Menu

Does it ever drive you crazy

KJsMom

to see so many great curriculum and other resources and know that there is no way to use as many as interest you? I really need to quit looking. I should stop reading all of your suggestions, but I don't think I can. Thank goodness I'm finally able to say, "This is what we are using" and just look longingly at the other wonderful things available. It is kind of like window shopping for something you can't possibly buy. Fun, but fruitless. :tongue_smilie:

Sometimes I think it would be fun to have several "waves" of kids, and do all of HOD with one wave, then all of MFW, then TOG, etc. They all sound so great and offer different things! I guess even if I did have that many children, it wouldn't really be financially responsible to teach them that way:001_smile:.

Just with math. DD just finished LOF Pre-Algebra in under 3 weeks. I had it penciled in for the whole summer. I've got a few Murderous Maths to do until I figure out whether I want to use Mathematics 6 or a Zaccaro book (and which!). Honestly, I don't think she needs any more pre-algebra, but I could never quite fit in Mathematics and I really wanted to use it. I probably should pick up a few more Murderous Maths and leave it at that. Oh, and this is just now. I've stressed about math ever since we finished Miquon years ago.

I'm also anticipating a wrestle with phonics programs on the horizon.

I agree with Bill and Dragon, but maybe not quite as much. ;)

I think that 50% of all HS curriculum is almost identical to each other, just with minor tweaks or focuses. In the other 50%, 45% I would not use for various reasons (religiousness, PCedness, poorly written, not my style, ugly to look at, too schooly, blah blah blah) so I am left with 5% that I can tolerate.

Luckily, I have figured this out by now. :D I am able to dismiss most curriculum pretty quickly. I love looking though. My perfect curriculum has never been written, as I haven't written it yet.

Math is where I have the most choices.

Don't get me started about science! :tongue_smilie:

No. I'm actually surprised how few programs I find appropriate.

Bill

:iagree: But outside of the programs and curricula, my obsession lies with real books. I am constantly finding stories to supplement our studies. I use Sonlight and I am still finding/buying books to add to what we already do.

I got so tired of investigating, drooling, and contemplating that I got out my WTM book and wrote down all that is suggested to use for each subject in there and that's what we are using. I won't be using a history curricula, which honestly has saved me money that I can use to get the cool science kits and Latin/Greek/Hebrew/Spanish language programs I want instead.

I have found that it's the pursuit that stokes my fire. I love, love to read all the suggestions and how people on here are using things though. But, for the first year in my 13yrs of hsing, I won't have a day-by-day schedule for history. I will have fun planning history out this year all by myself and can't wait to use these cool history spines I just got from Amazon yesterday.

Guest aquiverfull

Yes, definitely. :) I should really stop looking also. I'm blessed to have a lot of kiddos though, so I may somehow be able to use all that good stuff. ;)

I think it's the former PS teacher in me, where I was stuck using just one curriculum, whether it fit my students or not. Now I can pick and choose and combine and alter and play, so I think I tend to go overboard. It's not so much textbooks and core curricula that is the issue, but all the neat supplements, games, real literature books, science kits, manipulatives, and so on.

Oh, well...it takes a lot of RR orders to add up to private school tuition!

Umm, yes! I am determined that this is the year I don't try to put too much in my schedule. I have already spent the equivalent of a few days reading the latest Rainbow Resource catalog and found a list of books to research. I found many amazing resources and I really, really want to only buy what we can use with time to explore and learn and discuss. Will this be the year? We'll see, Shannon

It's not so much textbooks and core curricula that is the issue, but all the neat supplements, games, real literature books, science kits, manipulatives, and so on.

Oh, well...it takes a lot of RR orders to add up to private school tuition!

:iagree: Educational materials are the one place I feel good about splurging.