Menu

Do I want a yogurt maker?

All of my children really like yogurt. I like yogurt. I buy like 20 little containers and they're all gone the next day. I have a dd I could put in charge of making the yogurt. I have birthday money burning a hole in my pocket.

Do I want a yogurt maker?

You don't need a gadget to make your own yogurt. You can use a slow cooker. Which gadget are you looking at? Do you use the gadgets you already own? Making your own certainly does save money and tastes good but there is no point cluttering up your kitchen with another gadget if you wont use it long term IYKWIM :)

You don't need a gadget to make your own yogurt. You can use a slow cooker. Which gadget are you looking at? Do you use the gadgets you already own? Making your own certainly does save money and tastes good but there is no point cluttering up your kitchen with another gadget if you wont use it long term IYKWIM :)

:iagree:

We make yogurt using a kitchen pot, candy thermometer, heating pad, cooler, and mason jars that we already own. I don't know where I'd put another appliance... unless it was an ice cream maker. ;)

We have one and love it! It hardly takes any time at all to make, just a little scheduling. With the number of children you have, you may want to take Amber's excellent advice and make it in a slow cooker. We have a small yogurt maker with seven jars and they only last a week ......... and that's with only one child! :D

We make yogurt using a kitchen pot, candy thermometer, heating pad, cooler, and mason jars that we already own. I don't know where I'd put another appliance... unless it was an ice cream maker. ;)

Ditto here.

I don't own many gadgets and am in general against getting them. But I started thinking this might be a good idea.

I don't really have any of those things! I do, however, have a slow cooker, so I will have to investigate that. I actually have been thinking of getting a second, bigger slow cooker, so maybe that would be a better purchase.

Here are some links for past threads for you. Inside those threads there are other links :)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135961&highlight=yogurt

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137679&highlight=yogurt

Enjoy, it is fun!

Thanks! I'll check them out!

Thank you, everybody!

I make crockpot yogurt and it turns out great! And, it's easy. And you don't have to buy an extra gadget. Here is the recipe. I started with a plain, organic yogurt as the live/active culture. After the first time I use my homemade yogurt as the culture. Over time, the yogurt keeps getting thicker with each new batch--wonderful and creamy! I have a 1.5 qt crockpot and this is the perfect size for us. GL

This... haven't done it for a while but it turned out fabulous! I used the recipe/instructions in the Tightwad Gazette. Yum, I should do this again!

I had one, and used it religiously for about 2 years. Then I got tired of making it and sold it, especially after I found a local organic brand that I really like.

I think about making it every now and then, but I wouldn't buy a maker, just do it using regular tools from my kitchen..

I have 2 Donvier yogurt makers that I am selling. I bought one from the BreadBeckers at convention and liked it so much that I bought another one. Each has 8 little cups. Plus I have at least 2 dozen extra cups.

We have since graduated to going through 2 quarts of yogurt a day so I don't use these. I do have other yogurt makers as I like consistency and I wanted to have set instructions, times, etc.

I love my yoghurt maker. I put UHT (sterilised milk) plus a little tub of plain yoghurt and some milk powder in, add a little water for the container to sit in, switch it on and ignore it. I don't have to worry about temperature or anything else. It makes great yoghurt. Don't be sucked into buying some kind of proprietary starter: plain yoghurt works.

Laura

I have a yoghurt maker that makes a litre of yoghurt at a time it this one. It is just like a tiny slow cooker so I can imagine that would work very well if the temperature went low enough.

I only use the about 2 tsp of starter yoghurt saved from the previous batch or from a small pot of bought yoghurt. I don't use UHT as I find it hard to find organic full fat. I actually think its not for sale in the UK any more.

I basically bring organic homogenised milk to 85 degrees C then let it cool. Then put that in the yogurt maker with the starter and turn it on for 8 hrs. I then leave it alone in the fridge over night as it gets milder. I have tried un homogenized milk but it comes out very lumpy. More like cottage cheese.

I really like the yoghurt maker but If I had a slow cooker I would try that.

I have a vintage Thermocult yogurt maker that holds three quart sized mason jars. It's very simple and makes great yogurt. I just need to remember to get it out and do it!

I got it off eBay years ago and was shocked when the bidding went to almost $30. Turns out it's a collectible. (Now there's one on eBay and the seller wants $75 for it!) If I didn't already own mine, I'd go ahead and rig something up with a cooler. Those little jam jars would be about the right size.