Menu

yoo-hoo...sock knitters...I finished a pair!!!!

I was here a while back asking about socks, wondering if I dared to try a pair even though I'm an inexperienced knitter. Well, I made one partial sock (ran out of yarn before the toe) using online videos by Kelley Petkun of Knit Picks. They are excellent, and walked me step-by-step through the process using the "magic loop" technique. Then I got the book Two-At-A-Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes and made the toddler sample socks. I did it!!! I made two socks at once, and they actually fit my 2 yo! They are a hideous burnt orange color (I was determined to use it up on these "practice" socks before making an investment) and may never be worn, but I'm so proud! Now I'm looking for yarn for ME and trying to decide what pattern to use. Two at a time was easy and fun; I'm so glad I tried it and grateful to the person who mentioned it to me here before. Maybe next time I'll try toe-up....

Thanks for your encouragement!

post-988-13535083640434_thumb.jpg

post-988-13535083640434_thumb.jpg

I am very impressed. Very! I am a new crocheter and a knitting coward so I appreciate that difficulty and courage involved here. Job well done! You definitely deserve a pat on the back.

PS I am also taking notes on what you used to accomplish this because I'm hoping one day to take the leap myself. Thanks!

:hurray:

Congrats on your first socks--that was so fast! I have that 2-at-a-time book but wasn't able to figure it out. I also gave up quickly as I knew I could do socks on dpn's with no trouble. But I just ordered the anklet kit from KnitPicks. Had no idea when I ordered that they were toe-up. So I plunged forward. Now I'm working on my first toe-up, magic-loop, 2-at-a-time socks!

For my own socks I like KnitPicks Stroll and Red Heart's Heart and Sole. And Paton's Kroy. I'm a cheap-o but these yarns make good socks!

Enjoy!

Cinder

Great job!

My favorite sock yarns are Dream In Color Smooshy and Koigu. The only area where I might be accused of being a snob is in the yarn world. I love the good stuff. I figure if I am going to spend all that time knitting a pair of socks, it ought to be the very best yarn I can find.

Are you on Ravelry? Lots of great free sock patterns on that website. I am catinblack on there also. You can "friend" me :-)

I just wanted to add a note. The book Two at a Time Socks does have lots of errors in it; you can find the corrections online. BUT...I didn't know there were errors until I was practically finished. If I came to something that didn't seem to make sense, I just plowed ahead and made the best of it. So what one doesn't know is sometimes helpful! I'm not an overly anal person, I guess. :)

I will say that the online classes were essential for me, because they not only demonstrate techniques step by step, but also gave me some wisdom that helped me through the book. For example, the book says to pick up 8 stitches on either side of the heel flap. Well, for whatever reason I didn't have exactly 8 stitches to pick up...and maybe I wasn't supposed to. A more advanced knitter might have known how to handle that. But the only reason I was able to move on without fear was because the online knitting videos had specifically addressed that. If you can knit and purl you can follow the online classes; they are very, very straightforward. I used my first sock just to practice things like picking up dropped stitches (didn't know how to do it, just fiddled) and fix twisted stitches. So be encouraged! If I can do it, there is hope for the world! :tongue_smilie:

The other thing is that I have never made one single knitted project, ever. Not even a knit-every-row baby blanket. I have made a very few knitted swatches to practice just knitting and purling. SO for those who are "working up to it", I just wanted to give you my background!

And two at a time is the coolest thing in the world!

I just wanted to add a note. The book Two at a Time Socks does have lots of errors in it; you can find the corrections online. BUT...I didn't know there were errors until I was practically finished. If I came to something that didn't seem to make sense, I just plowed ahead and made the best of it. So what one doesn't know is sometimes helpful! I'm not an overly anal person, I guess. :)

I will say that the online classes were essential for me, because they not only demonstrate techniques step by step, but also gave me some wisdom that helped me through the book. For example, the book says to pick up 8 stitches on either side of the heel flap. Well, for whatever reason I didn't have exactly 8 stitches to pick up...and maybe I wasn't supposed to. A more advanced knitter might have known how to handle that. But the only reason I was able to move on without fear was because the online knitting videos had specifically addressed that. If you can knit and purl you can follow the online classes; they are very, very straightforward. I used my first sock just to practice things like picking up dropped stitches (didn't know how to do it, just fiddled) and fix twisted stitches. So be encouraged! If I can do it, there is hope for the world! :tongue_smilie:

The other thing is that I have never made one single knitted project, ever. Not even a knit-every-row baby blanket. I have made a very few knitted swatches to practice just knitting and purling. SO for those who are "working up to it", I just wanted to give you my background!

And two at a time is the coolest thing in the world!

That is so wonderful!

I actually have a poncho project I need to finish from 5 years ago! :lol: Remember 5 years ago, ponchos came back?!?!

But then I'd love to try socks.

That is so wonderful!

I actually have a poncho project I need to finish from 5 years ago! :lol: Remember 5 years ago, ponchos came back?!?!

But then I'd love to try socks.

Gah--toss the poncho. "Come to the sock side!"* :D

Cinder

*I stole this quote from Liz, one of the hosts of Lion Brand's Yarncraft podcast

Gah--toss the poncho. "Come to the sock side!"* :D

Cinder

*I stole this quote from Liz, one of the hosts of Lion Brand's Yarncraft podcast

Cinder,

I just want to finish it...it was supposed to be for DD. It is in her fav. color (purple) and while she might not wear it out of the house, it will be like a nice winter snuggie/blanket.

It is like this one: poncho like mine

I made one panel and started the 2nd panel. I then lost the 2nd panel. I started the 2nd panel again and found the 1st-2nd panel. So now I have one panel, one small 2nd panel and one nearly completed 2nd panel.

I have since lost extra skeins of yarn. :willy_nilly:

Now I have to rip out the extra panel and pray I can finish it with what yarn I have. I haven't been able to find any on ebay.

I am determined to finish this. I think.