Menu

Preschool stringing beads?

Tracy

I am looking for stringing beads for my 2yo to keep him busy while I am teaching his sister. I was looking on Amazon, and the ones that I like the most have the worst reviews. I don't know where else to look. Any recommendations?

We got a big bag of large wooden beads from the craft store and use left over yarn or shoe strings. If he was a little bit older, I would direct you to Dollar Tree b/c they have these little plastic containers of foam beads which come with a large plastic needle and nylon thread. My kids string and resting them over and over. One of the best $1 I ever spent. Your little guy might still be too small (but you would know better) b/c the pieces are small and quite "chewy".... (my dd3 - you get the picture :glare:)

hth

My little ones always preferred stringing fruit loops or cheerios on pipe cleaners! It always kept them very busy!

:iagree:

It's a snack and a craft!

My kids weren't ready to string beads by themselves until they were a bit older. But the pipecleaners work great.

I died penne pasta with food coloring mixed with rubbing alcohol. My son was able to lace those onto round shoelaces at age 2.

My mom and step-dad made him some lacing beads by taking a round dowel, cutting it into smaller lengths, and drilling a hole in it. My mom dyed the beads with food coloring. They aren't as vibrant as the penne turned out, but it does add color without the mess of paint (you just soak them in food coloring+water). The beads they made certainly look handmade (they are irregular rather than all exactly the same size and shape), but my son never cared.

Ok, so this isn't stringing beads but when my big girl was two, she loved sticking those foamy letters and numbers to construction paper. It kept her busy for a while. She was about 2.5 and she could peel the sticky backing off herself. Just a thought...

My small girl loves to stick too but she needs help removing the backing...she's 20 months though.