Menu

Water bottles: alternatives to Klean Kanteen?

My dh needs a refillable water bottle for work. In the past he has always used Nalgene, but I thought I would try for plastic free.

He wants to be able to add ice, and he has told me not to spend a lot on it- because honestly, he doesn't give a hoot more than he needs agua readily accessible throughout the day, and there aren't exactly water coolers around every corner on the submarine. :D

Klean Kanteens seem pricey, but perhaps I don't know.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jo

Just a tip about Kleen Kanteen....the metallic smell is very obvious, particularly when drinking water. My sister's children will not use them for water, only juice. I don't think that Sigg has the same issue.

Another brand that I've seen in an outdoors store here in Canada is Laken. The shopkeeper told me that they don't have the same odour as Kleen Kanteen.

I like my Sigg bottle.I only drink water out of it.I 've never tried juice.I've dropped it numerous times and never dented or scratched it.The opening is small.I'm not sure I could get a full sized ice cube in it.I just put cold water in it and then sometimes refrigerate it for a while to get it really cold for a few hours.

I heard of Sigg, but I do not know if they are plastic or otherwise, or if they have small or large openings. Hope this helps.

I got my dh a Sigg bottle just recently from http://www.reusablebags.com/store/klean-kanteen-stainless-steel-sippy-stainless-p-687.html

They are aluminum, and supposedly they've improved the coating on them and they're better.

I bought one on closeout. But I think if I did it again I'd get a stainless steel one. I did get him a stainless steel coffee travel mug.

From their website...

Why is the Kanteen made in China?

The Klean Kanteen is made “responsibly†in China because one of our founding principles was to produce an economically priced high quality stainless steel bottle as an alternative to plastic and lined metal containers therefore promoting healthy living with respect for the environment.

Our preference from the outset has been to produce our bottles closer to home but extensive research in the manufacturing sector left us resolute that our bottles can not be made closer to home at a reasonable price without sacrificing quality and safety, something we are steadfast against.

Hmmmm. And it's still dadburn expensive. Something to think about.

Jo

We just bought Klean Kanteen's here. At first I thought the metal "smell" and "feel" would bother me - but it doesn't and no one else has mentioned it. Being made in China doesn't bother me because it is not coated or painted.

The opening is wide enough for ice. I bought the BUILT bottle insulators/covers from Reusablebags.com and I'm glad I did. The bottles get cold to the touch without it and they seem to insulate them well - keeps the water cold.

I've been pleased.

However, I'd be interested to know if there are other stainless steel alternatives as well.

All four of us have one. None of us have every noticed any smell issues (including my dd, who has a particularly sharp sense of smell and is, as a result, fairly picky about what she ingests).

These water bottles are built to last. I told my kids I expect them to bring theirs to college someday. I consider it money well spent.

I just replaced all of our siggs with klean kanteens. The Sigg bottles are aluminum with a coating inside but the opening is definately not large enough to fit a regular ice cube in, I also was unable to find a bottle brush (other than the one they make) that could fit inside to clean it. We have 3 large Klean kanteens and 4 small ones. My youngest uses it with the avent sippy lid adaptor and the older 2 kids and I use the sports cap. We had problems with our Sigg's denting and the caps breaking if we dropped them. We've had no problem with the Klean Kanteens if they are dropped. We also got the BUILT insulators and they are great. I love that I can snap it around the stroller handle so they don't get lost. We use them for water, milk, juice and soda and have had no problems. Even when a milk one was left out and spoiled it came clean with a simple hot soap and water wash. When this happened with one of my SIGG's I had to toss it, we couldn't get it clean.

The Klean Kanteen also has a good size opening so you can easily put ice in and they can be cleaned with any bottle brush you can find in the baby section of walmart or target. My oldest has found that he can put his kanteen under the ice dispenser of our LG fridge and there's no problem the ice goes right in with no spilling.

I know they seem expensive but to me they are definitely worth every penny.

If you buy a Klean Kanteen there a few places I know where you can use a coupon code.

I just noticed that Amazon has Klean Kanteens for slightly less than the KK price and they qualify for Prime/free shipping

I did actually go with the KK from Amazon because the actual KK website wanted over $20 in shipping [choke, sputter]. Unfortunately, I can't find the insulator thingies on Amazon- perhaps I'm using the wrong name- but if the coupons you mention, Hooty Tooty, apply to the insulation pockets then I would love them.

Thanks so much everyone.

Jo

About the "made in China" problem.

I still don't like it. I hate to contribute to the long distance shipping, trade issues, and overall lack of oversight in that country.

However the Sigg website will not disclose the formula of the liners in their bottles, but also mentioned that they were "flexible" in case of dents. This made me wonder what the heck that liner is made of.

Stainless steel is simple. No paint, no mysterious components.

It took me entirely too much time to figure these things out and decide. I still don't like buying from China, but I felt more informed than with the mysterious Sigg ingredients. Just my opinion. I could have almost flipped a coin at the end. :glare:

Jo

We've had no problem with the Klean Kanteens if they are dropped. We also got the BUILT insulators and they are great. I love that I can snap it around the stroller handle so they don't get lost. We use them for water, milk, juice and soda and have had no problems. Even when a milk one was left out and spoiled it came clean with a simple hot soap and water wash...

I know they seem expensive but to me they are definitely worth every penny.

I am really glad to see this thread and all of the pros and cons of the non-plastic bottles. I just splurged for my water-guzzling teen who has been reusing the bottles from the store (Eeek!) and myself--we are both getting a Kleen Kanteen with the BUILT sleeves! Mine is a bright and very cool striped pattern, too. LOL If we love them, I'll work on getting them for the whole family!

Thanks ladies for all the info. :)

We had SIGGs in the past. ALL got dented/broken very quickly. Now we use KKs.

I read an idea for a cheap water bottle (probably best for adults), VOSS water, it comes in a glass bottle.

Just throwing this out there for anyone not able/not wanting to spend the $ for SIGGs or KKs.

HTH!:001_smile: