Menu

Anyone experienced with pot stickers?

Ours has a new "quick" method of just doing the one pot thing. BUT, I really think they are best boiled, then pan fried with plenty of oil.

Yum!! I set mine on rice and then use the dipping sauce... and also pour a bit of the dipping sauce over the rice.

:)

Course I know a lady who makes her own... but I haven't tried that yet!

There are several different instructions on the bag, but I was unsure which was gave the best results. Microwave seemed the least desirable to me. I think I will boil and then pan fry, because I would like them browned, I think.

It didn't come with sauce, so I'll have to figure something out for that.

Ours has a new "quick" method of just doing the one pot thing. BUT, I really think they are best boiled, then pan fried with plenty of oil.

Yum!! I set mine on rice and then use the dipping sauce... and also pour a bit of the dipping sauce over the rice.

Course I know a lady who makes her own... but I haven't tried that yet!

For a "dipping sauce," you can just use soy sauce in a pinch. Gyoza sauce (available in the Asian section of many grocery stores) is yummy too.

No advice here. I just came to the boards and the first thing see is, Anyone experienced with pot. :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

I almost choked on my juice. Thankfully, I clicked on the general forum and saw stickers. I am wide awake now.

Danielle

There are several different instructions on the bag, but I was unsure which was gave the best results. Microwave seemed the least desirable to me. I think I will boil and then pan fry, because I would like them browned, I think.

It didn't come with sauce, so I'll have to figure something out for that.

For sauce, we like soy with a little rice vinegar and chives.

For cooking, we put a little oil in the frying pan, and cook the bottoms until brown. Add 1/2 c water, cover and then cook until the liquid is gone (essentially steaming them).

Delicious! However....remove them carefully because some times they rip with that method.

No advice here. I just came to the boards and the first thing see is, Anyone experienced with pot. :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

I almost choked on my juice. Thankfully, I clicked on the general forum and saw stickers. I am wide awake now.

Danielle

Oh, dear. I see what you mean.

Our favorite method is to heat a little olive oil in a pan, and add the frozen pot stickers. I brown them for a few minutes, then add a little water (just enough to cover the bottom of the pan). Put a cover on and let them steam for about 3-5 minutes.

For sauce, we use soy with a splash of sesame oil and some scallion.

Use a heavy iron frying pan. Put about a quarter inch of veggie oil on the bottom and heat till quite hot, almost smoking. Put the pot stickers on it, on their sides. That side will brown in a few minutes. When that happens, pour 1 cup of water into the pan (it will sizzle a lot), and gently dig up the pot stickers with a spatua so that they stop sticking. Turn down the heat, cover, and cook for 20 minutes--this finishes cooking the filling. Voila!

My favourite pot sticker recipe (and healthier than fried):

Pot Sticker Soup

1 bunch scallions, divided (optional)

5 cups chicken broth (reduced sodium OK)

2/3 cup water

2 inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced

1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed

1 (15 oz.) package pork or chicken pot stickers

2 cups thinly sliced Chinese cabbage, kale or other green

1 tsp. toasted sesame oil (nice, but optional)

Put garlic, ginger, and 3 coarsely chopped scallions in pot. Simmer in water and broth for 5-20 minutes, depending on how much time you have. Strain/scoop out broth. Add frozen potstickers, and simmer for about 7 minutes. Add greens and simmer 2 additional minutes. Remove from heat, stir in sesame oil. Chop and place remaining scallions on table for garnish.

Note: Spinach is also good, but instead of adding to the pot, pour soup over spinach in the serving bowls. Rip off long stems.

I put my in a non-stick skillet, depending on how many potstickers you're going to cook, say 8, I would put 3/4 cup water and a 1 1/2 tablespoon of canola oil. Cover your skillet and cook on medium to high heat for 8 minutes, uncover the skillet and cook until water is evaporated (usually it is evaporated after 8 mins), cook for another 5 minutes and the potstickers are crispy on the bottom and soft on top. YUM!

:lol::lol::lol:

TOO funny!

But seriously, I make these often enough. I prefer them microwaved, and then fried in a small bit of oil until lightly browned. I'm sure I got that idea from the packaging, I never would want to do that much work on my own.

What do I serve them with? As a side to Orange Chicken, along with rice, and a package of egg rolls. Not the healthiest of dinners ... but one of my kids' favorites.

Mmmmm, pot stickers :)

We love these, but rarely eat them.

I have a feeling they may not turn out quite authentically, because I use enamel covered cast iron. It doesn't cook quite the same as regular cast iron. Anyway, I'll do my best.

I have had really bad luck making them in any pan, UNTIL I got my Le Creuset enameled/cast iron frying pan! They turned out perfectly for the first time ever.

I do the easy version on the bag: place oil in pan, add water, cover and cook until water evaporates, then remove cover until they are browned and release ON THEIR OWN. This seems to be the key. They won't release until they are actually done. I've ruined a lot of them by trying to remove them early.

As far as serving suggestions, I just steam some rice as well as broccoli, and this would be the meal.

As I recall, we've already had that discussion here. :)

Mmmmm, pot stickers :)

We love these, but rarely eat them.

I have had really bad luck making them in any pan, UNTIL I got my Le Creuset enameled/cast iron frying pan! They turned out perfectly for the first time ever.

I do the easy version on the bag: place oil in pan, add water, cover and cook until water evaporates, then remove cover until they are browned and release ON THEIR OWN. This seems to be the key. They won't release until they are actually done. I've ruined a lot of them by trying to remove them early.

As far as serving suggestions, I just steam some rice as well as broccoli, and this would be the meal.

Great. I have LeCreuset too. I'll try this.

Next time, I'll try Moira's version.

Is there a discussion we haven't had here? I don't even want to begin to give examples to prove my point.

:lol: