Menu

United States History question

Wish I could give you a good answer. I don't use one book or another with history. I find that you can't get both sides of the story that way. Instead I have a few base books and we supplement a lot. I can tell you for 9th grade we used a series of books called Our Great Heritage along with others and had many debates and discussions. I really enjoyed these books as back up. They are from 1976 with the bicentennial, but it seemed like they wanted to paint the full picture. They were willing to go into detail about some flaws and consequences in our history including those of our Presidents and events in history. For example, the Whiskey Rebellion with the force of the Army to stop it was mentioned. It went into both sides and how Washington had remarked about the Democratic societies encouraging the uprising. This was the first time he has not been above the partisan lines and because of it he forfeited his reputation for neutrality and nonpartisanship. It went into how the rebellion actually weakened the position of the president, but strengthened the hand of the Federal government at that point.

There are many other examples and I love that after all this time we haven't changed much. They talked about the inability of many of America's top leaders to get along with each other. How there was also extreme bitterness and distrust between the Federalist and the Republicans; even then the tactics of smear campaigns started to emerge. Go figure.

The books are definitely not a series I would follow as my main stay, but it was wonderful to bring in another view to the picture. It was the only book I've seen so far that has been willing to lay it out on the table and inform you on how things were and why; even it if meant not letting us believe it was picture perfect.

Like I said, we used many many books with about 5 base books and we would use them all to build up the history and get involved. Then we would discuss and look closely at those pieces to get a better understanding of how and why.

I'm looking forward to seeing more replies to this question. I've basically decided to combine U.S. and World history.

Right now I'm planning on using Beautiful Feet "Early American & World History" next year for 9th grade, "US & World History: Civil War to Vietnam" (just up to the 20th century) for 10th grade, then Sonlight Core 300: 20th Century World history for 11th grade.

My dd is using America: Last Best Hope and the companion website, RoadMap to America. We are spreading it out over two years, and she just finished year one. I added in some extra reading, but she mainly used the study guide resources and took the tests and I felt it was just right for 9th grade. This next year I'll be having her do more writing assignments as this is the area she has the most struggle in.

Don't let the name throw you. It comes from a quote by Abraham Lincoln! We found this to be a very balanced text and loved the narrative style.

Here is link to the Roadmaps site: http://www.roadmaptolastbesthope.com/

:)

My son's going to use American Vision (Glencoe) along with the Teaching Company US History DVDs for Grade 11 in the Fall. Then starting in February, we'll add in practice SAT Subject American History practice books. We're shooting for the June SAT Subject US History test. Well, that's at least our plan as of now!

Myra

We're not sure yet, either, but I bought (used) these things after asking here:

Tindall's America

The American Pageant

American Journey.

My middle on is going to use the first one. My eldest is probably going to use The American Pageant after initially dismissing it as too boring. I got the last one for $6 including shipping because someone here recommended it & I couldn't find it from the library.

As for my favourite one, it doesn't appear to have been written. Dd would like one written by SBW a la HOTAW but with questions at the end of every chapter or a workbook to go with it.

We combine US and World History over the high school years. However, favorite US books included:

• History of the American People (Paul Johnson)
  • Arguing About Slavery (William Lee Miller)
  • Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (Brown)
  • Founding Brothers
  • John Adams (McCullough, though we also read a biography by Catherine Drinker-Bowen)
  • Autobiography of Frederick Douglass

Of course, they read various other books about US history as well, but these are the favorites.

We combine US and World History over the high school years. However, favorite US books included:

• History of the American People (Paul Johnson)

• Arguing About Slavery (William Lee Miller)

• Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (Brown)

• Founding Brothers

• John Adams (McCullough, though we also read a biography by Catherine Drinker-Bowen)

• Autobiography of Frederick Douglass

Of course, they read various other books about US history as well, but these are the favorites.

A History of the American People by Paul Johnson is one I have and read in from time to time, but I think it is way more information than my 14 year old will be interested in by this Fall. However, I may read some passages from it to her as she studies U.S. history.

A History of the American People by Paul Johnson is one I have and read in from time to time, but I think it is way more information than my 14 year old will be interested in by this Fall. However, I may read some passages from it to her as she studies U.S. history.

My ds did Beautiful Feet, but dd says it is more information than she wants to wade through. I looked at many textbooks..... Notgrass, BJU (both 8th and 11th grades), Lifepak, and samples of many other books as well (Tindalls, Patriot's History, more, I can't remember). I didn't mind Notgrass, but dd thought it was too much. I know people on the forum think Notgrass is light, but I read a review that stated it was rigorous, and I agree with the rigorous.... These are teenagers!! Not done yet!! I would see a sentence in a text that was loaded with meaning, and knew right away that my dd would just keep reading and miss the whole thing.... So..... drum roll....... she picked All American History. It covers everything, and is easy enough to understand and do, and there will be energy and time left over to go into "deeper" territory here and there.

I'm looking forward to seeing more replies to this question. I've basically decided to combine U.S. and World history.

Right now I'm planning on using Beautiful Feet "Early American & World History" next year for 9th grade, "US & World History: Civil War to Vietnam" (just up to the 20th century) for 10th grade, then Sonlight Core 300: 20th Century World history for 11th grade.

I thought US & World HIstory with BF was a 2 year course? How will you do it in one year?