Menu

UPDATE: Queen Homeschool's Living History of our WORLD is in MY HANDS!

flobee76

Vol. 1, that is.

My first review so far (after thumbing through)

I LOVE THIS. What a perfect fit for my little ones. This is definitely geared towards a younger crowd. The illustrations are sweet (and I believe it will help foster in my own child, a desire to draw). The "conversation" of the subject is simple and straight to the point. *I wanted to add that this VERY MUCH of the Charlotte Mason flavor.

I also purchased the Student handbook/journal. I am glad I did. There is a lot of activities in there to help solidify what the child learned in the chapter that was read. Mapwork, timeline, copywork, drawing, etc.

It does state in the preface that no other supplemental reading will be needed. From what I saw, I can see that being the case if teaching a young one. But, I will add in some D'Aulaire and other living history readers as we move along.

I look forward to using this book! I will probably purchase Vol. 2. :D

Edited by flobee76

Thank you for the update! :) It does sound great!

Would you say this is suitable for a rising 3rd grader?

I think it would be perfect for a 3rd grader. The ages recommended on the front of the book is : 5-12 years. I would say that is about right.

I know I saw it mentioned that she included a book list of extra books you could read if you wanted to add to the program. Could you tell me a little more about that? I was wondering if the recommendations are in just a long list or if she included any suggestions of when to read these extra books. Also could you give an estimate of how many extra book are on her list.

Jan

I know I saw it mentioned that she included a book list of extra books you could read if you wanted to add to the program. Could you tell me a little more about that? I was wondering if the recommendations are in just a long list or if she included any suggestions of when to read these extra books. Also could you give an estimate of how many extra book are on her list.

Jan

It's just a handful of suggestions: D'Aulaire books, AM History readers from Queen Homeschool Supplies, etc. ;)

Thanks for the review. I had started a thread about choosing between this and BF for history next year. Decisions, decisions. :tongue_smilie:

FWIW, I am using this book and checking out D'Aulaire books and other AM living books for more read-alouds. :)

Did you order the student journal too?

Marsha

I did order the student journal as well. At first, I wasn't going to b/c our DD#1 is only 6. However after seeing some examples of the journal pages, I went ahead and ordered it. I AM SO GLAD THAT I DID! Lots of activities in there to solidify what the child learned from the book. Copywork, journalling, mapwork, drawing, etc. :D

Flobee, could you please fill me in with what is in the "journal".

Is it just notebooking activities, or are there arts and craft/ cooking ideas?

Are there cut and paste or coloring pages.

Also, what do they have for youngers AND olders? Is there a range?

Thanks so much!! The reader looks so good!

Flobee, could you please fill me in with what is in the "journal".

Is it just notebooking activities, or are there arts and craft/ cooking ideas?

Are there cut and paste or coloring pages.

Also, what do they have for youngers AND olders? Is there a range?

Thanks so much!! The reader looks so good!

So, I have thumbed thru the journal. (i've been bombarded with all this new homeschool stuff that i can't keep up!) There are journalling pages, copywork, map work/ geography. Coloring, cutting, pasting, etc. So, like notebooking. I didn't see any cooking ideas, saw some craft ideas. This journal is for ages 5-12 yrs., so I am assuming that you let your child do what he or she can according to ability.

• 2 weeks later...
Any more updates about this book. It looks really good, but it's a little $$ (with shipping). Curious if you like it.

I love the book. It suits our needs quite well! For us, it was worth the $$. The pictures are beautiful and the text is written well. I haven't seen any typos yet. ;) I am really happy with this and the student journal.

Did someone say there was a sample page for the journal? I missed that on the website somewhere, can you tell me where those are?

Thanks for sharing this...I am contemplating our American History options and this looks good. :)

Here is a link to the author's blog (w/ sample pages)

http://angela-odellfamily.blogspot.com/2010_05_01_archive.html

I also bought this book and am LOVING it. I opted on skipping the journal (to save some money) we plan on doing our own journal through narration/copywork/illustration and then adding some craft projects.

• 2 months later...