Menu

Ideas, please, 'what to see and do' in Roanoke, Va Jul 22-25th.........

thanks!

dd11 may be attending a Lacrosse Goalie School in Roanoke (actually Salem, Va - don't know if those are the same or what - will have to find out :confused:) from 7/22-7/25. She will be in a dorm (:w00t:), and we will stay at a hotel nearby (well, actually, I will be camped outside her dorm room - :lol:), but I am looking for suggestions as to what there is to do and see nearby.

We went to Roanoke, Va once when they were all very young - we went to see THE WIGGLES 323439551_58e7fac118.jpg in concert (I use that term loosely), perhaps it would best be referred to as a 'show.' :tongue_smilie:

Natural Bridge is about 45 minutes away and it really neat. They normally have a laser light show in the evening but check their website for times. There are lots of commercial caverns in that area as well that are fun. A drive on a portion of the blue ridge parkway is also an enjoyable thing to do. There are places where you can pull off and walk some as well. It is pretty country there and lots of outdoorsy things to do. I lived in Newport News, VA on the other side of the state but I always enjoyed going to this area.

and historical "stuff." It's an hour north of Roanoke on I81.

Another "not in Roanoke but worth a day/afternoon" is the WWII memorial in Bedford. If you've seen the first ten minutes of Saving Private Ryan, the memorial takes on a whole new intensity. It includes a lake/pool and a stylized cliff that represent the beaches the men landed on. There's a sound of gunshots, and it's VERY surreal. When we went, I developed an even deeper appreciation for my grandfather, who was part of Patton's 5th.

The Shenandoah Trail runs right through that area, so you might want to check out Skyline Drive for a hike, too.

If you like antiques, you'll be in heaven. Salem/Roanoke and the area within about an hour's drive is FULL of antique shops. :)

Lisa (who used to teach at National Business College in Salem. ;-)

well, you're just missing the Salem Fair by a few days, bummer.

Downtown Roanoke on the Market

http://www.downtownroanoke.org/market.htm
and use the side bar for attractions and all of that.
http://www.downtownroanoke.org/attractions.htm

You might try out Dixie Caverns in Salem if you don't want to drive too far up I-81 for the fancy stuff.
http://www.dixiecaverns.com/

Mill Mountain Zoo is probably not worth it based on my last time there.
http://www.mmzoo.org/
But I've heard that the Discovery Park nearby is ok. It's entered from the Blue Ridge Parkway.
http://www.roanokeva.gov/85256A8D0062AF37/vwContentByKey/N268TRBJ676JEASEN

have a great time!
-crystal

and historical "stuff." It's an hour north of Roanoke on I81.

Another "not in Roanoke but worth a day/afternoon" is the WWII memorial in Bedford. If you've seen the first ten minutes of Saving Private Ryan, the memorial takes on a whole new intensity. It includes a lake/pool and a stylized cliff that represent the beaches the men landed on. There's a sound of gunshots, and it's VERY surreal. When we went, I developed an even deeper appreciation for my grandfather, who was part of Patton's 5th.

The Shenandoah Trail runs right through that area, so you might want to check out Skyline Drive for a hike, too.

If you like antiques, you'll be in heaven. Salem/Roanoke and the area within about an hour's drive is FULL of antique shops. :)

Lisa (who used to teach at National Business College in Salem. ;-)

Thank you - historical sites are great -- and what we really want to do. As for the antiques: money_in_hand.jpg

Thank you, I will be prepared.:D

Natural Bridge is about 45 minutes away and it really neat. They normally have a laser light show in the evening but check their website for times. There are lots of commercial caverns in that area as well that are fun. A drive on a portion of the blue ridge parkway is also an enjoyable thing to do. There are places where you can pull off and walk some as well. It is pretty country there and lots of outdoorsy things to do. I lived in Newport News, VA on the other side of the state but I always enjoyed going to this area.

Fantastic! Thanks so much!!!!!!!!:)

I attended a Wiggles show in 2002 at the Civic Center too.

(I grew up in Salem. my parents are still there)

well, you're just missing the Salem Fair by a few days, bummer.

Downtown Roanoke on the Market

http://www.downtownroanoke.org/market.htm

and use the side bar for attractions and all of that.

http://www.downtownroanoke.org/attractions.htm

You might try out Dixie Caverns in Salem if you don't want to drive too far up I-81 for the fancy stuff.

http://www.dixiecaverns.com/

Mill Mountain Zoo is probably not worth it based on my last time there.

http://www.mmzoo.org/

But I've heard that the Discovery Park nearby is ok. It's entered from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

http://www.roanokeva.gov/85256A8D0062AF37/vwContentByKey/N268TRBJ676JEASEN

have a great time!

-crystal

I'll bet we were at the SAME Wiggles Show!:lol:

Thanks for the links -- that is SUCH a time saver.:)

Eat breakfast at the Roanoker Restaurant. It was rated one of the 10best in the country by Southern Living magazine. Get on 81 and take 581 toward downtown Rnoke. Exit for Colonial AVenue (not the Wonju St one, though). Go to red light at end of Colonial AVenue exit and turn left. The Roanoker is just a bit down the road on your left.

Any thing in particular you would like to see. Knitting shops, malls, specialty shops, etc. Just ask. I lived in Roanoke for 10 years, spent 17 years in Manassas, and have been in Blacksburg for the last 7 years. I go to Roanoke twice a week to keep my grandbabies. Science Museum and Transportation Museums are good. There are some great parks in Salem and Roanoke. One is walking distance of Roanoke College. Also walking distance is Bob and Mac's Restaurant--wonderful food! And Mill Mountain Coffee & Tea on the same street.

Eat breakfast at the Roanoker Restaurant. It was rated one of the 10best in the country by Southern Living magazine. Get on 81 and take 581 toward downtown Rnoke. Exit for Colonial AVenue (not the Wonju St one, though). Go to red light at end of Colonial AVenue exit and turn left. The Roanoker is just a bit down the road on your left.

Any thing in particular you would like to see. Knitting shops, malls, specialty shops, etc. Just ask. I lived in Roanoke for 10 years, spent 17 years in Manassas, and have been in Blacksburg for the last 7 years. I go to Roanoke twice a week to keep my grandbabies. Science Museum and Transportation Museums are good. There are some great parks in Salem and Roanoke. One is walking distance of Roanoke College. Also walking distance is Bob and Mac's Restaurant--wonderful food! And Mill Mountain Coffee & Tea on the same street.

Fabulous information -- thank you so much! Coffee, food, walking! Wow -- now I am even more excited about this than dd! If I have any questions, I'll ask - thanks again!

Salem is pretty much the same as Roanoke. They just kind of merge into one another.

Mill Mountain is right there, and Mac& Bob's and Macados, and several other little restaurants. The library is also within walking distance of the college.

I went to Roanoke College, and I currently live about five minutes from there. Where will you be staying? You're welcome to come over, and we would be happy to show you around.

There is a lot of nice shopping, small stores and such. There is a lot of pretty hiking and outdoor attractions. There's a science museum and an art museum, but both are fairly small, but the science museum is interesting. There may be a minor league baseball game. There is often live music. There are a number of nice little day trips: Natural Bridge, Lexington. Floyd has a lot of art.

Any particular interests?

Edited by Terabith

Salem is pretty much the same as Roanoke. They just kind of merge into one another.

Mill Mountain is right there, and Mac& Bob's and Macados, and several other little restaurants. The library is also within walking distance of the college.

I went to Roanoke College, and I currently live about five minutes from there. Where will you be staying? You're welcome to come over, and we would be happy to show you around.

There is a lot of nice shopping, small stores and such. There is a lot of pretty hiking and outdoor attractions. There's a science museum and an art museum, but both are fairly small, but the science museum is interesting. There may be a minor league baseball game. There is often live music. There are a number of nice little day trips: Natural Bridge, Lexington. Floyd has a lot of art.

Any particular interests?

MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL!!!!!!???????!!!!!!!!:w00t: I LOVE baseball - minor or major league! Oh, yes, dh and the kids do as well!

We only decided this morning that she will attend the camp, so tonight I will start looking at hotels -- suggestions are welcome.

I will PM you -- I would love to meet in IRL --you will hear from me.:)

Also, my mother in law says you can come over and play with clay/ pottery with her if you'd like. You definitely should go see the Roanoke Star and the weird miniature Graceland.

I will definitely PM you as we get closer to the dates. Thank you so much!:)

My brother luuuurves the Texas Tavern. But believe it or not, I've never been! I know I'm missing out. ;)

I will have to go and tell you all about it!;)

Macados. I went to Virginia Tech. I miss Macados.
Sounds like a plan! I think I just about have eateries covered! Thanks!:)

Macados. I went to Virginia Tech. I miss Macados.

We have Macado's here in Bristol, VA now. It took them a while to work out the kinks, but you can finally get good service there now.

Mariann, Drive south on 81 to Abingdon and bike the Creeper Trail and come visit me. Hungry Mother State Park is supposed to be a lot of fun. That is around mile marker 50 on 81.

We have Macado's here in Bristol, VA now. It took them a while to work out the kinks, but you can finally get good service there now.

Mariann, Drive south on 81 to Abingdon and bike the Creeper Trail and come visit me. Hungry Mother State Park is supposed to be a lot of fun. That is around mile marker 50 on 81.

How wonderful! Definitely! I will be in touch as we get closer to the dates! Ha! and dd thought she was going to have ALL the fun.........truthfully, her feet have not touched the ground since we told her she is going!:D

• 3 years later...

Our family is taking a trip from Knoxville Tennessee to Boston Massachusetts.   We will stop in Roanoke, VA and Philadelphia, PA.  My sons are interested in the Natural Bridge.  

Are their any coupons available?  I am considering purchasing a coupon book like an entertainment book.  Any suggestions?