Menu

How do you use Strunk and White (The Elements of Style) in real life school?

I used this myself in my senior year of public high school. In fact, I still have my own copy. If I remember correctly (since it's been awhile since I was a senior lol), we simply read through the book as a class. I have handwritten notes and certain parts underlined.

I remember loving this book, probably part of the reason that I kept it! I can't wait to use it with my kids!

All I did with my oldest two was have them read through it for their "writing class" the first two weeks of school, for 9th-12th grades.

I don't know if my son remembers much of it, but my dd quotes it a lot! We all love that book. I also bought the illustrated edition for my next in line - it should be just the thing because he is a visual learner.

Thanks for the lesson plan link! It is fun to read how others have used it.

GardenMom

I see it on a lot of writing curriculum lists, but I have the book open in front of me and I can't see how to "assign" it.

What does it look like? Do you have your children write their own examples of the "Elementary Rules of Usage" or......?

Thanks.

Jo

I buy each child his own copy of the book. I have them read through it, highlighting or marking any section that they know they need to learn or practice. We discuss those sections. From then on, it is a reference book for their writing.

Jean