Menu

Would you be "leary"...buying used curriculum ?

Guest ToGMom

Guest ToGMom

HI,

I am on several used curriculum groups...I've bought and sold a lot of curriculum and have only been "burned" once or twice.

Here's my question: Would you be "leary" of buying from someone who listed materials one day (16th) and then relisted the SAME materials the next day (17th) and INCREASED THE PRICE BY $20??

It just seemed "odd" to me...:001_huh: The seller is all offended because I asked a few questions and pointed out the discrepancy.

~Amy

Guest ToGMom
Is it a dealer? I wouldn't necessarily be leery. If they are both used items, the condition could vary widely.

I don't think so...it was various levels of the same curriculum...all unused. The first listing was $20 less/set than the second listing. :001_huh::001_huh:

I don't think so...it was various levels of the same curriculum...all unused. The first listing was $20 less/set than the second listing. :001_huh::001_huh:

Was it the same level or a different level? If it was a different level, then it probably sells at a different price. I would definitely not be leery about that.

If a seller is selling various levels of *unused* curricula (especially if they are selling multiple copies), then I would think they are, indeed, a dealer.

Guest ToGMom

Hmmmm...*MAYBE* this woman was a dealer...IDK.

Either way, it was single copies (TM, student book and DVD) of each level from K - high school. Each set was the newest edition available...

Just seems weird to list something for $55 one day and then "jack the price" to $75 the next day.

Just seems weird to list something for $55 one day and then "jack the price" to $75 the next day.

Doesn't seem strange to me. In fact, I see it as a fine example of free market economics in action, especially if she sold the first set the same day she listed it. She noted the high demand might bring a higher price.

If you were selling a house, a car, any other item of merchandise, the same rules of supply and demand would likely apply.

JMO.

Edited by AuntieM

I wouldn't phase me. I write, in the back cover of a book, in light pencil what I paid for every hs book I own. Then when I sell I have an idea what I paid for it. Sometimes, if I buy used and sell used, that means the person gets a good deal too. If I bought it new, and had to pay a lot of shipping, I may want more to recoup what I spent.

Guest ToGMom

While I agree with MOST of what has been said, I disagree with changing a price once it's been posted. (UNLESS the price is decreased to move something out the door faster...*THAT* I understand.)

BUT, IMO, if I list something for $55 and realize later that I should have asked more, that's MY problem and I should honor the first posting.

But until there's a " handshake" it's the seller's curriculum to do with what they want.

Once I agree to buy or sell something to an individual for a set price, then that's a done deal, but until then, it's mine and I can

change the price. or remove it from offer.

If I see something at a good price, I grab it. It could get sold to someone else, or price can change.

I agree it's a bit disconcerting,,,, maybe... impolite... sort of mildly rude, ( like a burp in the elevator) but not dishonorable to checng the price on my materials.

( I don't think this is me your talkign about , I just went down on a price, can't imagine anyone complaining about THAT :-)

~c.

Guest ToGMom

( I don't think this is me your talking about , I just went down on a price, can't imagine anyone complaining about THAT :-)

~c.

LOL -- No, Christine, this isn't you...it isn't even anyone on this board...it's on another board which shall remain nameless.

While I agree with MOST of what has been said, I disagree with changing a price once it's been posted. (UNLESS the price is decreased to move something out the door faster...*THAT* I understand.)

BUT, IMO, if I list something for $55 and realize later that I should have asked more, that's MY problem and I should honor the first posting.

Sorry, but I totally disagree. As long as there hasn't been a deal made, the seller is completely within their rights to change the price, either up or down.

My bottom line here: if I'm uncomfortable in any way, I don't buy the item. Unless you're desperate for that item and you cannot find it anywhere else, you should purchase from another person. It sounds like you are uncomfortable with her.

As for the price thing, it depends on the product's value. I'd look at what other people have asked for/gotten on the very same product. If the $20 increase is not justified, I'd go somewhere else. I don't care to spend more than what I think is fair for an item.

Guest Bibliophiles3

In the past I've passed on ads that seem suspicious. But on the other hand, I think the seller may have just realized her mistake. She may have gotten the items at a used book sale like libraries put on and recognized that the new materials were valuable, but didn't know how valuable until she sold a few. I hope you can find what you want elsewhere.