Menu

My teacher's evaluator said my kindergartener lacks writing skills !

I had to even cover up the pictures in Bob books because once you figure out who Sam and Matt are, it's pretty easy to figure out the rest based o the pictures. LOL

I wish my DD were as advanced as your son! She can read level 2 BOB Books, but only very reluctantly. Her handwriting is abysmal and she has no idea what a plot or main character are. But you know what? Anyone who talks to my kid for 10 minutes can see that she's SMART and she knows a lot. And I'm proud of her and what she's accomplished this year. ;)

Yeah, I was recently involved in an exchange with a public school teacher who listed "taking clues from pictures" as a reading comprehension skill. :001_huh: Uh, perhaps I missed something, but looking at pictures isn't reading and reading isn't looking at pictures. I have no idea what she expects these kids, who require pictures to tell the story, to do once they progress to books without pictures. I guess after you see enough pictures with enough words, you get good at figuring out the words on their own merits? I don't know. I'm stumped.

I went to private school for the first few years and I was never taught to read based on the pictures or guess based on context. I was taught that sometimes you have to guess what a word means based on context, but never that you have to guess what a word is based on context. I remember when I switched to public school and kids who got to a word they didn't recognize would say "blank" rather than trying to sound it out. I never knew what this was about until I was reading a book on literacy a year or two ago, which explained that this was a strategy for kids who weren't taught phonics. It keeps them reading, without slowing them down with the details of...oh, what the text SAYS. The point of reading without knowing what you're reading is something I simply can't grasp, and I was shocked to find out, 20-something years later, that those classmates of mine had been taught to do that on purpose!

Wise advice. As usual. ;)

You know, I would try to set this aside for a few weeks. It's done -- great! -- now you can put it aside and focus on enjoying your summer. :)

But then, sometime in late June or early July, I would pull back out your notes from her evaluation and ask yourself, "Is there any truth to what she said?"

Maybe there isn't. Maybe she's crazy and she totally missed the mark. Perhaps her experience is just so far from your approach that it's apples and oranges...

*But* maybe there are also things you will want to consider tweaking. Is he doing a handwriting program in addition to WWE? I would not consider WWE adequate *on*its*own* for K/1. I think it's a fantastic program! But I would also expect him to be doing a handwriting sheet (and it's *much* more productive if you're standing over him correct his grip and making him start in the right spots etc than just handing him a handwriting sheet while you change the laundry, etc) and a few words and sentences here and there through the day in other subjects. If you're doing all that, fantastic! :)

Maybe some of her questions about reading comprehension could be helpful as well. Certainly it sounds like he's getting the gist of what he reads. But it can be helpful, even with little ones, to ask them questions that help them learn to identify to most important aspects of a text. You don't have to be using literary terms yet. But if you're going to say, "Who's the most important person in this story?", you might as well also say, "Yep! The mailman! We could also say he's the main character."

It sounds like your son is doing great. And try not to be *hurt* by what the evaluator said. Really, truly, set it aside for a few weeks. But later, consider whether there are any nuggets of wisdom hidden in there. ... You might decide there aren't! ;) And that's okay. ... But you might also think, "Oh, you know, I never thought of it like that... But maybe we could make a little tweak here or there..."

]:iagree: Maybe she was related to this kindergarten teacher, stuck in a system that has forgotten what kindergarten is supposed to be:

:iagree:I agree with that statement. Those are public school standards. We are in a cyberschool and these sound like the same standards that are expected of my 1st grader. So I guess they would be K/1st grade standards.

I think they are insane and ridiculous. Most children in K and 1st grade are still learning to read let alone comprehend what they read. If you have a child that comprehends well what they read that's a plus. But many are still trying to sound out words. Writing standards are nuts. Not that the teachers really get anywhere with these standards. I'm more interested in getting my daughter to form her letters nice and neatly let alone have her write a paragraph.

Kindergarden isn't the same as it used to be though. It used to be fun, and play along with learning. Now its all academic. Even preschools are turning this corner I'm seeing as well. Which is very sad. Children need to be children.

Anyways it sounds like she is NOT the right evaluator for you. I live in PA and not only standardized testing is required but also we have to do evaluations on top of that. The key is to find an evaluator who has similar teaching styles or is even a homeschool parent themself. Our evaluator last year was a homeschool mom who has her teaching degree that substitues for the ps in her area. I did interview a few before we went with her. So its important if you can to find an evaluator that supports homeschooling.

I would chalk this up as an experience as not to go back to. See if you can find a little bit of 'wisdom' in what she said. Then know that your son is WAY above the vast majority of children in kindergarden. Keep doing what your doing, and then find a different evaluator for next year.

Ah yes, the dreaded picture walk. My DD never did get the point, she said it ruined the story to look at all the pictures first.

Yes, my P.S. teacher mom does this or tries to do this with my kids. I stop her every time. She can't help it. That's what she has been taught to do. Funny, because before she was a teacher, she made sure she got us into the best school in our state which used phonics:001_huh: I think she has forgotten that or something...

I think the poster who talked about her using the whole language approach and it just not matching up is right on target. She just doesn't get it.

Wow! And I thought PA had restrictive laws...... We don't even have to have a child evaluated until they turn 8 years of age.

You are doing a fine job with a K'er. Don't let anyone make you doubt that for one second. I personally think that a ps K teacher had to find something negative to say. I agree with the posters who have said that she was probably intimidated by your ds.

Keep up the awesome job!!!

Wow, yeah, that's what I was thinking. PA is a pretty highly regulated state when it comes to homeschool laws. But at least here in PA the compulsory school age is 8. What a shame they feel the need to "evaluate" 6 year olds in Florida!

With that said- I'd find a new evaluator. The one I use here in PA is great, and most people I know are happy with their evaluators. They are encouraging and work with us, and that's what yours should do, too, not nitpick your Kindergartener to death. Especially one who is obviously as bright as yours!

Since your son enjoys reading books like Mr. Popper's Penguins and Charlotte's Web (roughly 4th grade reading level), the teacher is apparently evaluating his writing and book discussion skills on a 4th grade level, too. (On the principle that if he reads like a 4th grader, all his English skills should be 4th grade level.)

She apparently doesn't have enough experience with gifted/advanced children to know that they are often all over the place with their skills--a little ahead in some, way ahead in some, at grade/age level in some, and possibly even a little behind in a few.

Everything you describe for your son is either at level or above for a kindergartener, so I wouldn't worry about him at all.

We had our annual evaluation yesterday. My kindergartner reads at 7th grade level (according to readingkey.com and golmipitas ) , spells at 4th grade and has a good comprehension since he just finished Charlotte's web and Mr. Popper's Penguins .

She gave him a test in comprehension . My son was reading something about ants and was saying "Oh , really I didn't know they can do that" " wow how smart " ... and other remarks showing how well he was comprehending.

After that she asked him to re-tell the story and of course , he re-told like a kindergartner : short sentences , incomplete thoughts ...

The evaluator ( who is a ps Kindergarten teacher ) said I need to work with him on comprehension .

She said after reading a chapter I have to ask him who is the main character , the plot , etc...I thought you do these things with older kids . I do ask him about what he reads and he is able to tell me with details about the book , but I don't teach him literary terms yet .

Are K-ers expected to read chapter books nowdays? And do all this literature analysis ? Did she forget he is only 6 ?

Also she said he lacks writing skills and I need to do something for writing.I said we do classical and I told her about Writing with ease which we just started . She did saw his big binder with his history & science notebook. He wrote his narrations there with pics and everything . His spelling was great and I thought his creativity too . We did american history for the first three months then we started ancient history . I thought his notebook looked really impressive for a K-er ! But she did not seem to be impressed at all , instead she criticized his writing , comprehension and not enough geometry in his math book ! ( we have used Horizons + Singapore) .

I wonder what does she do in K with her kids and are they expected to be so advanced nowdays?

Have you had a similar experience with an evaluator?

Next year I won't do that , I will opt for SAT test instead !

Sorry to be so long . I guess am disappointed . I am looking for encouragement .:)

my ds was evaluated by a PS teacher, and she told me that he would be held back in first grade, and perhaps I shouldn't be homeschooling him. I FELT HORRIBLE. i went home and cried. My son just didn't "click" with reading until he was 6, and then he blew right into it. His little quirks just didn't fly with her. He was just one of "those" kids. Obviously your K-er is brilliant and you're doing a great job. Shoot, if I were you, I'd kick back and skip first grade (just kidding!) :lol:

i'd take care of my own assessments from now on...you know your child best.

I hope this isn't inflammatory, but I find in homeschooling, the biggest critics are teachers. They don't want us to forget for one second that THEY are the professionals. I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but I haven't personally met any.

I would NOT take that to heart. Talk to other homeschoolers.

Haven't read all the replies yet, but I have gotten a lot of encouragement and praise from friends and acquaintances who are public school teachers. I also know MANY homeschooling moms who are former public school teachers. NO doubt, I have definitely met many teachers adamantly opposed to homeschooling and very critical of it. But absolutely many on the other end too. Oh, and I also know several homeschooling families where the father is a... public school teacher. And obviously very supportive of his wife homeschooling.

To the OP, sorry you got so much criticism and not encouragement. Sounds like your son is doing great and that you have been very organized and will be doing well for him going forward!

It sounds like your ds is gifted, and honestly, pub school teachers (in general) know very little about giftedness. My ds is in a similar situation--reading at 6th grade level but doesn't know much grammar, punctuation, etc. While the school hasn't been critical, they don't know how to properly assess him. (Why would you give a "pre-literacy" assessment as the reading test to someone who has been reading encyclopedias for 2 years?!)

It honestly sounds like the teacher doesn't understand the concept of asynchronous development. This is usually a big issue for gifted kids. Because your son's writing level is not equivalent to his reading level, she sees it as a weakness. And since his writing level is not a strength at the moment (TOTALLY normal even for very advanced kids), using writing to evaluate other academic skills is completely inappropriate. The assessment she used is much more a reflection of his writing than his reading. Just my humble opinion.