Menu

How do you prepare your pot roast?

One way I do it is very simple and the kids love it.

Put it in the roaster with 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, one can french onion soup, and a can or so of water. Salt and pepper on roast. Cook for about an hour on 350.

Fill in the area around the roast with potatoes and carrots. Salt and pepper the veggies and add more water if needed. Cook for about another hour until done.

The juices from the roast mix really well with the soups to make an easy gravy. Not creamy like the soup nor chunky. But really tasty.

That's it. Very simple.

I brown the meat on all sides in olive oil in a skillet. I peel and cut potatos and carrots, quarter an onion. I put all the veggies in the bottom of the crock pot and put the meat on top. I pour 1 can of V8 and 8oz of beef stock (not broth), then I pour in enough water to cover the veggies. If I'm eating in a few hours I cook on hi for about 3-4 hours, depending on the size of the roast. If I'm cooking it all day, I'll put it on hi for a few hours and then turn it down to low until we're ready to eat.

I plop my boneless chuck roast into the crock pot

Then I pour a packet of "pot roast seasoning mix" over it

Next I add water about 1" deep

Lastly, I turn the crockpot on and walk away for about 7 hours

:drool:

It is fall apart tender using this method. Just be sure to check the water level the first couple of times you make it. You don't want a dried out, crispy on the edges roast.

I braise my pot roast in the oven.

Dredge the meat in flour and brown it in very hot olive oil on the stove top in the braising pan (any roaster with a lid that can go on a burner would work). When thoroughly browned, I add about two tablespoons of herbs de' provence, a bay leaf, salt and pepper, cut up carrots and onion, and a cup or two of a good dry red wine (if you don't like to cook with wine substitute beef broth). You can use cooking wine, but I prefer a merlot or pinot. It ends up with such a better flavor than with that cheap cooking wine. Cover and bring the ingredients to a simmer to deglaze the pan. give it a quick stir and pop it into a preheated 350 degree oven for about three hours. I do the same thing with stew beef which also makes itself a nice gravy. Pot roast is so much fattier I don't use the gravy as such.

One way I do it is very simple and the kids love it.

Put it in the roaster with 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, one can french onion soup, and a can or so of water. Salt and pepper on roast. Cook for about an hour on 350.

Fill in the area around the roast with potatoes and carrots. Salt and pepper the veggies and add more water if needed. Cook for about another hour until done.

The juices from the roast mix really well with the soups to make an easy gravy. Not creamy like the soup nor chunky. But really tasty.

That's it. Very simple.

I do the exact same thing except in the slow cooker/crockpot. No need to add water this way and I just cook on low for as long as I can- usually 8-10hrs

I cook mine on the stove-top in a large pot. I brown it in butter, along with a sliced/chopped onion.

Then I cover it with water and throw in about 1/3 C minced garlic, 1/3 C parsley, 1/3 C red wine,

2 bay leaves, 1 tsp Thyme, 2 Tbsp Better-Than-Bullion, 2 Tbsp Worcestershire,

a few good shakes of hot sauce, salt & pepper. After it comes to a boil,

I turn it down to simmer and let it cook for 2 hours before adding

sliced carrots & mushrooms, cubed potatoes, & frozen peas.

After it simmers for another hour it is ready!

I'll be checking back because I am always looking for new pot roast ideas. I made one last night that was excellent!

I used the crock pot, and added a chopped onion, a Tbs or so of fresh rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Then I poured a can of pureed tomatoes over the whole thing and let it simmer all day.

It was one of the best I've ever made :001_smile:

I plop my boneless chuck roast into the crock pot

Then I pour a packet of "pot roast seasoning mix" over it

Next I add water about 1" deep

Lastly, I turn the crockpot on and walk away for about 7 hours

:drool:

It is fall apart tender using this method. Just be sure to check the water level the first couple of times you make it. You don't want a dried out, crispy on the edges roast.

Wow, I'm gonna do that this weekend.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:drool:

How many pounds?

Oh! I know this one!

Pressure Cooker. Little water, sliced garlic stuffed into slits in the roast, bag of onion soup mix. It's better to cook your veggies separate or add them later, but I'm willing to eat mush to avoid an extra step. Cream of soup is good in there, too.

Turn it on high, when it starts to jiggle, let it do so hard for...I don't know, a few min. Then turn it down as low as you can get it w/out losing the jiggle. Leave it there...um...until you get bored. I think about 20 min.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to ruin a roast this way. Trust me.

I heat olive oil and minced garlic in a frying pan. Then I brown the roast on all sides in the olive oil. I slice a large red onion and mushrooms and place half in the bottom of the crockpot. I place the roast on top of the onions and mushrooms and put the other half of them on top. Then I season it with salt and pepper. Also, I add about 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of the crockpot. Depending on when I need it to be done I put it on low or high. :)

I put my roast in my crockpot and add new potatoes, celery and carrots around it.

I add dried parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (all coarse crushed); black pepper and salt (both ground); Worchestershire; minced garlic; two packets of McCormick gravy mix, such as brown or mushroom, with about a cup of water (I shake the mix up in the water in a plastic covered dish before adding it) - OR, a packet of Lipton dry french onion or similar soup mix similarly mixed in water; minced onion; a splash of wine or cooking wine or sherry, etc., sometimes, and I think that's all.

I come back to stir occasionally during the day, if I have time. It's ready by dinner time and very flavorful,

I do mine in the crockpot with beef stock, red wine, about a tablespoon of whole peppercorns, several bay leaves, a bit of salt, halved onions on top (just because I like those onions to eat with the roast later).

The meat is falling apart and succulent. I strain the liquid and save it to use for beef, barley & mushroom soup later.