Menu

Favorite places to eat in Washington, DC?

We just got home from a week in DC.

Ben's Chili Bowl is all the rage right now:

http://www.benschilibowl.com/ordereze/Default.aspx

The food is serious diner type food and you'll need to walk and walk and walk afterwards! It is tasty, though, if not healthy! Plus, there is some history to the place that's interesting to find out about.

We ate at museums quite a bit. The Smithsonian museums are free but they make up for it since there are few actual restaurants in the mall area downtown. You can eat in their cafes though, and although pricey, the food is good.

If you walk into town, like past Ford's theatre, there are more restaurants. If you get off the metro at the Chinatown exit there is a street filled with places to eat, although mostly chain type places.

Just a quick recommendation for catching Madeline Albright's brooch/pin display in the old Smithsonian castle. It is really cool. Apparently, she made many diplomatic statements using her jewelry and the brooches with accompanying stories are really fun to read.

Have a great time!

My favorite place to check is the Washingtonian. In fact, the current issue lists the top cheap places. However, you can search their database for anything you want, by ethnicity, neighborhood, etc. They also list their "100 Best Restaurants" now as well--see here (this link also takes you to the searchable database): http://www.washingtonian.com/sections/restaurants/index.html.

Have fun!

Dukem! Hands down the best restaurant in DC. :001_smile:

The big veggie combos are amazing, the baklava is served warm (:001_tt1:), and ethiopian coffee is strong and beautiful.

There's a band, dancers, frankincense, coffee beans roasting... if anyone in the group is sensitive to scent and sound, it wouldn't be a good fit, (at least when there are performers there).

We also like eating at museums, my girls 8 & 11 think it's very cool to take a break from art to have tea, or soup and salad.

someone gave them the tip that you could get good deals at lunch time by eating in the employee cafeterias. My mom said it worked well for them, as they would eat their biggest meal in the early afternoon while resting a little, and then have more snack-like food in the evening.

Capital Grille - in DC and in NoVa

Morton's -- any of them

Joe Theismann's in Alexandria (although we see him dining at Morton's quite often :D)

Gilbert's in McLean

M & S Grill in Reston

Clyde's (and the one in Ashburn - kind of a drive from DC - is fascinating and beautiful)

Tons of places in Georgetown (check out Washingtonian)

Old Town Alexandria has tons of great places too - (check out Washingtonian)

When DH comes home, if he has any other suggestions, I will edit.

Originally Posted by pqr viewpost.gif

The Afghan Restaurant, 2700 Jeff Davis Highway, Rt 1 in Alexandria. Superb.

Mmmm.. I just checked out their menu. I'll be adding this to my list for our next visit.

Thanks!

When you go be aware that the buffet line is not as good as the single order items on the menu, even so the food is fantastic.

We just got home from a week in DC.

Just a quick recommendation for catching Madeline Albright's brooch/pin display in the old Smithsonian castle. It is really cool. Apparently, she made many diplomatic statements using her jewelry and the brooches with accompanying stories are really fun to read.

Have a great time!

It's one of the reasons we're going now--- funny story: I bought my mom the book for Christmas, and she bought it for me! We're both big Madeleine Albright fans, but since Mom lives with us, we returned one of them. The book is really wonderful.

Thanks for the recommendations-- I'd heard a bit about Ben's Chili Bowl, so we're planning to stop there. How long is the wait?

astrid

Will you be staying in D.C. or outside of it?

Our favorite places to eat are P. F. Chang's Chinese restaurant in the Tysons Galleria and Chipotle Mexican Grill (all over Northern Virginia).

We're staying in DC; the Holiday Inn near DuPont Circle.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I've made a list!

astrid