Menu

Amazing tennis

• Longest match ever: The Wimbledon 2010 first round match between Nicolas Mahut and John Isner on the 23rd of June, 2010, currently at 4-6, 6-3, 7-6, 6-7, 53-53 after 9hrs 02mins (In Progress). The fifth set, at 6hrs 07mins, is also the longest set in history (In Progress).

Most games in match ever: The Wimbledon 2010 first-round match between Nicolas Mahut and John Isner (153 or more games) (In Progress).

I love tennis. I play tennis. I teach tennis.

And although this match is outrageous it showcases what is wrong with the modern game.

It's all about the serve and less about the ability to play. This game is all aces or serve and return.

The commentator made some comment about a 17 stroke ralley as being the longest of the match.

This game hinges on whose serve will give out first, not who will play the best tennis.

I love tennis. I play tennis. I teach tennis.

And although this match is outrageous it showcases what is wrong with the modern game.

It's all about the serve and less about the ability to play. This game is all aces or serve and return.

The commentator made some comment about a 17 stroke ralley as being the longest of the match.

This game hinges on whose serve will give out first, not who will play the best tennis.

:iagree: Our pro always tells us to take the point to 3 hits. If we can hit it back the 4th time, we will win the point. (I mostly play doubles.) Of course, I really like to sneak to the net and put it away!

It's like watching gladiators but no one dies. There are no real breaks, no substitutions when someone is tired, and no end in site. And when it does end, no one gets to go pout in the locker room - each party will pack up his own bag and carry his own stuff off court, speak politely to the audience, and sit for reporters.

Love it.

It's like watching gladiators but no one dies. There are no real breaks, no substitutions when someone is tired, and no end in site. And when it does end, no one gets to go pout in the locker room - each party will pack up his own bag and carry his own stuff off court, speak politely to the audience, and sit for reporters.

Love it.

Thumbs up to this! My dh, who loves tennis, just said, "Very good summary!"

We are a BIG tennnis family here. Both of our dc play competitively in tournaments. But we don't get anything other than the regular non-cable channels. While out on errands, I happened to walk by a tv set that had the match on. I thought I was seeing things when I saw "21-21."

I zoomed home, grabbed the dc, said "school's over for the day!" and we all zoomed over to Gramma & Grampa's house because they have the channel!

As I told the dc, I have never seen anything like it in my life. And this will be the only time they likely will, too.

How incredibly beyond-words cool. So glad others of you enjoyed it too.

The continuation this morning is not going to be on ESPN. It will be on ESPNU, which is not included in our package. It will also be shown online on ESPN3.com. Do they not recognize that people really want to see this? I know, they probably have a contractual obligation to show the other matches.