Menu

Why does the battery in my van keep dying?

It's happened several times over the last few weeks.

1) First time: the key was turned over just so the radio would play while I cleaned the interior of the vehicle. I let the radio play for about 20 minutes and when I tried to start the van the battery just clicked a few times and died.

2) Second time: same scenario. A friend had the key turned over for 15 minutes and when I came out of the store the van wouldn't start. The battery just clicked and died. (After I jumped it this time I noticed some corrosion on one of the terminals so I cleaned that off and thought I had fixed the problem).

3) Third time: I have no clue what happened. I went out to start the van this evening and it just clicked and died. We didn't leave any lights on, no doors left open, no cell phone charger plugged in... I can't figure out what zapped the battery.

I haven't jumped it this time. I will, but a storm is rolling in and I have to throw the van in neutral and back it up a bit in order to position a second vehicle close enough to jump it.

Do I need a new battery?

they last about 4-5 years in a van. We had to replace ours recently and the guy said it takes a lot from the battery to start a van and not to leave lights on or run the radio and such....it drains too much from it. The fact it's draining so quickly means you probably do need a new one. I too was having the constant drain and finally had it tested and sure enough needed a new one.

Have your leads checked. I had a problem similar to yours for awhile with my former car, and it turned out that one of the leads was loose. When the car was jumped, it would help position the loose lead properly for awhile. Once the leads were attached properly, no more problems!

We keep our cars 8 years or so, and have never had to buy a new battery for a car. We have 4 seasons, so the batteries go through a lot, esp. freeze and thaw in the winter. However, we don't have deep, deep winter freezes. We don't even drive our cars much anymore, but we used to drive the heck out of them. Heavy usage or light usage doesn't seem to matter. Maybe we're lucky!

Wherever you get your battery, save the receipt. If the battery lasts less than the 5 years or so, you can get a replacement battery at a pro-rated price usually. (My old car is very hard on batteries).

This sounds like the alternator. Make sure you have jumper cables in your trunk and know how to use them.

I would say that 1. you may need a new battery *or* 2. it may be your alternator

:iagree: I have had 3 batteries in my van, and my Saturn had alternator issues (it needed a new one every couple of years) so we have been through a lot of batteries. :glare:

Drive your vehicle to an auto parts store like AutoZone, Advance, Napa, etc. They have a tester they can roll out to your car that will do a load test on it in a couple minutes. They'll let you know whether it's bad or not.

I've had pretty good luck with the house brand batteries at Autozone. I think they are Duragold or something like that. If you're going to keep your vehicle for a while, buy the best one you can afford. Otherwise try to match the warranty to how long you think you'll keep it.