Menu

resources/tips/ideas for beginning running?

I am not a runner. Never have been.

But, I would like to be.

Tips/ideas/resouces you can suggest? I am reading "Born to Run" right now & love the idea of non-athletic shoe running &/or trail running. The reality is, though, for now that I would probably be running in suburban areas &/or at a gym.

Help?! Please tell me I *can* do this. :001_smile:

Couch to 5 K program from Cool Running

It's interval training which over 9 weeks (run 3x/week) gradually builds you up to running 30 min non stop. There are podcasts by a guy named Robert Ulrich and a lady named Carli with music time to the intervals.

If you google around you'll find them.

I'm almost finished week 4. It's, um, not as terrible as I thought it would be. :D

BTW, I hate running & I expect to continue to hate running. I'm just in it b/e it's time efficient & my butt was growing at an exponential rate.

I need to start running again, I hate it but I always felt so much better when I did run.

When I started I would alternate a fast walk and a run for so many minutes each. Like I would walk then run for a minute then walk for a few, then run.. Then eventually it gets easier and you end up running more then walking.

Although I have heard just a good fast walk is better then running, not as hard on your knees as running is. ;)

interval training. Walk 4 minutes, run 1. Do that until you can walk 3 min, run 2. keep going until you are running 4, walking 1 and then work your way up from there.

I am doing intervals but with a HRM. When my max heart rate is reached I walk briskly until back to 140 and then I run again. They are short intervals, lol.

I too am not a runner, never have been but have always wanted to be!!! At this point I want to be able to run 3 miles without stopping. It will come in time :-)

Start slow. Stretch. Buy good shoes.

Start slow - I have honestly never done the coach to 5K, but it works. I've done the Road Runner Sports version of pretty much the same thing, once. The important thing is to not go too far, not go too fast but keep doing it. Over time you will get better. As in other things failure to plan is planning to fail. C25K is a plan work the plan whatever you do.

Stretch. You are not a teen anymore (are you???). Your body needs some warning you are about to go move, a lot. If I don't stretch I get injured. I stretch, every time. Even when I only have 30 minutes to run, I stretch. It works.

Buy good shoes. Expect to pay around $100. Yes, that's a lot. But believe me, you will be thankful later. Bad shoes are just that bad. I buy mine on-line, but I've been running for 27 years, off and on. Go to a store that specializes in running shoes and get fit for shoes. I can not stress this enough. Good shoes will save you from many injuries. Again, you are not a teenager! At a good store, they will look at your feet, look at the wear patterns on your shoes, watch you walk and then get some shoes for you. Then they will send you outside to run in them.

After you've been running and then start hurting and ask us what's wrong the very first thing we will ask you is how are your shoes?! Old shoes may need to be replaced. (I need to replace mine!) You bought your running shoes at Walmart, sorry but not good enough. I run in Asics. DH runs in Brooks. My dad runs in Nikes. They all fit differently. Our feet are all different. I can't run in Nikes, they are too wide in the heel.

Have fun! I enjoy running but it is a chore to get out there in the summer.

I run in Asics. DH runs in Brooks. My dad runs in Nikes. They all fit differently. Our feet are all different. I can't run in Nikes, they are too wide in the heel.

Yep, my DH loves his Brooks, my instep is too high, they are too tight on my foot. I love my Mizunos, I wear the Inspire.

Yep, my DH loves his Brooks, my instep is too high, they are too tight on my foot. I love my Mizunos, I wear the Inspire.

I WISH I could wear Mizunos!! I love how light they are. But, they don't provide the support for my feet. Right now I'm in Brooks, but I prefer Adidas.

See? Everyone wears a different type of shoe. Definitely go get fitted at a running store.

I second everything momofkhm said!! And, hang in there!!! I started running 2.5 years ago. I still remember the day I ran 3 miles straight for the first time. I was ecstatic!!!! I started entering races and loved the feeling I'd get after conquering a distance. Good luck!!!! And, stick with it - even when you want to quit!!