Menu

Sprained toe in gymnastics

Dd8 hurt her big toe at gymnastics on Friday (another girl darted in front of her while she was sprinting for a vault). I don't think it is actually broken but it is very purple and hurts when she puts pressure on it. It's getting better each day but still hurts today and occasionally she limps. Tomorrow she has a 4 hour practice.

1. Should she go to gymnastics tomorrow?

2. Would it help to tape the big toe to the toe next to it for practice if she goes?

What are your gym's policies? Our girls are required to attend even if they are injured. They make adjustments for the injury in practice, but they are required to go.

Toe injuries are SO painful! Poor dd. :grouphug:

I would have it x-rayed to be certain it isn't fractured. DD just got over having fractures on 3 of her growth plates care of kicking a chair coming down from a handstand (at home). I don't even want to think how much damage she would have continued to do had we not gotten them checked. She was in a walking boot for a month which limited her gymnastics practice greatly. I vote get her checked, but if you cannot get her in today, to just restrict her actions.

I have 2 daughters who are competitive gymnasts (and a third on pre-team). I would definitely send her. Does your gym have protocols for different "broken parts?" We have a notebook with "broken part workouts" ( broken leg, broken arm, broken back workouts maybe a few more but I don't know anyone who has used them). Last summer my dd broke her foot on beam and worked out casted. A few months later she had a stress fracture and fragments on her elbow. Again, worked out casted. Hoping that your dd feels better and heals quickly.

I have 2 daughters who are competitive gymnasts (and a third on pre-team). I would definitely send her. Does your gym have protocols for different "broken parts?" We have a notebook with "broken part workouts" ( broken leg, broken arm, broken back workouts maybe a few more but I don't know anyone who has used them). Last summer my dd broke her foot on beam and worked out casted. A few months later she had a stress fracture and fragments on her elbow. Again, worked out casted. Hoping that your dd feels better and heals quickly.

They probably do. I've seen a number of gymnasts do modified routines with casts or braces. We are just very new to team so I'm still finding things out.

DD has been there and done that. It just comes with the territory. If she can handle it and you don't think it is broken then let the coaches modify what they can. Give it a week or so and it won't be so bad. We've worked out with all kinds of things. She still has all of her toes, working through it didn't cause any damage. They learn to be tough early the poor little things.:grouphug: Ruby