Menu

Singapore standardized test scores?

4 Gifts

I have used singapore us ed now with my son since kindergareten. We only have to turn in standardized tests for 1st and second grade. My son scored perfectly in the area of computation for both 1st and 2nd, but math concepts was one of the lowest areas on his test both years in a row (they weren't bad, but this surprised me especially since he grasps math quickly...I thought). I wanted to hear from other users whether they experienced similar results with singapore or whether I need to be teaching differently/better with the different concepts.

FYI: I tried adding in SM IP in the past, but did not do that this year. I am considering supplementing Singapore with R&S or perhaps I should consider Saxon. I do not want to base my decision because of test scores, but do believe it can reveal an area of weakness.

Any thoughts?

Hmmmm...this is a question I've mulled over many times too. Two of my kids use Singapore and one uses Horizons and it's pretty clear that the three of them are all getting a different math education. I've considered supplementing with CLE Math for all three of them, just to show them another way of doing things. :confused:

I think this is the reason why a lot of people use two math programs. I think Singapore and MathUSee would go well together, but wouldn't MUS be more computational than conceptual also? And your son is already scoring high in computations.

Honestly, I would've thought the scores would be the other way around.

Maybe someone else who has tested after using Singapore has advice.

My son took the Stanford Test this year for 3rd grade. He scored in the 90th percentile for all of the math categories. There was not any real difference between the various subcategories. We have used only Singapore and are on level 4A now, and used the CWP this year as well.

Last year my son took the 2nd grade level ITBS and had just finished 2B. He had only used Singapore. These were his percentiles:

Math concepts 96

Math problems 97

Math computation 98

Math total 98

Did you give the test to him? Were you able to see where he was making mistakes? Also, is he working on level in Singapore, meaning did he finish 2B prior to taking the test?

I did notice that there were a few questions on the ITBS that were about things that Singapore hadn't covered yet. I specifically remember that estimating was one of them. Switching to the Standards edition has helped with that.

We used Singapore US for level 1. Ds took CAT in first grade. Scored in 99th percentile for both concepts and computation.

We used Singapore Standards edition for level 2. Did the CAT again, but 3rd grade test (trying out of level). He got 93 percentile for computation and 99 for concepts. (He got just about every division and subtraction problem wrong. I think he was trying to be quick).

We do use CWP, IP, and the iExcel, and occasionally Miquon.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

If you are using the US edition instead of the Standards edition maybe it's that the concepts don't line up with the standardized test? I don't use Singapore but use MUS and I know that can happen with it in the lower grades because it doesn't follow the same scope and sequence as standardized tests are testing on. With MUS this eventually evens out because by the end of the elementary program the same things have been covered, just in a different order.

Can someone please tell me the difference in Singapore US vs. Singapore Standard? Is one more challenging than the other?

I am trying to figure out what to do with my upcoming 1st grader (did Abeka K5 math) and Singapore is all new to me but I am noticing that several of you guys are using it.

Thanks so much!

Sarah

DH of almost 11 years

DD 6yo

DS 4yo

DD 2yo

DD 7mo

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Can someone please tell me the difference in Singapore US vs. Singapore Standard? Is one more challenging than the other?

I am trying to figure out what to do with my upcoming 1st grader (did Abeka K5 math) and Singapore is all new to me but I am noticing that several of you guys are using it.

Thanks so much!

Sarah

DH of almost 11 years

DD 6yo

DS 4yo

DD 2yo

DD 7mo

All I know is that Standards was written to follow the CA math standards. I don't know if there is a difference in content or if it's just the way it's organized. There is a comparision on Singapore's website.

We've used Singapore US since the beginning and my daughter's test scores (on the Iowa) have been very pleasing: in the high 90s. My husband has her last score sheet at work so I can't tell you exactly what they were. We were very pleased, though. I'm expecting this year's scores any day. If it's any indication, she said the math portion was very easy.

Did your child leave a lot of questions unanswered or were they answered but incorrect? I'd be more concerned about the latter situation.

My DD took the ITBS a few months into 3A and got just about every question she answered correct. What hurt her score was that she did not finish the section in the allotted time. After looking at the ones she did not answer, I believe that she could have solved all but a couple had she had the time.

I have used singapore us ed now with my son since kindergareten. We only have to turn in standardized tests for 1st and second grade. My son scored perfectly in the area of computation for both 1st and 2nd, but math concepts was one of the lowest areas on his test both years in a row (they weren't bad, but this surprised me especially since he grasps math quickly...I thought). I wanted to hear from other users whether they experienced similar results with singapore or whether I need to be teaching differently/better with the different concepts.

FYI: I tried adding in SM IP in the past, but did not do that this year. I am considering supplementing Singapore with R&S or perhaps I should consider Saxon. I do not want to base my decision because of test scores, but do believe it can reveal an area of weakness.

Any thoughts?

I just saw this post.

I will share what I did with my second grade son this past year.

He used Saxon 3 combined with Singapore Level 2 Standards Edition (with IP2 US edition).

We did Saxon 3 days per week, and Singapore 2 days per week. He gets math concepts quickly so he would usually do multiple lessons of Singapore 2 per day. We only did Singapore on Thursdays and Fridays. Once he finished with the regular workbooks, we move into the IPs again from the beginning so 2A then 2B.

Saxon 3 does do an overall decent job in teaching concepts. It excels however at cementing the math facts...which is what I mainly use it for. It also has plenty of review. It is incremental in approach. It can occasionally take way too long, so I cut out much of the meeting book once I feel the material in it has been mastered. I check occasionally to be sure.

This amount of math may be too much for some, and I understand that. For this child it worked well.

I used a similar approach with my eldest when she was in early elementary.

They have both received perfect scores on every standardized test (in all areas) they have ever taken. Because of this I am not too quick to switch programs. I do like to supplement things from other curricula in, and I love hearing how others do math and what has worked for them.

I'm not saying it's the Holy Grail, nor is it the only way by any stretch, but it works very well here.

Some kids don't get the way that things are worded or presented on tests.

Sometimes they don't align well to where your kid is, or what that have done.

Sometimes kids just make mistakes, have trouble accessing the info in their brains, don't have enough sleep or who knows... a bird flew past the window. :D

Don't worry about it. If it is extremely low, like in the 20th and below %ile, maybe there is an issue, but if you know they understand it when you are doing it, it is not a problem... just something to look at and pay attention to.

Singapore is not the issue. Actually, I don't know if there really is an issue.

However, if you have a gut instinct that the program isn't working, then find something that works better for your child. If you thought it was working until you saw the test.... then, FORGET THE TEST. It is not a big deal, really. :D

We have to test also. My son didn't do as well as he should have on the math test in 1st and 2nd grade. I knew he knew the answers, but didn't get them all right. He did much better this year. The difference? The 1st and 2nd grade tests he did had me reading the problems, the 3rd grade test - he read them himself. He is very much a visual learner and has problems keeping track with the auditory. So, if you have one of those kind of kiddos, the test may be showing you more that your child does not do as well with auditory instructions. It may have absolutely nothing to do with the math. Just a thought.

Beth

Did your child leave a lot of questions unanswered or were they answered but incorrect? I'd be more concerned about the latter situation.

My DD took the ITBS a few months into 3A and got just about every question she answered correct. What hurt her score was that she did not finish the section in the allotted time. After looking at the ones she did not answer, I believe that she could have solved all but a couple had she had the time.

My girl has Singapore Math online and her teacher requires her tests to be timed. I do think that helps with more formal testing environs.

Thanks for the great responses!! It is very helpful to hear your results too! My son has been tested through our county schools using the ITBS so I did not get to see what he has been missing. He scored 99 for computation for both 1st and 2nd grade but 80% for concepts both years. As I said, we have only used singapore us ed, but we were almost finished with 3B when he took the test this year. So, since others have not really had this problem (which I know 80% isn't bad, but compared to his computation score it just shows me that something is not clicking or I do need more practice cementing those concepts in!) Would the IP be enough or adding in more from a program that does drill and do more practice help?

Standards covers additional topics. We switched to standards for 3rd grade. My kids took the CAT this year, and being that Singapore is standardized for California, it makes sense the standards edition would line up with the CAT. Both kids got perfect math scores. If anything, Singapores strength is concepts, not computation so I have 2 questions...1) are you using the teacher's manual (though I didn't until 3rd grade, maybe you are not explaining things the 'singapore way'? and 2) is your kid just better at computation than concepts...because then another curriculum may only increase the disparity in scores.

Brownie

Thanks for the great responses!! It is very helpful to hear your results too! My son has been tested through our county schools using the ITBS so I did not get to see what he has been missing. He scored 99 for computation for both 1st and 2nd grade but 80% for concepts both years. As I said, we have only used singapore us ed, but we were almost finished with 3B when he took the test this year. So, since others have not really had this problem (which I know 80% isn't bad, but compared to his computation score it just shows me that something is not clicking or I do need more practice cementing those concepts in!) Would the IP be enough or adding in more from a program that does drill and do more practice help?

Since my son now knows all his math facts very well, we are only using Singapore Standards Edition this next year. Saxon was a great help in learning those facts, but now he will get his review and reinforcement from the supplements in Singapore (both US and Standards) and from some possible supplementing of Russian Math 3 (and maybe MEP3).

If you son has his math facts down (and since he scored a 99 percentile for computation), then he may not need more drill. He may just need to add in the IPs or CWP (or even Extra Practice) for more review if you stick with the Singapore Program.

Good luck. :)

Great questions Brownie!

I honestly have not been using the HIG. I started out using them in 1A and 1B, but then stopped as we had our fourth child and I could basically hand the textbook to my son, he would read through it and then do fine answering questions in the workbook. When he gets things wrong he is quickly able to correct it. It "seemed" to me that he understood the concepts. Basically, I am ashamed to say, he has taught himself using the textbooks unless he had questions or I noticed him struggling.:blush: Hmmm.... now you have me thinking. Do I actually have to "teach" him?:lol: I would say that he figures things out quickly and not always the singapore way, I haven't pushed that though. I need to think through this more. Any further thoughts or questions?

4 Gifts, I go through the Textbook part with my daughter and then she does the workbook exercises on her own. I check her answers and help her if she's having a problem. We've also worked through the IP book - that helps too.

Theeee only drawback to Singapore is math facts, IMO. I have to drill these separately with my daughter. She would not have them memorized if she just worked through the workbook itself.

All of your kids test scores were awesome! Good job! :001_smile:

We have to test also. My son didn't do as well as he should have on the math test in 1st and 2nd grade. I knew he knew the answers, but didn't get them all right. He did much better this year. The difference? The 1st and 2nd grade tests he did had me reading the problems, the 3rd grade test - he read them himself. He is very much a visual learner and has problems keeping track with the auditory. So, if you have one of those kind of kiddos, the test may be showing you more that your child does not do as well with auditory instructions. It may have absolutely nothing to do with the math. Just a thought.

Beth

This was a MAJOR element for my 2nd grader this year. (He scored 15th percentile on Listening because of ADHD issues.) Since a large portion of the math test was based on listening, his math score was lower than it would have been. The math computation section had the problems written on the test form, so he did better there.

I honestly have not been using the HIG. I started out using them in 1A and 1B, but then stopped as we had our fourth child and I could basically hand the textbook to my son, he would read through it and then do fine answering questions in the workbook. When he gets things wrong he is quickly able to correct it. It "seemed" to me that he understood the concepts. Basically, I am ashamed to say, he has taught himself using the textbooks unless he had questions or I noticed him struggling.:blush: Hmmm.... now you have me thinking. Do I actually have to "teach" him?:lol: I would say that he figures things out quickly and not always the singapore way, I haven't pushed that though. I need to think through this more. Any further thoughts or questions?

Have you looked at Math Mammoth? It is based on the Asian way of teaching math like Singapore but designed to be self-teaching. It also does a great job at walking the child through the concepts step-by-step-by-step.

I'm using some of the single-topic "blue" MM workbooks prior to certain units in Singapore where I feel my DD would benefit from it. Most of the time she's fine with making the leaps Singapore expects her to be able to do, but sometimes she can't. And that's where Maria Miller's great explanations in MM really help.

A lot of the conceptual explanations are in the HIG, so if you're not teaching it, then he may be missing a lot of the benefit of Singapore. If you don't have time to teach it, I would recommend Math Mammoth. MM also teaches math the "Asian way," but the conceptual explanations are written directly to the student in the worktext, instead of being written to the teacher in a separate manual.

Jackie