, some correspondence, maybe some at the cc and the rest (art, religion, whatever else) at home.

You asked about level of interaction. Outsourcing still allows me to be involved with her education. We talked more about literature when she took the Classical Mythology class than we did when we used Sonlight on our own. Now, of course, if you don't know the material and don't keep up with it (Latin for me), that makes it hard to interact. But otherwise, if you do dig into the material some, then there can be plenty of interaction. I would certainly plan on doing lots of interacting if we used Kolbe Biology, for example.

Oh, and RCA is not accredited but they do keep transcripts and such, which is sufficient for me.

The pros to outsourcing? Well, it keeps me sane and her on track, plus she gets to interact with others. I also couldn't manage to teach her some of the stuff we'll be outsourcing like Latin. We just never got it done adequately.

The cons? Expense. But if we can manage it, we'll continue to outsource a significant amount for high school.

HTH! :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...