Menu

Need help with gift ideas for 90-year-old

I am attending a birthday party for my aunt who is turning 90 years old. I need gift ideas! She lives by herself in her own home and is very active. She is very old fashioned and very frugal. She makes all her clothing herself. I'm not as close to her as I once was so I don't really know what she needs or likes. I was thinking of jewelry or perhaps taking her out to dinner.

She lives by herself in her own home and is very active. She is very old fashioned and very frugal. She makes all her clothing herself.

An easy to care for plant for her garden, planted for her? A vow of some yard work she can't do? A "splurge" silk scarf? Some sets of fancy buttons? A pretty house shawl? A nice fancy door mat? My frugal folks never sprang for one.

Dinner is always a good idea, I think. I tend to take my grandmother out for lunch for her birthday. She's not the type to go out for meals, and certainly wouldn't go experimenting. Last year I took her to a lavender farm for lavender scones and lavender lemonade. She's not terribly adventurous, but loves it when she is. She went on for months afterwards how nice they were and how much better they were than her old friend's. (That woman boasts about how great her scones are, and not only aren't they as good as my grandmother's or the lavender farm's, but she's really stingy about how many you can have, hehehe.)

Rosie