Menu

I need a fun book

It seems like lately I've either been reading books on homeschooling, learning disabilities, or sad novels. My family has been gone since Wednesday and won't be back until late tomorrow. I need a fun and/or funny book to cheer me up. I have a Nook, so if I get some good suggestions soon, I can even start reading tonight!

People seem to love or hate her books. The last one of hers that I read was called "Change of Heart" and it was very exciting--kind of a psyche mystery with some Christian aspects to it. It's not great literature, but it was a good summer read, I thought.

My favorite book that I have read all year is the new Anne Lamott novel, "Imperfect Birds." It is extremely well-written. Extremely. It's not a happy or funny book, but it is a triumphant one.

If you want to think about things, "Plain And Simple" is really inspiring but kind of lightly written. It's a memoir by a woman who clearly has no clue about Christianity but becomes fascinated with the Amish, studies their art, and finally arranges to stay with them as a houseguest for weeks, while reflecting on their lives and on hers--pros and cons, peacefulness vs. franticness, rural vs. city life, boundaries vs. options. It's a short, easy read, but one that you can go back to over and over, and delightfully written.

None of these are exactly what you asked for, but I am sure you would like the last two, and pretty sure you would like the first.

I usually like her fiction--did not care for "The Lacuna" all that much (that is her most recent one) but loved "The Bean Trees," "Pigs in Heaven," "Animal Dreams," and "Prodigal Summer." I did not like "The Poisonwood Bible" nearly as much, and it's very long. The four I recommended would be good, fun, uplifting reads.

The Help, Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, Anne of Green Gables :)

The Thirteenth Tale (just a good mystery)

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Freakonomics

Ender's Game (not really light but a page turner)

That's all that comes to mind right now.

I've read quite a few of these (I actually just finished P & P & Zombies) and I have several others on hold through the library.

Good Omens is one of my favorites.

:iagree:

Other options:

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

The Year of Living Biblically by A. J. Jacobs

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson (hilarious, though it may be offensive to some)

I, Claudius by Robert Graves

Some of those already mentioned. Fun books are any of the following:

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg

Anything by Maeve Binchy ... if you want sweet and light, and oftentimes funny

Funny in Farsi and its sequel Laughing Without an Accent ... both had me and dh laughing out loud. :) Tears rolling down our face laughing.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

The absolute most fun book I've read lately has been:

Whatever You Do, Don't Run - True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide by Peter Allison

It's exactly what it says it is and is written in a humorous easy to read manner. I've also given the book to several other people - all of whom have related back that they loved it. My family often brings up "incidents" from the book when situations are semi-similar.

Our family started reading Ted Dekker's books - his parents were the subject of Torches of Joy, missionaries to Irian Jaya ...

Ted writes suspense/thriller books. It's been sooo nice to crack open a book that doesn't have swearing or smut in it!

Most large libraries carry a series of his books. I highly recommend them, if you need a book that you can't put down :tongue_smilie: