Menu

Looking for good nature DVDs that don't talk about global warming or evolution.

Our library has Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom on dvd & my kids love it! One of their favorite episodes is of Merlin Perkins & Jim Fowler wresting a 30ft anaconda & stuffing it into a bag to relocate it.

They were filmed a long time ago (back in the 70's??) & are very entertaining. I've watched most of them with my kids & don't remember any evolution stuff, though I can't say for sure that there isn't any.

Our library has Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom on dvd & my kids love it! One of their favorite episodes is of Merlin Perkins & Jim Fowler wresting a 30ft anaconda & stuffing it into a bag to relocate it.

They were filmed a long time ago (back in the 70's??) & are very entertaining. I've watched most of them with my kids & don't remember any evolution stuff, though I can't say for sure that there isn't any.

That show is notorious for being FAKE.

Marlin Perkins, host of Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom (premiering in 1963), and Marty Stouffer, host of the Public Broadcasting Service’s Wild America (premiering in 1982). Like Disney they were pioneers working in a standards vacuum, but they set a new bar for nature fakery. Perkins was forever having his young assistants lasso and wrestle terrified tame animals to “rescue†them. “They were totally ruthless,†Wyoming cinematographer Wolfgang Bayer told the Denver Post. “They would throw a mountain lion into a river and film it going over a waterfall.†Wild Kingdom still airs on Animal Planet. Stouffer was no less brazen. In 1995—after he was fined $300,000 for cutting an illegal trail through the property of the Aspen Center for Environmental Studies to his illegal hunting camp on Forest Service land—his staffers began opening up to the press, reporting, for example, that he staged fatal confrontations between predators and prey. In his film Dangerous Encounters, a cougar is shown “attacking†a cross-country skier. It’s a playful pet roughhousing with its owner. Stouffer is still cashing in on Wild America episodes and Dangerous Encounters through Amazon.com and other outlets.

http://www.audubonmagazine.org/incite/incite1003.html

Anything wrong with David Attenborough?

Rosie

I'm guessing the fact that he mentions evolution quite often.

Granted, I'm not a creationist but I think it's a shame to miss out on some of the absolutely brilliant and beautiful docs out there like those by Attenborough because of the mention of evolution.

Anything wrong with David Attenborough?

Rosie

David Attenborough is wonderful. I :001_wub: him.

He definitely assumes evolution is the best explanation for the diversity of life on the planet. Climate change is also mentioned several times (eps wrt polar animals) in the Planet Earth series.

WE are not evolutionists but have decided to watch programs that mention it and the kids just find it somewhat annoying and tend to talk back to the show. FOr example, today we were watching a video about climate changes and the Professor was talking about how our mitochondrial dna comes from a time of a great ice age approx. 50,000 years ago. We aren;t young earthers so we didn't have a problem with that. But then he says that homo sapiens all evolved from that person or small group. Well, no, since that person 50,000 years ago was a homo sapien too, we didn't evolve from her, we are her descendants and she is our ancestor.

Exploration Films has two series that we personally own and love as they remind me of the quality of National Geographic, but from a Biblical perspective. One is a Wildlife Series of 6 films. The other is called Life's Story and has 2 volumes. I was excited when I found them and very impressed after viewing. My kids can watch them over and over again.