Menu

Koine Greek Resource Website

My 2 (almost 3) year old son has learned his Greek and Hebrew alphabet (with little prodding from us). Since he's curious and continues to ask about it, I've been searching for resources for his age (simple, simple, simple...basically the alphabet, letter sounds, etc.), but haven't been able to find simple enough resources...

...so, I've made my own.

Since he's responded so well to what I've made for him, I'm wondering about posting it all on a website for others to benefit from - some free, some for sale.

So, my question is...

Is this something you think people are interested in? Or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks for your input!

Thanks for all your input!

I was a Koine Greek minor in college and spent over 4 years studying Greek, so this is an enjoyment of mine. I'd love to share it with others as I think that children have the best advantage when learning it young. And it can be done!

I think that is a marvelous idea! I would sure be interested. I took a year of Greek in Bible College and I know some, but I would love to have something simple to teach to my children. The Bluedorn's have some books on teaching Greek, would it be similar to those? (I don't actually own any of them, so I'm not even quite sure what they are like exactly.) I will be interested to hear what you plan to do!! :)

Would love to hear more input if you have any!

Why would or wouldn't you think it's a good idea. Thanks!

I think it's a great idea because the overwhelming majority of Greek resources out there are either for an adult (seminary like) or for an older student (such as Elementary Greek). Not much out there for the younger ones (other than Classical Academic Press). Many folks find the idea of teaching Greek intimidating with the different alphabet and visions of Homer dancing in their heads. Something that is simple, gentle, and affordable would be wonderful. I'd love to hear what you can come up with 4 years of Koine study under your belt. Please keep us posted--pm me if you need a tester:). I have one boy begging for Greek (in addition to his Latin) and I'm unsure of how to water down my Machen for him...

I think it's a great idea because the overwhelming majority of Greek resources out there are either for an adult (seminary like) or for an older student (such as Elementary Greek). Not much out there for the younger ones (other than Classical Academic Press). Many folks find the idea of teaching Greek intimidating with the different alphabet and visions of Homer dancing in their heads. Something that is simple, gentle, and affordable would be wonderful. I'd love to hear what you can come up with 4 years of Koine study under your belt. Please keep us posted--pm me if you need a tester:). I have one boy begging for Greek (in addition to his Latin) and I'm unsure of how to water down my Machen for him...

That's exactly what I was thinking when I started making these resources! They are no means "professional", as I'm simply using my own computer, photoshop, PDF's and printer (rather than a publishing house), but they are colorful and engage my son.

As you mentioned, it's hard to find resources for little ones. My son is too young (and doesn't have the motor skills yet) to do the worksheets and complex workbooks for the resources you mentioned (as well as Song School Greek which is for kids, but still a little too advanced for his age), but his mind is keen enough to learn the alphabet and sounds.

Some of the resources I already have on hand are:

colorful greek alphabet poster

greek alphabet flashcards

greek alphabet audio (me reciting the greek alphabet, then giving a cheer at the end :001_smile:

greek alphabet video (visuals that go along with the audio clip) - my son LOVES this one

Some of the projects I'm planning on working on:

phonetics video (teaching symbol sounds)

illustrated phonetics reader (transliterations, like cat (kappa+alpha+tau))

simple scripture reader (like 3 word sentences from the Scripture)

handwriting practice sheets

I'd LOVE to have a few "testers" who could give me constructive criticism. My husband has given me the go ahead, so I'm already working on a website (I used to do website design, so this is a fun project for me :)).

The simple scripture reader sounds great. I'm *probably* going with an Attic text for my son (from Galore Park) and I think a list of memory verses (maybe with audio or even a fancy video highlighting each word as it is spoken) would be nice.

The big thing for me, with 4 kids, is non-consumable or something I can print myself. But PM me if you need a beta tester, I have a 7.5 and a 6 yo that would be happy to help!

Amy

• 2 weeks later...
Would love to hear more input if you have any!

Why would or wouldn't you think it's a good idea. Thanks!

It's a good idea, because the vast majority of the materials on the market are aimed at t(w)eens and adult learners, and by their format match the learning needs of that population. It's relatively hard to find something playful and colorful enough for children, yet "concrete" enough that they actually learn something (I know because I fought the same problem - while there are more than enough Hebrew materials on the (Jewish) market and internet, there is a lack of Latin and Greek materials).

It's a bad idea, because nobody who bothers to learn the basics of the basics of Greek and Hebrew themselves (since we're talking about the writing system, not complex syntax) is going to need it to the point of being willing to pay for the things you offer, i.e. the things you offer are too general (I mean, of course they are, since they're aimed at toddlers - but financially speaking, even if the prices are symbolic from what I see, I don't think audio and video should be for sale; if you're actually publishing other resources, those maybe) and not "concrete" enough to profit from using them more than to profit from using other (free) random sites or simply showing the writing system to your child and writing the big and colorful letters yourself or "adapting" the available materials a bit to suit children. So if you're specifically looking for profit, it might not be the most economic idea - especially for Hebrew, with all the existing (free, too) resources.

In short: great as a volunteer project, and not so wise as a business idea. Depending on what's your (primary) goal, it can be good or bad.

You have a cute toddler. :) Though it was kinda weird to hear Greek pronounced with an obviously American accent behind the letter names (I could have sworn I heard "yud" and "lamed", but then I figured out he's probably just pronouncing the letter names in English, with unclear vowels which I'm simply not accustomed to :)), but very cute.

I can't wait to take a look at your website. I have a three-year-old son who is currently learning the Greek alphabet (he is already reading English quite well). I'd like my children to study Greek, Hebrew, and Latin...but we will see. : )

Love it! And I love your philosophy. I have a toddler who has surprised us with his ability to memorize symbols from a very early age (on his own). I have wanted to take advantage of this and offer him beneficial things to memorize.

This isn't for kids (necessarily--it could be used by kids, but wasn't made just for them, iykwim) but sounds like it might be along the lines of what you were orignially looking for. (:confused:)

http://www.aoal.org/Greek/greekalphabet.html (click on each individual letter to hear it pronounced and see it written out)

http://www.aoal.org/Greek/ntgreekb/lesson01.html

HTH someone! :)

nobody who bothers to learn the basics of the basics of Greek and Hebrew themselves (since we're talking about the writing system, not complex syntax) is going to need it to the point of being willing to pay for the things you offer, i.e. the things you offer are too general (I mean, of course they are, since they're aimed at toddlers - but financially speaking, even if the prices are symbolic from what I see, I don't think audio and video should be for sale; if you're actually publishing other resources, those maybe) and not "concrete" enough to profit from using them more than to profit from using other (free) random sites or simply showing the writing system to your child and writing the big and colorful letters yourself or "adapting" the available materials a bit to suit children. So if you're specifically looking for profit, it might not be the most economic idea - especially for Hebrew, with all the existing (free, too) resources.

This is something I was kind of wondering about. Are people be willing to buy these resources? I haven't found anything quite like this for free (and it takes a bit of time to reproduce colorful and clean looking resources like this yourself - trust me! that's what I've been doing for my little one). But if people aren't going to be interested in buying the posters, flashcards, etc. I can make them into FREE downloadable "do-it-yourself" products, that will take a "little" work on the parents part. For instance, for the poster, I could give a free download of a 3-page color document of the Greek letters that parents could print on sticker paper, then paste to a white poster board (which is what I initially did). It looks much cleaner than handwriting it out yourself.

What do you think?

On the other hand, I wouldn't be willing to give the Greek reading books I'll be illustrating and publishing for free because of the time and labor put into that. But going back to what you said, is that something that parents will be interested in? No matter what, I'll be using them for my little ones to get them on their way reading the NT with fluency. I'll most likely be posting them on the website through a print-on-demand publisher so that I'm not losing any money out of pocket (with printed books sitting in my house waiting to be bought).

The books will be geared for kids, but won't be light and fluffy in that they aren't "going anywhere", simply teaching Greek vocab. All of the words taught are straight out of the New Testament, and by the end of the first series (Books A through E), the child will have learned nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs (present active indicative), to-be verbs, conjunctions and prepositions and will be able to read short sentences (along with a few select sentences from Scripture).

So, again, is this something parents will be interested in buying?

I'd love to get some wise counsel on this one! Thanks for bringing this up, Ester Maria!

Edited by missionarymom

This is something I was kind of wondering about. Are people be willing to buy these resources? I haven't found anything quite like this for free (and it takes a bit of time to reproduce colorful and clean looking resources like this yourself - trust me! that's what I've been doing for my little one). But if people aren't going to be interested in buying the posters, flashcards, etc. I can make them into FREE downloadable "do-it-yourself" products, that will take a "little" work on the parents part. For instance, for the poster, I could give a free download of a 3-page color document of the Greek letters that parents could print on sticker paper, then paste to a white poster board (which is what I initially did). It looks much cleaner than handwriting it out yourself.

What do you think?

I wouldn't like to speculate as I'm not exactly a specimen of your target audience. :) But hypothetically, if I were to consider your offer from the website, I would not buy audio/video, more likely than not I would not be inclined to buy flashcards, but I might be interested in a poster because it's very neat and not like something I would have the nerves the reproduce myself and I might be interested in, assuming you had decent previews, the reading books. Don't neglect the importance of previews and/or sample pages in any case, as people generally appreciate when they know what exactly they're buying.

The option of allowing free downloads AND offering a ready-made product for sale is probably the one that "looks best" to a potential customer and leaves a good impression. That way you could volunteer something, but count with some profit at the same time - and it's very, very different coming across such a site than coming across a site where navigating the site is the only free activity. :D Keep in mind, though, that maybe I personally overthink these issues - "can't help it, I'm Jewish" :D, I think about whom I financially support, even if it's only a dollar, when I buy their products and/or recommend them to other people - and that some other people might not be instantly turned off by something as simple as the request to pay a dollar to hear the recitation of the alphabet. Combining freebies with stuff for sale looks A LOT better in customer's eyes, unless you're an established company which doesn't need "advertising" of that kind. Which with time you might become, but meanwhile, freebies, previews and samples are your key to start the whole thing. :)

On the other hand, I wouldn't be willing to give the Greek reading books I'll be illustrating and publishing for free because of the time and labor put into that. But going back to what you said, is that something that parents will be interested in? No matter what, I'll be using them for my little ones to get them on their way reading the NT with fluency. I'll most likely be posting them on the website through a print-on-demand publisher so that I'm not losing any money out of pocket (with printed books sitting in my house waiting to be bought).

Yep, this is a great idea, that way you don't invest money that might not pay off, but allow the option of buying. I actually think that the books - and the poster - are what the parents might be the most attracted to, since those are exactly the resources that are missing on the market and that are hard to reproduce yourself.

You might be interested in seeing the materials that constitute the first year Tal-Am program for Hebrew in Jewish day schools, i.e. what the primary materials are supplemented by (granted, children are older so it's a bit different, but check those supplements). They have some accompanying games, posters and stuff like that and if you're interested in broadening your offer, you might check out if some of that kind of materials are applicable, since I think there might be a demand for that kind of supplements.

The books will be geared for kids, but won't be light and fluffy in that they aren't "going anywhere", simply teaching Greek vocab. All of the words taught are straight out of the New Testament, and by the end of the first series (Books A through E), the child will have learned nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs (present active indicative), to-be verbs, conjunctions and prepositions and will be able to read short sentences (along with a few select sentences from Scripture).

So, again, is this something parents will be interested in buying?

The books are, along with the poster, definitely your best bet. What kind of books would those be, of what length? Make absolutely sure you include previews or sample pages, since pretty much everyone will want to check any non-original-source Greek before buying. Which age range would they cover?

I'll be glad to hear more about this project. :)

I wouldn't like to speculate as I'm not exactly a specimen of your target audience. :) But hypothetically, if I were to consider your offer from the website, I would not buy audio/video, more likely than not I would not be inclined to buy flashcards, but I might be interested in a poster because it's very neat and not like something I would have the nerves the reproduce myself and I might be interested in, assuming you had decent previews, the reading books. Don't neglect the importance of previews and/or sample pages in any case, as people generally appreciate when they know what exactly they're buying.

The option of allowing free downloads AND offering a ready-made product for sale is probably the one that "looks best" to a potential customer and leaves a good impression. That way you could volunteer something, but count with some profit at the same time - and it's very, very different coming across such a site than coming across a site where navigating the site is the only free activity. :D Keep in mind, though, that maybe I personally overthink these issues - "can't help it, I'm Jewish" :D, I think about whom I financially support, even if it's only a dollar, when I buy their products and/or recommend them to other people - and that some other people might not be instantly turned off by something as simple as the request to pay a dollar to hear the recitation of the alphabet. Combining freebies with stuff for sale looks A LOT better in customer's eyes, unless you're an established company which doesn't need "advertising" of that kind. Which with time you might become, but meanwhile, freebies, previews and samples are your key to start the whole thing. :)

Yep, this is a great idea, that way you don't invest money that might not pay off, but allow the option of buying. I actually think that the books - and the poster - are what the parents might be the most attracted to, since those are exactly the resources that are missing on the market and that are hard to reproduce yourself.

You might be interested in seeing the materials that constitute the first year Tal-Am program for Hebrew in Jewish day schools, i.e. what the primary materials are supplemented by (granted, children are older so it's a bit different, but check those supplements). They have some accompanying games, posters and stuff like that and if you're interested in broadening your offer, you might check out if some of that kind of materials are applicable, since I think there might be a demand for that kind of supplements.

The books are, along with the poster, definitely your best bet. What kind of books would those be, of what length? Make absolutely sure you include previews or sample pages, since pretty much everyone will want to check any non-original-source Greek before buying. Which age range would they cover?

:iagree: She has some very good points here. I also think that the combo of something free to download and having the books available to buy would be great. The content of the books sounds wonderful--I would be most interested in those. Need a tester?:)

Edited by Zoo Keeper

A lot of great points have been made already. I agree that I probably wouldn't pay money for audio/video (depending on what it is?). And there are a lot of basics free on the internet (even if they aren't targeted for toddlers). I am currently using flashcards that I printed off of the internet for free. And there are websites that give the sounds/pronunciation in audio format for free. HOWEVER, I would be interested in paying for extra tools like books/readers for kids or "cute" posters, etc. (that aren't like the basic black and whites you find elsewhere on the web). In a hurry, but those are some thoughts I have at the moment...

I were to consider your offer from the website, I would not buy audio/video, more likely than not I would not be inclined to buy flashcards, but I might be interested in a poster because it's very neat and not like something I would have the nerves the reproduce myself and I might be interested in, assuming you had decent previews, the reading books. Don't neglect the importance of previews and/or sample pages in any case, as people generally appreciate when they know what exactly they're buying.

Very, very, very helpful. Especially the book previews/sample pages idea. I've found myself deciding whether or not to buy particular books based on previews/sample pages.

The option of allowing free downloads AND offering a ready-made product for sale is probably the one that "looks best" to a potential customer and leaves a good impression.

Combining freebies with stuff for sale looks A LOT better in customer's eyes, unless you're an established company which doesn't need "advertising" of that kind. Which with time you might become, but meanwhile, freebies, previews and samples are your key to start the whole thing. :)

I actually think that the books - and the poster - are what the parents might be the most attracted to, since those are exactly the resources that are missing on the market and that are hard to reproduce yourself.

Thanks so much for this insight. This is what I was wanting to know and you answered directly with good suggestions and ideas.

Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

The books (with descriptions) are listed here: http://www.biblicalgreek4kids.com/products-page/

They are for any child that is able to read already, or is already learning phonetics and how to sound out words. I will be using them for my son in a way which corresponds to what he is learning now in English. He is just starting to sound out words in English (cat, hat, etc.). So, once he has mastered that, I'll teach him how to sound out Greek words (since he already knows the Greek letter sounds). Once he learns how to read English sentences, I'll teach him Greek sentences, etc.

Again, thanks so much for your suggestions. I already have some ideas on how to implement your suggestions!

Thanks again for all of your help. I've updated the site and have a lot of freebies available now.

Greek Alphabet Page: http://www.biblicalgreek4kids.com/learn_greek/learn-the-greek-alphabet/

Greek Phonics Page: http://www.biblicalgreek4kids.com/learn_greek/learn-the-greek-phonetics/

I'm already working on the first book of the series. Thanks so much for the encouragement to go in this direction with the site. Let me know what you think.

Edited by missionarymom

Thank you so much for working on this project I know how hard it is to balance our many roles and duties as women.

I have downloaded the sheets and they look really good. I have a few questions regarding the readers you are developing.

I started years ago with "Latin for Children" and left as the pace was to quick for my 4/5th graders at the time and they had not as yet developed their Readers. Now they have but the readers are not coordinated as closely to the text as I would like. This made it really frustrating for the kids and myself as we struggled to look up words and forms that had not been covered in the text but were in the readers. The kids were so happy after 15 chapters to have something they could read and it really was a huge let down to them to feel that they really didn't know much as they struggled with the first story in the reader.

You are recommending a number of resources as texts. Are you in anyway aligning your readers to match any of these? I dont think Greek for Children has readers yet. Do you propose doing something to coordinate with it or Song School Greek? I am just starting with Song School Greek for my 9yr olds and Elementary Greek 1 for myself (OK in theory). We are also doing Latina Christiana 1 and Lively Latin 1 after a year of Song School Latin and a Bit of Latin's Not So Tough book2.

I also agree that the freebies help people to experience your unique product and get a feel for the quality of the product you are putting out. What you have chosen to give away to the public are great choices. Thanks for listing the block we are ordering those!

Will you ship to New Zealand? Would you print the magnets and ship those? We cant get that magnet paper here:confused:

Alicia in New Zealand

Thanks again for all of your help. I've updated the site and have a lot of freebies available now.

[/url]

I'm already working on the first book of the series. Thanks so much for the encouragement to go in this direction with the site. Let me know what you think.

Edited by Alicia
spelling!

I have a few questions regarding the readers you are developing.

I started years ago with "Latin for Children" and left as the pace was to quick for my 4/5th graders at the time and they had not as yet developed their Readers. Now they have but the readers are not coordinated as closely to the text as I would like. This made it really frustrating for the kids and myself as we struggled to look up words and forms that had not been covered in the text but were in the readers. The kids were so happy after 15 chapters to have something they could read and it really was a huge let down to them to feel that they really didn't know much as they struggled with the first story in the reader.

You are recommending a number of resources as texts. Are you in anyway aligning your readers to match any of these? I dont think Greek for Children has readers yet. Do you propose doing something to coordinate with it or Song School Greek? I am just starting with Song School Greek for my 9yr olds and Elementary Greek 1 for myself (OK in theory). We are also doing Latina Christiana 1 and Lively Latin 1 after a year of Song School Latin and a Bit of Latin's Not So Tough book2.

I also agree that the freebies help people to experience your unique product and get a feel for the quality of the product you are putting out. What you have chosen to give away to the public are great choices. Thanks for listing the block we are ordering those!

Will you ship to New Zealand? Would you print the magnets and ship those? We cant get that magnet paper here:confused:

Alicia in New Zealand

Very good question! I'm not really fashioning these readers to correspond with any already-published Greek curriculum - although that is a good idea! I know what you mean about trying to work through a reader that has a tons of vocab and forms that you haven't learned yet.

With the readers I'm developing, I'm taking small steps so that when your child gets to the point where he is reading "real" sentences (Book E), he has already covered the vocab and verb forms in the previous books and consequently will have all of the knowledge to read what is put before him - no need to look anything up...no new information that he hasn't already learned.

The readers are in this order:

1. Alphabet, Sounds & Short Words

2. Verbs (only the present active indicative at this point to keep it simple. When he gets to the last book, "Reading Sentences", only present active indicative verbs will be used)

3. Nouns, Adjectives & To-Be Verbs (only nominative forms at this point - again to keep it simple)

4. Prepositions & Conjunctions

5. Reading Sentences

So by the time he gets to "Reading Sentences", he'll have covered all of the above. Although, in each "reader", he'll be "reading" what is put before him, and I'll be combining English with Greek words to form sentences that he can read in order to learn forms. I'll try to post sample pages on the website within the next few weeks or so, so that you can see examples of what I'm talking about.

As far as the magnets go, yes, I can send them to New Zealand! PM me your address.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Need your opinion. The illustrations are almost finished (black and white), and I'd like to know if you all think I should have color illustrations in the books or black and white. It costs more to print in color, so the final product (in color) would cost about $5-6 more than a black and white copy would. Is it worth it to print in color and have a more expensive book?

Any thoughts?

I like the looks of the site-my 5 yr old is fascinated with languages in general and is avidly awaiting starting SSG, but when I click on the .pdfs in the phonics section, the letters change to English. Do I need to install a font or something?

Hmmmm...that's strange. I'm not sure what's going on there. Anyone else having this problem?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to let you all know that book one is FINALLY finished! It's thrilling to see it in print and hold a hard copy in my hands! The printing company did an incredible job. I have three versions (to give various price options to customers): color, B&W and PDF.

Check it out! - BiblicalGreek4Kids.com

Again, thanks for all your input! I'm hoping to use many of you to test out Book 1 here in the next couple of months, also.

Also, those of you who were fans on my Facebook page, I had to delete it since I was deleting my personal account and it was linked to that. If you'd like to stay updated, go to my new Facebook page to become a fan there. Thanks!

Just wanted to let you all know that book one is FINALLY finished! It's thrilling to see it in print and hold a hard copy in my hands! The printing company did an incredible job. I have three versions (to give various price options to customers): color, B&W and PDF.

Again, thanks for all your input! I'm hoping to use many of you to test out Book 1 here in the next couple of months, also.

Wow! The book looks great! If you're still looking for testers and/or reviewers I'd be interested!

Oops. I meant I need beta testers for Book 2 - we've already completed our testing for Book 1 (and had wonderful testers!).

I'd be interested in beta testing for you! I'm just starting Greek with my dd and your books look like a wonderful resource.

For those interested, I'm giving away 1 free hard copy (color version - $17.98 value) and three PDF versions ($10.98) value.

You'll have an advantage this go-round, since so few people know about the products yet (in other words, you have less competition! :)). Hope you win!

http://www.biblicalgreek4kids.com/giveaway-book1/

Oh, we're also offering a free shipping code for a week (ending Nov. 10).

• 1 year later...

Also, those of you who were fans on my Facebook page, I had to delete it since I was deleting my personal account and it was linked to that. If you'd like to stay updated, go to my new Facebook page to become a fan there. Thanks!

This link doesn't work for me. Is this the correct website?

Thanks