Menu

Our ceiling fan fell!

Dh, ds#3 and I were sitting on the couch watching the basketball game and we heard something unusual. Dh thought maybe it was one of the speakers (kind of had that soft "boom" sound that happens when the wiring gets tapped or something). Less than a minute later the ceiling fan/light fixture crashed down to the ground! It came down from a vaulted ceiling; thankfully it was slowed a bit from the wiring still being mostly connected before it fell. But, oh my ... one of us (especially ds#3) could have been sitting under there. :( There was glass everywhere (there were four light bulbs/globes). I think I got it all up ... it was getting hard to see in there without the light from the ceiling fan. Man that was scary.

You have just lived through one of my great fears about my house. We had a ceiling fan in our living room but no overhead light. I HATED how dark it was, so for Christmas, DH bought me a new fan with a light. He went to swap them out only to discover our fan was installed into drywall. No studs, no block, nothing. Needless to say, we returned the fan and went for an overhead light.

But we have ceiling fans in all our bedrooms and it has me wondering what exactly they are attached to. I only spin them on low now because I don't want them to wabble too much and come crashing down on our heads.

We have fans/lights in all the bedrooms too. I know they are all securely installed. I think the problem in the den was that it was on an extension pole due to the vaulted ceiling. The install part is still up there, pole and all!

We so need a fan in that room too (and lighting ... we have soft lighting behind the couch, but nothing that you could really read by or play a board game or anything else). It's the warmest part of the house and I don't like putting on the A/C if I can avoid it. But now I'm scare to put anything back up there.

I'm not sure if the fan is salvagable; the light fixture wasn't (the sockets for the bulbs were bent from the force of the crash). I love the fan, and buying a new one really isn't in the budget right now. But, we'll have to figure out something. Oh man ... I can still see it coming down.

You have just lived through one of my great fears about my house. We had a ceiling fan in our living room but no overhead light. I HATED how dark it was, so for Christmas, DH bought me a new fan with a light. He went to swap them out only to discover our fan was installed into drywall. No studs, no block, nothing. Needless to say, we returned the fan and went for an overhead light.

But we have ceiling fans in all our bedrooms and it has me wondering what exactly they are attached to. I only spin them on low now because I don't want them to wabble too much and come crashing down on our heads.

Can you climb a ladder and tap around on the walls to see if they are anchored in to studs?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest arisyap
Dh, ds#3 and I were sitting on the couch watching the basketball game and we heard something unusual. Dh thought maybe it was one of the speakers (kind of had that soft "boom" sound that happens when the wiring gets tapped or something). Less than a minute later the ceiling fan/light fixture crashed down to the ground! It came down from a vaulted ceiling; thankfully it was slowed a bit from the wiring still being mostly connected before it fell. But, oh my ... one of us (especially ds#3) could have been sitting under there. :( There was glass everywhere (there were four light bulbs/globes). I think I got it all up ... it was getting hard to see in there without the light from the ceiling fan. Man that was scary.

Sorry to hear that. Just be thankful that no one has been hurt.

Yikes! That is really scary!! We have fans/lights in our living room as well as all the bedrooms too. We never run them though. Thankfully the one in our bedroom (the kids sleep in there too) is the at the foot of the bed....so even if it ever fell, it would not be on us. That is really freaky to think about.

I will have to tell my dh about this. I refuse to go to sleep with the ceiling fan running because I am scared it will fall and chop my head off.

Go ahead and laugh.

Glad you and your dc are unharmed!!!

"I refuse to go to sleep with the ceiling fan running because I am scared it will fall and chop my head off." I don't think that is going to happen so it does sound funny. :lol::lol::lol::lol:You did say "Go ahead and laugh. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am so glad to realize this is a bumped thread! I was starting to worry about how many ceiling fans are falling off!!!

When I saw it was bumped, I was a little afraid that others were chiming in with their own stories of falling ceiling fans.

Thank you everyone. It still is something that I think about when I see the fans on in the bedrooms (though we turn them off when people go to sleep). And, it has been so hot here the last few days - we really needed that fan in the den, but replacing it isn't in the budget just yet.