Menu

the proper way to boil an egg

You know I saw a recipe where they poked a hole in the shell with a pin and then put the eggs into boil. I didn't know why that recipe did that, but maybe it had to do with removing the shell afterwards.

Thanks for doing all the experiments. Very interesting!

adding this to the list. sounds cool. no thanks to you guys, the kids and I are having fun!

for the interest of science, when you do your method (and that's how I always have done it also but then got so friggin sick of wasting half my egg along with the blasted shell!! Can you tell I get very emotional about this?) do you notice your egg half gone with the shell?

This is my quest, I want a hard boiled egg that the shell comes COMPLETELY off!!!! Is that too much to ask? Must...have...some...wine...!

Haven't lost half the egg with the shell removal! I just tap the egg (I don't even concern myself with where I tap it - just get it tapped:D - I tap it with my knuckles) and remove egg and enjoy! The only thing I can think of is that when I make hard boiled eggs, it is generally the next day before we eat them, so they have plenty of time to chill in the fridge. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Oh, almost forgot - I generally boil in just plain water (forgetting to add salt or whatever) - matter of fact, the current batch was done that way . . .

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I've always had trouble with this, too. :blush:

P.S. - I can't make jello either.... but that's a whole new thread... :tongue_smilie:

another for me is rice. just can't seem to get it right. one pot would be crunchy and another would be gooey. same amount of water, same pot, same brand of rice, just dont' get it:glare:

Haven't lost half the egg with the shell removal! I just tap the egg (I don't even concern myself with where I tap it - just get it tapped:D - I tap it with my knuckles) and remove egg and enjoy! The only thing I can think of is that when I make hard boiled eggs, it is generally the next day before we eat them, so they have plenty of time to chill in the fridge. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Oh, almost forgot - I generally boil in just plain water (forgetting to add salt or whatever) - matter of fact, the current batch was done that way . . .

ok so before you peel and after you boil you leave in the fridge over night? So, bear with me eaglei how do you boil? do you boil, then remove from heat, cover (no cover), then thrust into cold h2o? I ask because I just want to get it right when I do this experiment.

another for me is rice. just can't seem to get it right. one pot would be crunchy and another would be gooey. same amount of water, same pot, same brand of rice, just dont' get it:glare:

The water just needs to come to half the depth of the rice over the top. For instance, if you have 1 inch of rice covering the bottom of the pot, put enough water in the pot to cover 1/2 inch above the rice. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer til there's no water left. No sin in checking with a spoon by pushing a little out of the way to see what water is left and how much longer it needs to cook. :)

The water just needs to come to half the depth of the rice over the top. For instance, if you have 1 inch of rice covering the bottom of the pot, put enough water in the pot to cover 1/2 inch above the rice. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer til there's no water left. No sin in checking with a spoon by pushing a little out of the way to see what water is left and how much longer it needs to cook. :)

oh noble and wise rice maker, I shall try that!!

ok so before you peel and after you boil you leave in the fridge over night? So, bear with me eaglei how do you boil? do you boil, then remove from heat, cover (no cover), then thrust into cold h2o? I ask because I just want to get it right when I do this experiment.

I *fear* the really good cooks on this board are going to *gag* if they read this, but here goes - this is what I do:

1. Put water in pot

2. Wash eggs and add to pot (I only wash the eggs because Mom drilled into my head as a child to always wash eggs before using - old habits, etc. etc.)

3. Turn on heat to high

4. Bring to boil

5. Turn heat down a notch (I only do this so the boiling water doesn't spit out all over the stove top - no cover on pot)

6. Boil another approximate 15 minutes (My family likes their eggs very well done)

7. Remove eggs (usually using a slotted spoon) and place gently in metal collander, run cold tap water over eggs - or - place in bowl of ice cold water (was low on ice cubes when I did the last batch so I ran water over the eggs in the collander)

8. Dry eggs, place in bowl (still in shells), set in fridge to chill

9. To be eaten the next day (or over the next couple days) [i don't recall ever eating eggs the same day they were made {although I won't say [u]never[/u] but we like our hard boiled eggs eaten when really cold}, unless of course, they were being added to potato salad that was made in the morning to be eaten as soon as it was chilled:DI love potato salad and I wish I could make it as delicious as my mom did - mine never measures up)

This is my very simple method and I do hope the really great cooks on this board are not cringing too awfully much . . . :001_smile:

Edited by eaglei

I chuckled over this because I simply cannot make a good hamburger - but I found the perfect solution . . .

Dh makes the best sizzle burgers in the world!!! So on hamburger night, he makes them! :D He gives me a "heads-up" when the burgers are nearing completion, so I have enough time to make or finish the sides, set table, etc. Works perfectly!:D

*what did I use?*

3.0 qt pot w/lid

7cups H2O

2 eggs (July 30 exp)

slotted spoon

small bowl

*what did I do?*

put ingredients into pot on stove to boil for 10min.

turned heat off, left pot on burner and covered for 4min.

with slotted spoon placed eggs into small bowl to run cold water over for 3min.

peeled eggs

*what happened?*

one egg cracked during boiling phase, it peeled very easily and completly.

second egg also peeled easily and completely.

*what did I learn?*

the lid may have made a difference

on ward and up ward!!

*what did I use*

3.0 qt pot w/lid

7 cups H2O

2 eggs (July 30 exp)

slotted spoon

small bowl

*what did I do*

placed all ingredients in pot on stove to boil for 10min.

turned heat off, moved pot to a cold burner, covered with lid for 18 min.

with slotted spoon removed eggs from pot into small bowl and ran cold H2O over eggs for 5 min.

peeled

*what happened?*

AARRGGG!!!!!!

one egg cracked during boiling process, said egg LOST 75% of itself!!!!

second egg peeled completely not with ease though, membrane fought me :glare:

*what did I learn?*

Betty Crocker/LauraGB's method worked on half way. Bummer for Betty!

Ok, one for the day and the lab (er um kitchen) is closed

*what did I use?*

3.0 qt pot no lid

7 cups H2O

slotted spoon

small bowl

2 eggs (July 30 exp)

*what did I do?*

put ingredients into pot put on stove to boil for 10min

turned off heat

took slotted spoon and WHACKED the eggs (I have 1st degree burns on arms b/c of this)

put eggs into small bowl with cold H2O

peeled after 5min.

*what happened?*

shells came completely AND easily off!!!:hurray:

*what did I learn?*

that I should have removed the darn eggs from the hot H2o before whacking them!

there's something to cracked shells that helps with peeling. water under the shell...maybe?

That's it for today my fellow lab assistance. Thank you and good night (er um morning)

*what did I do*

placed all ingredients in pot on stove to boil for 10min.

Sorry it didn't work! But...did you actually boil them for 10 min? Because you need to bring them to a boil, lid it, and remove from the heat for 18 min. So, technically, they reach the boiling point and then the waiting begins - like how you make corn on the cob.

ETA - It's so fun to see your experiments! We're nowhere near as fun here. Thanks for posting them :-)

Sorry it didn't work! But...did you actually boil them for 10 min? Because you need to bring them to a boil, lid it, and remove from the heat for 18 min. So, technically, they reach the boiling point and then the waiting begins - like how you make corn on the cob.

ah maybe that's what happened!.... I boiled for 10min, THEN I removed and put on lid. I'll try that tomorrow. Wish me luck.

I think it was already mentioned, but after the eggs are cooled in the cold water, remove them and gently roll them on the counter to crack them all over, then they just peel away. Sometimes it helps to peel them under cold running water, too.

Good luck! ;)

I mentioned this thread to dh and he wondered if anyone had considered the effect of the altitude at which you live and also the mineral content of your water?:)

I had the same problem when we were at 6k elevation and have it here at sea level. I thought about that too. ;) I'm beginning to think it's just me.

Oh my! This has been the most equally entertaining and informative thread I've read in awhile!! LOL!

Now, I have a craving for deviled eggs or egg salad

I think after the kids and I finished with our experiements we won't have eggs for awhile:tongue_smilie:

I took the kids to Jason's Deli for dinner and my dd got a salad bar. From the salad bar she got two (among other things) hard boiled eggs which were perfect. I immediately thought, " I wonder what method they use to get the egg out of the shell so perfectly - curious minds want to know." :lol: I thought about it all through dinner, I almost asked but they were busy and behind.

I mentioned this thread to dh and he wondered if anyone had considered the effect of the altitude at which you live and also the mineral content of your water?:)

This is an excellent point!! We are above 7500 feet and have

very hard water. I can tell you i takes longer for the water to boil and that calcium in the water must have some affect. So many varilables to control.

Thank you again for such a delightful new look at boiling eggs!

Mary

I used to work at a restaurant that had hard boiled eggs. They bought them that way. They came in a bag soaked in something.

I heard from a manager that there is something that they are put in that eats away at the shell...? Yuck! But, I did find some eggs that had partial shells on them, and they were soft and flexible, so it makes me think that he was right.

OK, here's Britomart's method and results

*what did I use?*

3.0 qt pot no lid

7cups h2o

2 eggs (july 30 exp)

1tsp of salt

small bowl

*what did I do?*

put all ingredients into pot to boil for 10min

turned heat off and let pot sit for 15min

placed eggs in a bowl

ran cold h2o over eggs for 5min.

peeled eggs

*what happened?*

one egg cracked while boiling and it peeled completely and easily

the egg did NOT peel nicely at all, poor thing :confused:

*what did I learn?*

kids did agree that salt is a nice addition and they didn't have to salt it at all to eat the egg.

Well, I need more eggs so off to the commissary!!

I used to work at a restaurant that had hard boiled eggs. They bought them that way. They came in a bag soaked in something.

I heard from a manager that there is something that they are put in that eats away at the shell...? Yuck! But, I did find some eggs that had partial shells on them, and they were soft and flexible, so it makes me think that he was right.

this is interesing, the kids remembered that we did an experiment last year with white vinegar and eggs. We did not hard boil the eggs, however, but the vinegar did *eat* the shell. Kids thought it was way cool that the egg, even though not hard boiled, was *squishy*.

put all ingredients into pot to boil for 10min

. . . .

one egg cracked while boiling and it peeled completely and easily

the egg did NOT peel nicely at all, poor thing :confused:

*what did I learn?*

kids did agree that salt is a nice addition and they didn't have to salt it at all to eat the egg.

I'm sorry it didn't peel! But did you let it boil for ten minutes, or did it take ten minutes to get to a boil? Because I don't let them boil for ten minutes. Rather, I turn the heat off as soon as it hits a boil.

Sorry it didn't peel though! At least it tasted good. :)

I observed that in the successful experiments already done, eggs that went from hot to cold quickly seemed to do better.

*what did I use?*

2.5 QT pot

6 eggs (collected on 7/8)

1 tsp iodized salt

1 tsp baking soda

2 cups of ice

slotted spoon

4 cups of H2O

*what did I do?*

Placed water, eggs, and salt in pot on stove to boil

Heated to boil (6 minutes).

Removed from heat, and covered for 15 minutes.

Used slotted spoon to thrust into cold H2O with 2 cups of ice and 1 tsp baking soda (5min.)

GROUP 1: 2 eggs (2 brown)– peeled immediately

GROUP 2: 4 eggs (2 brown, 2 green)- cracked and put back in the cold water for 3 minutes, then peeled

*what happened?*

GROUP 1: Both eggs peeled, although one had a small chuck that came off with one piece of shell.

GROUP 2: All eggs peeled clean off!

*what did I learn?*

I think the key is in the slotted spoon. ;) Quick change from hot to cold seems key. Cracked eggs which sat in the water worked best. Green eggs don’t peel as quickly as brown eggs.

These eggs were laid only one week ago, so I don't believe old eggs are key.

I am not sure if the baking soda was helpful or not. I certainly don't have as much hot air as the you-tube guy, as I couldn't blow mine out of the shell.

Also, I learned about egg carton date labelling. If you buy a carton of eggs, you can tell the packing date of the carton by looking at the 3-digit number, which is a key for the Julian calendar. So the eggs dh bought at the store a couple days ago were packed on #171 = June 20.

Source for egg carton info.

Julian calendar.

Thanks for letting me play!

Edited by JoyfulMama

I observed that in the successful experiments already done, eggs that went from hot to cold quickly seemed to do better.

*what did I use?*

2.5 QT pot

6 eggs (collected on 7/8)

1 tsp iodized salt

1 tsp baking soda

2 cups of ice

slotted spoon

4 cups of H2O

*what did I do?*

Placed water, eggs, and salt in pot on stove to boil

Heated to boil (6 minutes).

Removed from heat, and covered for 15 minutes.

Used slotted spoon to thrust into cold H2O with 2 cups of ice and 1 tsp baking soda (5min.)

GROUP 1: 2 eggs (2 brown)– peeled immediately

GROUP 2: 4 eggs (2 brown, 2 green)- cracked and put back in the cold water for 3 minutes, then peeled

*what happened?*

GROUP 1: Both eggs peeled, although one had a small chuck that came off with one piece of shell.

GROUP 2: All eggs peeled clean off!

*what did I learn?*

I think the key is in the slotted spoon. ;) Quick change from hot to cold seems key. Cracked eggs which sat in the water worked best. Green eggs don’t peel as quickly as brown eggs.

These eggs were laid only one week ago, so I don't believe old eggs are key.

I am not sure if the baking soda was helpful or not. I certainly don't have as much hot air as the you-tube guy, as I couldn't blow mine out of the shell.

Also, I learned about egg carton date labelling. If you buy a carton of eggs, you can tell the packing date of the carton by looking at the 3-digit number, which is a key for the Julian calendar. So the eggs dh bought at the store a couple days ago were packed on #171 = June 20.

Source for egg carton info.

Julian calendar.

Thanks for letting me play!

very cool!! did you notice any taste of salt in the eggs? what kind of chicken lays green eggs? Here's another question; is there a difference of *hardness* between green, brown or white eggs? I want to try to bring to a boil THEN shut off heat and then cover, but that's after the baking soda one. Don't you put baking soda in the boiling water not the cold? I'm going to have to watch the video again.

Oh geez, I need a break!!! I've even dreamed about eggs!:lol:

very cool!! did you notice any taste of salt in the eggs? what kind of chicken lays green eggs? Here's another question; is there a difference of *hardness* between green, brown or white eggs? I want to try to bring to a boil THEN shut off heat and then cover, but that's after the baking soda one. Don't you put baking soda in the boiling water not the cold? I'm going to have to watch the video again.

Oh geez, I need a break!!! I've even dreamed about eggs!:lol:

Didn't have to salt the eggs! They were yummy.

We tended a friend's chickens for a couple weeks, and the Auracana lays blue/green eggs. Very pretty. Brown eggs are less hard than white, and I think the green eggs are a bit less hard than the brown, but I didn't do any experiments on that one. ;)

When watching the video, I thought he said he put the baking soda in the cold water, so that's what I did.

In the past I have left the pot on the turned off hot burner, but for the purposes of this experiment I decided to stick closer to the other two experiments that produced good results.

I saw this once and thought it looked cool. We never boil eggs, though, so I've never tried it!

*what did I use?*

3.0 qt pot no lid

7cups h20

6 eggs (one for each of us to try)

1 tsp baking soda

ice cubes

*what did I do?*

brought eggs and h2o to a boil turned down heat to "slow boil" for 12min

drained hot water and added cold water and ice cubes

cracked one end and made small opening

cracked other end and made slightly larger opening

blew on the small opening (REALLY HARD)

*what happened?*

that egg popped out !!(at least mine, kids didn't-not enough hot air maybe :D, dh's egg had problems too, I must have the most hot air in the family)

*what did I learn?*

this would not work for everyone and that there is something about the baking soda.

I'm sorry it didn't peel! But did you let it boil for ten minutes, or did it take ten minutes to get to a boil? Because I don't let them boil for ten minutes. Rather, I turn the heat off as soon as it hits a boil.

Sorry it didn't peel though! At least it tasted good. :)

this may be a big difference. I think I'll try bringing to a boil then turn heat off rather than continue to boil for 10min.

There are two reasons for turning off the heat and letting the eggs "cook" in the hot water, rather than boiling them for 10-15 minutes: to keep the whites from getting rubbery, and to prevent the yolks from getting a greenish tint. The greeny-gray color is ferrous sulfide, which forms when the iron in the yolk reacts with the hydrogen sulfide in the white.

A few years ago, as his science fair project, DS tested the effect of three variables (off-heat cooking, ice water, vinegar) on the color of the yolk. Here are the results:

EggsAfter.jpg

The longer the eggs were cooked, the greener the yolks; vinegar didn't make any difference. All the eggs were pretty fresh (from our own chickens), but you can see that the more rubbery eggs that were cooked longer were easier to peel than the off-heat method eggs. But the off-heat eggs were a much nicer color and texture.

BTW, I've heard many different explanations for why people add vinegar and salt to the cooking water (keeps yolks from turning green, helps shells release, etc) but the real reason is that both salt and vinegar will cause the protein in the albumen to coagulate if the egg cracks while boiling, preventing the entire contents of the egg from leaking out. This is also the reason for pricking a small hole in one end of the egg — it releases the pressure so the egg is less likely to crack. If you use older eggs, you'll often see a stream of tiny bubbles coming out of the hole. To tell if an egg is older, put it in a glass of water. If it lays on it's side, it's fresh, if it "stands up" it means the egg is a bit older because there's an air bubble. The air under the shell makes older eggs easier to peel.

Jackie

There are two reasons for turning off the heat and letting the eggs "cook" in the hot water, rather than boiling them for 10-15 minutes: to keep the whites from getting rubbery, and to prevent the yolks from getting a greenish tint. The greeny-gray color is ferrous sulfide, which forms when the iron in the yolk reacts with the hydrogen sulfide in the white.

A few years ago, as his science fair project, DS tested the effect of three variables (off-heat cooking, ice water, vinegar) on the color of the yolk. Here are the results:

EggsAfter.jpg

The longer the eggs were cooked, the greener the yolks; vinegar didn't make any difference. All the eggs were pretty fresh (from our own chickens), but you can see that the more rubbery eggs that were cooked longer were easier to peel than the off-heat method eggs. But the off-heat eggs were a much nicer color and texture.

BTW, I've heard many different explanations for why people add vinegar and salt to the cooking water (keeps yolks from turning green, helps shells release, etc) but the real reason is that both salt and vinegar will cause the protein in the albumen to coagulate if the egg cracks while boiling, preventing the entire contents of the egg from leaking out. This is also the reason for pricking a small hole in one end of the egg — it releases the pressure so the egg is less likely to crack. If you use older eggs, you'll often see a stream of tiny bubbles coming out of the hole. To tell if an egg is older, put it in a glass of water. If it lays on it's side, it's fresh, if it "stands up" it means the egg is a bit older because there's an air bubble. The air under the shell makes older eggs easier to peel.

Jackie

wow! you really learned alot during your ds's science experiement. I had no idea why you used older, interesting stuff. Thanks for posting this, I'm sure it will enlighten all the hard boiled egg maker, including myself, on the boards.