Menu

Discovery Streaming and Homeschool Buyers co-op: what am I missing?

astrid

Okay, I've gotten some fabulous reviews from ladies here about Discovery Streaming for Spanish instruction. They all say to be sure and use your Homeschool Buyers Co-Op for a discount.

So I found the Co-op. I signed up and apparently now have 100 points or whatever they start you with. But when I click on "foreign language" Discovery Streaming is not listed.

Conversely, when I google "Discovery Streaming" I can find the site, but I can't find anything about Spanish instruction.

This is frustrating, and i"m not finding it very user-friendly. There must be something I"m missing--- could someone simplify it for me? Sort of "Discovery STreaming and Homeschool Co-op for Dummies?

I'd be forever grateful!

Thanks,

astrid

Have you searched "educacion espanol" in DS?

Or "elementary spanish"?

Or, just "spanish"?

I no longer have DS, so I can't go in and walk you through it. . . I recall that it was awkward to search. Once you find videos you want, you will need to bookmark/save them to your account for easy finding later on. I did that a unit at a time so dc didn't have to worry about searching for the next video.

No, couldn't find that! Thanks for the link!

Now if I may ask--- could you tell me how this video series works? Are their supplemental materials? How do you access them? How long are the videos? Is there an answer key provided?

Sorry for the barrage of questions!

astrid

First you have to make sure you are in Discovery Streaming. Go to your subscriptions page and you should have a link there. Make sure your password works etc.

Once you are on the United Streaming site you can search for the spanish course. The Middle School course is titled: Educación Española: Spanish Instruction

The Elementary course is titled: Elementary Spanish

Once you find the courses you can put them in your "content" for easy access. Be sure to click on the "related materials" because in there you will find a pdf file of all the planning pages, teacher helps and worksheets that are presented in the lessons. I print out the worksheets for each lesson as we go along. The answers are toward the end of the pdf file. The videos are 30-45 min long. Hope this helps!

Edited by 2cents

Just this morning I watched the first lesson in the series for middle school. I am thinking this is just what I've been looking for for my 13yo dd! It did take me a while to figure out how to set up folders, add content, etc. There are tons of other material that I can use on there as well - for all subjects. I think I will get my $200 worth out of it for sure.

Edited by MamaT

Just the morning I watched the first lesson in the series for middle school. I am thinking this is just what I've been looking for for my 13yo dd! It did take me a while to figure out how to set up folders, add content, etc. There are tons of other material that I can use on there as well - for all subjects. I think I will get my $200 worth out of it for sure.

We're doing the middle this summer too. It is fantastic! Normally during the year we do FLVS online but thought this would be a good thing to keep things fresh. I honestly think the girls are getting more out of the Unitedsteaming course. It is great!

But when I click on "foreign language" Discovery Streaming is not listed.

Conversely, when I google "Discovery Streaming" I can find the site, but I can't find anything about Spanish instruction.

This is frustrating, and i"m not finding it very user-friendly. There must be something I"m missing--- could someone simplify it for me? Sort of "Discovery STreaming and Homeschool Co-op for Dummies?

Discovery Streaming has thousands of educational videos and other materials; the Spanish program is just one of many many programs they offer. Unfortunately, you can't see samples of the programs unless you've bought the Discovery Streaming package. Once you've bought it, you can search for Elementary Spanish or Educacion Espanol. We use Elementary Spanish, and there are complete student workbooks to print out as well as a TE. It's a great program, but there are so many other good videos and programs on DS (especially science), you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. :)

Jackie

But, and this is a dumb question, how do your kids like sitting there and watching these videos on the computer? I'm not talking about just the interactive Spanish program. I just wonder how my kids will crowd around the computer screen to watch a video.:confused: And no, I can't stream it to my tv. Anyone have a problem with this not being ideal either?

You can make the video whatever size you want it, although it does get pixelly if you blow it waaaay up. I've watched videos with both kids (three of us in front of a large monitor) and it was fine. We always watch Elementary Spanish together, it's never been a problem.

Jackie

Just a tip.... You can check your state . mine has a set up with the public television station to offer streaming educational content to the schools. When I emailed to register for it, it turned out to be provided by Discovery Education streaming. For FREE! And I just added the middle school spanish videos into my folder along with a ton of physics videos. YEA!!

But, and this is a dumb question, how do your kids like sitting there and watching these videos on the computer? I'm not talking about just the interactive Spanish program. I just wonder how my kids will crowd around the computer screen to watch a video.:confused: And no, I can't stream it to my tv. Anyone have a problem with this not being ideal either?

My dh rigged up a cable so that the program plays on our big tv screen. The quality is quite good and the kids like watching it this way. We used to play it full screen on the computer but the TV made it a lot nicer and the sound plays through the tv too.

Just a tip.... You can check your state . mine has a set up with the public television station to offer streaming educational content to the schools. When I emailed to register for it, it turned out to be provided by Discovery Education streaming. For FREE! And I just added the middle school spanish videos into my folder along with a ton of physics videos. YEA!!

Yes, same here. We get it free in our state. I know several states do. Here's an article with states listed...

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/streaming.htm

Susan