Menu

Homeschool Co-op?

There is a homeschool co-op in our town. We haven't yet made any decisions about joining, but I'm wondering what others have to say about homeschool co-ops. Do you like, not like? Benefits?

I think that there are too many different types of coops or things labeled coops to be able to say if they are good or bad in general.

What does it offer? Is this something that you can't/aren't doing at home?

How much time commitment would it require? How will that impact your homeschooling at home?

What side benefits/negatives does it have? Does it line up with your faith/social concerns? How expensive is it and what other options would you have for that money?

I know people who've loved their coops and others who felt penned in by them. Only you can say if a particular group is a good fit for your family situation.

Personally, I love the concept of a coop, but am much more likely to join in if I can pick specific topics of value (like a science lab). In fact, I was the lab assistant for a science lab that my kids were too young for, just so I could gather insight into how to do one.

It depends. I tend to avoid things that require a full day and/or require that you use a specific curriculum. I like co-ops that are small groups of families getting together for a single class-book club, science experiments, history projects. In my experience, the latter works better.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I love my co-op. It is about 35 families. We meet every other week for Club Day (children take two classes from 2-4PM). The off weeks are usually field trips, playdates, etc. If you skip the off weeks, we only meet 5 times per semester so it isn't overkill or too demanding.

I also like that most all of the families live within a 15 mile radius. We are able to get together for Moms Night Out, social events for the families, and just support. It has been a blessing to us without adding any extra strain on our family.

There are lots of variables from co-op to co-op, but based solely on the ages of your children, my advice is to pass on the co-op for a few years. Co-ops are awesome and can offer a variety of classes, contacts, and friendships, but they are also a huge commitment and a lot of work. There may come a point where you feel you need to supplement the schooling you're doing at home with the classes a co-op can provide, but in my opinion all a young child needs to supplement schooling (if anything) is park days, playdates, and maybe field trips. If you can find a group that offers these things without the commitment of a co-op, take advantage of it and enjoy the freedom and flexibility that is available while your children are young.

Our homeschool support group did a co-op this past winter. It consisted of various classes such as art, science topics, music, drama, Latin. My children really enjoyed it, but I began to dread it. We were there all day, it was too long for my 4yo and 1yo. I decided we would not be doing that this year. Our hs group also meets once a week for 2 hours just to let the kids play. That's more my style, very low key.

Lee, hs'ing 5 with 1 waiting in the wings

There are lots of variables from co-op to co-op, but based solely on the ages of your children, my advice is to pass on the co-op for a few years. Co-ops are awesome and can offer a variety of classes, contacts, and friendships, but they are also a huge commitment and a lot of work. There may come a point where you feel you need to supplement the schooling you're doing at home with the classes a co-op can provide, but in my opinion all a young child needs to supplement schooling (if anything) is park days, playdates, and maybe field trips. If you can find a group that offers these things without the commitment of a co-op, take advantage of it and enjoy the freedom and flexibility that is available while your children are young.

:iagree: We tried a co-op when my dc were 7. It ended up taking a day away and adding too much stress. I've decided to wait until my dc are older.

We joined one this past year when my odd was 7 going into 2nd grade. I think it was a good time to join. Ours is a full day with 4 classes and lunch. It did make for a long day for my 5 yr old. She would be tired and a little burned out after lunch. She no longer naps, but in general I am not for all day K because I think kids that young need the free play and time off to just be a kid. Well, it was true, but since it was only 1 day a week mine adjusted, and we did it for the sake of my 7 yr old.

For the 7 yr old it was just what she needed this year. She got to be in some classes w/older kids. She is an advanced student and is more focused than kids her own age. So she often doesn't fit in with her Sun. School class friends who want to run around and be little. She wants to talk and discuss things and play organized games. It was really good for her to be with her peers.

As a family, we made some new friendships that we have carried over into summer. I did some reaching out as the year ended and asked moms whose kids mine were close to if they wanted to continue to get together.

I liked what it added to their overall education. I wasn't relying on any of the classes for their sole coverage in any given topic. All of the class info is specific to our particular co-op though.

In the end, my kids loved packing their lunches, playing on the playground with friends, having classrooms and other teachers, and making new friends. I like that they got all of that in a Christian setting and with me there with them. We will keep it up for another year for sure.

It depends. I tend to avoid things that require a full day and/or require that you use a specific curriculum. I like co-ops that is a small group of families getting together for a single class-book club, science experiments, history projects. In my experience, the latter works better.

:iagree: I have also seen folks only get together twice or even once a month to study a subject of interest. The latest I saw was a President's co-op that met once a month, and is going on its third year.

The homeschool support group I belong to offers a co-op. With ours, the kids have to at least be 3rd grade to participate. It is one day a week, with various classes to choose from: science, history, art, drama, social skills, etc. With ours, you register in May for the classes and they use a specific curriculum. We did it last year with my younger two and they enjoyed it. This year my dd is doing Elementary Science, Elementary History, and Art. My ds is doing Latin and Middle School Science. For us, it is more about the hands-on activities that they are able to do there, as that is not my strong point.

A benefit to co-op is the relief it brings others about your home school child and "socialization" Once you're a comfy home schooler, you certainly won't care about that at all :) While I know there are exceptions, I equate the "socialization issue" with Bigfoot.

Another benefit is simply an outlet for fun for your family and teaching break for you.

Group setting practice is a pro.

I find them more beneficial for elementary students, unless it is a lab or project for middle and high schoolers. By the time my dc reach middle and high schools, they don't have time in their schedules for fluff that might be acceptable in elementary school.

Kids can pick up bad behaviors and either model them or realize such behavior in themselves, so this can bring growth..or not.

I think they can be a great support group for moms and teachers and great places for mentorship.

They can provide an opportunity you may not be able to offer, like pottery, geography, etc.

I think they can be a danger to people who can't say no.

I know they often are cliquish and political.

Finally, I say, if at any time you're not enjoying a co-op, then reconsider your participation and check out as soon as commitments allow.

I wouldn't do it with such a young child. A co-op would be useful for, say, lab sciences, or advanced maths...anything you would have trouble teaching yourself. But with such a young child, I don't see the point.

Now, if there was a *support group* in your community, that did some field trips or park days or other informal activities, I could see that. Not a co-op, though.

I started a co-op in our area last school year. The condition I had was that it not be the whole school year. We do 8 week sessions once each semester. The kids really enjoyed it and so did I. It was good to get out of the house one day each week, too.

I don't think I would have participated if it had been the whole school year. That would be too time consuming for us.

It was only 3 hours, but because I was director, it really took most of our good school hours. If I were you, I wouldn't plan much school work that day of the week.