Menu

High School Health

We used Total Health. Next time, I do this with younger siblings, I will add in I Kissed Dating Goodbye and the Lesson Plans from MFW.

MFW has a package deal that includes all three of these items, Student text, lesson plans and "dating book" for $44.95.

I wish I had had the lesson plans. But I just didn't know about them.

HTH,

Brenda:001_smile:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

We started out with SOS Health but ended up doing the LIFEPAC Health and giving away SOS Health. The LIFEPAC's were just OK. I used them because I couldn't find anything better at the time. I plan on using Apologia's A & P (the new elementary text) for health with the rest of my children (the author said it was worth .5 credits for high school health :)).

We started out with SOS Health but ended up doing the LIFEPAC Health and giving away SOS Health. The LIFEPAC's were just OK. I used them because I couldn't find anything better at the time. I plan on using Apologia's A & P (the new elementary text) for health with the rest of my children (the author said it was worth .5 credits for high school health :)).

Not five minutes before (well within the past hour anyway lol) even seeing this thread, I had mentioned to dd that I don't have her health text yet. And I was looking through a book catalog and saw the Apologia elementary A & P book, and I said that that would probably make a great health text. And then I read your post!!! :D

Still not sure what we'll use, but the tests will be based on A beka's middle school health text. I've heard rave reviews about the high school one here, so I'm not sure why that isn't used instead. So I'm interested in what everyone has to say on this thread. :)

We started Total Health, but about 1/4 way through I decided to drop it. I just had ds read through the book. He was studying A&P at the same time. To me, health is one of those ridiculous classes that is a waste of time. Most (homeschool) teens know most of the material. I gave a ds a pass/fail grade on his transcript, but did not include it in his GPA.

I used SOS High School Health this past year, or at least my dd did. It got the job done, which is about all I can say for any of the health curriculums we have used. I agree with Susan in Arkansas that it is one of those ridiculous classes and a waste of time. But it is a requirement in NE so I look for something that will fulfill the requirement, but not take a lot of time.

Yvonne in NE

• 2 months later...

Yvette, did you order the Intellego high school Health? Has anyone? Any input would be appreciated. I liked the very abbreviated sample on CurrClick, and the Intellego site has no samples....so I e-mailed them asking for more info esp about things that could be an issue like gender roles, sexual orientation, unplanned pregnancies. We'll see what reply I get. I would like to spend a little time each year, on health issues, and the list is pretty comprehensive, from first glance. I just can't like Total Health, and found almost no reviews that recommended it in a way that appealed to what I want, although some folks really love it, and review it quite highly. Walch has a Science Literacy:Health that I like better, and it is secular, but its middle school and I'm looking more for high school. Anybody have any good ideas on Health? It would be nice to have something interesting and creative to work from, NOT a textbook.

Thanks for any reply,

LBS

I have a year to figure this out, but these were my thoughts:

The Teaching company has a course on nutrition that looked pretty good.

I would have them take a REd Cross First Aid Course.

Some kind of dating book: I Kissed Dating Goodbye or Passport to Purity or something like that... perhaps visiting a pregnancy crisis center and interviewing those that work there

Having a drug counselor or former addict come speak as part of a field trip for our group.

I want to have some kind of fitness component in there as well.

Christine

I should add that we only use Abeka once in their 4 year high school years. Since PA wants to see health studied to some effect every year, on other years I have mine read "Nutrition Action" every month and choose an article to write a summary and thoughts about. Abeka goes far more in depth with body systems and the like. Nutrition Action keeps them up to date on the most current nutritional info. Both have been very effective at getting my BOYS to change their habits here at home. I've been very thankful. Somehow what mom and dad say just doesn't get through... but seeing it in print makes all the difference.

My middle son's microbio class at the cc this year has been good too, but that isn't exactly health credit. Still, he now knows not to use hand sanitizer or anti-bacterial stuff all that often. He didn't "get" that before. He does now! ;)

Yvette, did you order the Intellego high school Health? Has anyone? Any input would be appreciated. I liked the very abbreviated sample on CurrClick, and the Intellego site has no samples....so I e-mailed them asking for more info esp about things that could be an issue like gender roles, sexual orientation, unplanned pregnancies. We'll see what reply I get. I would like to spend a little time each year, on health issues, and the list is pretty comprehensive, from first glance. I just can't like Total Health, and found almost no reviews that recommended it in a way that appealed to what I want, although some folks really love it, and review it quite highly. Walch has a Science Literacy:Health that I like better, and it is secular, but its middle school and I'm looking more for high school. Anybody have any good ideas on Health? It would be nice to have something interesting and creative to work from, NOT a textbook.

Thanks for any reply,

LBS

I haven't ordered this yet, since I was thinking of using it for 12th grade. I may pick and choose among the topics, or at least give an alternate (Christian) viewpoint for some of the issues discussed. If you hear back from them, I'd love if you'd post it.

very quickly and to the point answer. It has made me sit up and notice Intellego. SO, how do people use Intellego courses? Must I print the whole thing out? I'm sort of joking, sort of not....I like printed paper for reading like this, researching articles and such is fine online. (So $20 download and $5 for ink and paper.....oh, maybe we could just read on screen.)

Let me seek permission to post their answer, first and then I will report back.

LBS

Edited by LBS

Hi, I've never purchased a book on CD or download before and so am a bit

nervous. However, I would like to see samples, and the one at Currclick is

too short. Is there any way I can have access to a bit more of a unit called

Health:9-12. I particularly wanted to see how sexual orientation, unplanned

pregnancies and gender roles are handled.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Larkin Smith

Hi Larkin,

Thank you for your interest in Intellego Unit Studies.

Unfortunately, we do not have any other pages loaded onto the previews for Grades 9-12 Health. However, I can tell you a little bit about us and ourphilosophy, and if that does not answer your questions, please just let me know what specific questions you have.

Intellego Unit Studies is a secular company. That means our curriculum does not teach from any specific religious worldview. Therefore, the topics you asked about are taught from a non-religious perspective with a health focus.

For example, gender roles are addressed as a social construct. Students

analyze stereotypes and the socialization process as reflected in US popular culture. They then study the impact that stereotypical gender roles can have in opposite-sex dating relationships, including violence against women.

The section on sexual orientation respects the diversity of the human

experience. We do not discriminate against gay, lesbian, bisexual or

transgender individuals. The photographs used within the unit study do

reflect same sex and opposite sex relationships.

The section on unplanned pregnancies does not preach a specific outcome, and the lessons involve the teens in researching and understanding the physical,emotional and financial health considerations when faced with an unplanned pregnancy.

As with all of the issues presented in our curriculum, we expect that

parents are involved in their children's learning and that your family

values guide how certain topics are addressed.

I hope this has answered your questions. If not, please don't hesitate to

contact me.

Regards,

Steve

Customer Service

Intellego Unit Studies

When I sought permission to publish his reply on this board, he also added

"we feel strongly that all children should be able to see themselves in the curriculum. This includes racial and cultural identities as well as sexual orientation. As another example, we wanted to address the issue of gender roles and violence against women because nearly half of all college-age women do experience violence in relationships...... I should add that our founder, Michele Wolf, served as a professor of education for many years, teaching courses on race, class and gender in the United States. Therefore, she carries the underlying concept of social justice through every one of our unit studies. This appeals to many, but we understand, it does not appeal to all."

I think I have found just what I wanted. I like that it can be used over four years of high school. Thanks Yvette, for putting this out there. I apologize to the OP that I got off on a secular option, which is what I was seeking, but possibly not what she was.

LBS

Edited by LBS

We used SOS Health for a couple kids. As someone else said, it got the job done. It was easy to use, independently used, and covered everything that needed to be covered. We talk a lot about health, nutrition, fitness, etc. in our home, so really -- I don't think they learned anything new! Also, I cut out the longer assignments and tests. We just did it to have on record that we had health.

Last year I tried something else for my 9th grader, Total Health (for Middle School Grades). I counted it as high school credit. It was fine.