Menu

Dance moms, questions regarding leotards

I think most dance leotard manufacturers make cotton/lycra blend leotards. We've had Body Wrapper, Danskin and Capezio. I will tell you, though, that Emma has very sensitive skin and problems with eczema, and even the cotton blend ones caused her whole back to break out in eczema where the edges of the leotard were. It was awful. I don't know that there is anything that will be completely non-irritating.

Does she not have uniform requirements at her school?

Eurotard's value line are mostly cotton and seem fairly soft and comfortable. You can buy them many places. Item 1043 is short-sleeved, 1089 is a tank, 10527c is cami-style.

Freed of London makes the leotards for RAD, and they're also largely cotton and very soft.

If you have real issues, ask the instructor about a substitution. There's one little girl in DD's classes who has sensory issues with anything tight or scratchy, so does class in a soft t-shirt and shorts (she doesn't do performances, at least not yet). I'm sure it's harder for the teachers, since they can't see her body as easily, but it's letting her participate and enjoy the class.

First of all, get them slightly loose. A size bigger than you might otherwise. Another idea is to wear two leotards, one inside out, the other right side out on top of it. (I sometimes wear my panties inside out to avoid the seam irritation at the elastic.)

my oldest wear's all cotton sports bras and camisoles under her leotards if they are irritating. Her studio has a "uniform" but it just has to be solid color and tight dance shorts. All the older girls have bra straps and backs showing in class because they need the support.

I would take her in to a dancewear store and see if she likes the feel of cotton or lycra better. The fit will be just as important as the style, fabric, and seams. For instance my daughter likes Motionwear the best, but much of that is because the torso is long enough to fit her and most other brands aren't. If she's young and growing you might want to check Walmart or Target for Danskin or whatever brand they're carrying first.

Plain tank or short sleeved leotards may feel better to her than those with narrow shoulder straps or crossed straps in the back. I'd also suggest hand washing and hanging them to dry because they do shrink a little if done by machine.