Menu

Easy Spanish program for k and 1st?

Tabrett

I'm looking for a very easy Spanish program that doesn't involve any reading or writing for k and 1st grade. Maybe something on DVD? Something that teaches basic things like counting, colors, clothes, ect... I have no back ground in Spanish. Maybe I'm looking for Spanish "exposure"?:D Not too expensive.

My DD enjoyed Ana Lomba's Hop, Jump, and Sing Spanish-it's a CD of Spanish language games, finger plays and songs, with the instructions in English on the track before. There's also a Play and Learn Spanish by the same Author which includes a book that gives pictures to go with stories told in Spanish.

We also did the Twin Sisters Spanish vocabulary CD and the Dr. Jean Ole, Ole, Ole CD which has learning songs for preschoolers/kindergartners in English and in Spanish.

We're going to something more formal for 1st grade-probably Elementary Spanish on Discovery Education, if I can ever figure out how to get a video feed from my computer to my TV.

We're going to something more formal for 1st grade-probably Elementary Spanish on Discovery Education, if I can ever figure out how to get a video feed from my computer to my TV.

We just got Discovery Education streaming, in part so we could do Elementary Spanish. It sounds like just what the OP is looking for: gentle exposure to the basics of Spanish, and designed for kids who don't have access to a Spanish-speaking teacher.

You can download a teacher's manual with suggestions about how to teach a language you don't speak, coloring pages, etc.

GPB's Salsa. Free here, but I can't figure out how to make the video larger!

http://dl.gpb.org/vsx/GPBPro/diglib_search/search

Yay, Salsa is back! But don't be surprised if it disappears again. :glare:

Here's a link to supplementary material for each episode: Salsa Materials

Here's how I make the video larger, using Firefox and Real Player. It would probably work fine with other browsers and video players, but I haven't tested it.

1) Find the episode I want.

2) In its description, I find and copy the entire url, which starts with mms://mediam1.gpb.org...

3) I paste the url into my browser's address bar and hit enter to load it.

4) Foxfire pops up a window telling me that I need to launch an application, and I choose Real Player. (This can be downloaded free if you don't already have it.)

5) We watch in Real Player, and either watch it at the default size, or we switch to fullscreen.

I hope that helps!

Here's how I make the video larger, using Firefox and Real Player. It would probably work fine with other browsers and video players, but I haven't tested it.

2) In its description, I find and copy the entire url, which starts with mms://mediam1.gpb.org...

4) Foxfire pops up a window telling me that I need to launch an application, and I choose Real Player. (This can be downloaded free if you don't already have it.)

5) We watch in Real Player, and either watch it at the default size, or we switch to fullscreen.

I hope that helps!

Wow! You rock! :lol: Thank you!

I hope that helps!

THANK YOU!!! My girls will go nuts over this!! And free??? Hallelujah!! After a month of purchasing tons of curric, this is a welcomed treat!

This will be a nice addition to our other Spanish materials.

Edited by Beth in SW WA
typo

There's also Sonrisas Spanish School, which is waldorf style using songs, stories and crafts...no workbook, reading or writing involved. I haven't used it because it's expensive, but I always think about getting it someday as it is highly recommended in waldorf communities.

Another one to check out is Risas Y Sonrisas, the songbook has pictures for pre-readers, and also uses sign language.

More about Salsa:

To search for a specific episode, use the search term "SALG_episode number" in their search engine. The episodes numbers are 101-130 and 201-212. If you don't get any results with the SALG_# approach, you can use the broader search term Salsa, and then scroll through the results to find what you're looking for.

If more than one search result pops up, I'd suggest choosing a longer episode (24 minutes) whenever possible, rather than a 15 minute one. The 15 minute versions leave out some material. Also, the shorter ones have sign language interpreters, which my kids find to be distracting.

More about Salsa:

To search for a specific episode, use the search term "SALG_episode number" in their search engine. The episodes numbers are 101-130 and 201-212. If you don't get any results with the SALG_# approach, you can use the broader search term Salsa, and then scroll through the results to find what you're looking for.

If more than one search result pops up, I'd suggest choosing a longer episode (24 minutes) whenever possible, rather than a 15 minute one. The 15 minute versions leave out some material. Also, the shorter ones have sign language interpreters, which my kids find to be distracting.

Thank you!!

• 1 month later...
There's also Sonrisas Spanish School, which is waldorf style using songs, stories and crafts...no workbook, reading or writing involved. I haven't used it because it's expensive, but I always think about getting it someday as it is highly recommended in waldorf communities.

Another one to check out is Risas Y Sonrisas, the songbook has pictures for pre-readers, and also uses sign language.

The Sonrisas Spanish School looks AWESOME! But......it seems like it would be much more effective in a group. And, the fact that I don't really spek Spanish seems like it would be a definite problem. Bummer. Think it would be awesome for a co-op though.