Menu

Anyone have palpatations at night??????

Hi,

I woke up last night very hot and my heart was beating fast. I clocked it at like 96 beats a minute laying still. I got up and sit around for a couple hours. Eventually it went slower. But, also every few beats it felt like my heart would skip a beat.

I had this a few months ago and my Dr. said told me if it continued to come back in. Then he tested me for menopause and I came out Post Menopause. I'm 47. I also had a (monthly) for the last two months.

I am down to a cup of 1/2 caffiene and 1/2 decaff coffee in the morning and that is it. No chocolate.......nothing with caffiene.

Anyone experience anything like this.

thanks,

Amber

Oh ya! Mine got so bad a couple Christmas ago, I felt it stop, my heart, for what seemed forever. Went to the ER, thought I was dying.

I went totally off caffeine (no tea, coffee, chocolate). I also found increasing soy in my diet helped a little. I still get little ones but not as bad. Thyroid is a common cause too.

The changes associated with menopause often cause heart palpitations, irregular heart beats, beats that seem so strong they jerk my body around.

I wore a heart monitor for a week about 5 years ago, but it showed nothing wrong. The palpitations have eased (after about 3 years), but hot flashes/ insomnia have increased! I find that using a little progesterone cream in the am and pm every day has helped with all sorts of menopausal symptoms.

I will occassionally have a irregular heart beat when I rest and my dad (who is a doctor) says that this is common and wasn't worried about it. My heart wasn't racing, it just feels like it is fluttering or missing a beat. It doesn't happen all the time, but it will go on little phases.

This started for me during my last pregnancy (at 37), and has continued for the past two years to some degree. I have always been sensitive to caffeine, and despite the horror of living life without chocolate and coffee, this is the only thing that helps. If I have even a 1/2 cup of green tea, I'll have palpitations. Not only that, but it takes a good 4 days to totally clear my system (the Doc said it would only take 8 hours, but I'll still have palps. a couple of days later).

I also notice some pattern to when I'm most sensitive, although I've never pinpointed it to phases in my menstrual cycle.

You might try to totally give up caffeine (even decaf effects me). Give it a couple of weeks, and see if you improve.

I've had palpitations, racing heartbeat (they weren't particulalry concerned about 120 beats per minute resting), and the feeling of a skipped beat. The latter, in my case, is a common and benign condition that is actually called a premature beat. (It totally feels like the heart just stops and then goes WHUMP.) Anyway, when I had it really bad, I was perimenopausal and had gotten flat out exhausted. It took about 6-8 weeks to resolve. I had a bunch of tests, etc. Since then, I've been careful to avoid the exhaustion. I still get a bit of it occasionally. You should have it checked, but you shouldn't worry. (ie Get it checked to be prudent, but don't worry that they're going to find anything.) It's common for these symptoms to have benign explanations as women approach and go through menopause.

Dh and I have both had palpitations. Beyong giving up caffeine, which has already been suggested, you may want to try taking magnesium suppliments. My sister was having palps a while ago and a cardiologist suggested the magnesium to her. It cleared hers up and it worked for dh and I also. From what I've read, most people are somewhat deficient in magesium.

Another thing you may want to have checked out since it is happening at night is sleep apnea. You don't want to mess around with that. If it is the cause you need to be treated.

I have had them, but mine went super fast -- faster than when I do aerobics. I was diagnosed with SVT (supraventriculr tachycardia) which is when the electrical impulse basically short-circuits and keeps firing too quickly.

My heart rate went to 206 just by standing from a sitting position. I was checked for thyroid problems, my electrolytes were checked, and I had an echocardiogram (or something like that -- a heart ultrasound). My heart muscle itself is very healthy, but there was an electrical problem.

I had a cardiac ablation procedure done in February and am perfectly fine now.

I will always have an irrgular heart beat, my cardiologist said, but it is not dangerous.

It took me completely by surprise!

I was having palputations and had to wear a halter monitor for 3 days. They saw some of the palputations and I then had to wear it for THIRTY days. I had to record and send tapes in daily. It was a nightmare...outcome??? They believe it was stress induced anxiety. Also, my iron was a bit low.

I was told to eat bananas for the potassium, exercise daily (i don't, but should), and then I had to be VERY careful not to have any products with MSG (monosodium glutamate) MSG has been shown to give heart palputations and severe headaches...I was having MSG in my Ranch Salad dressing, and chicken broth.

Because I was only 30 at the time, the cardiologist said he wasn't going to treat me at all. He said if I were 45 or older, he'd put me on a betablocker. Just watching caffeine, MSG, staying as healthy as possible has helped me tremendously. I rarely get palputations now. I pray you find your answer quick, it can be as simple as stress.

Oh, I forgot to say that I exercise for an hour daily, and am only 35, so I was totally not forseeing any sort of heart issue.

I also have very low blood pressure (80's over 60's), so the first betablocker I was put on made me positively loopy (cardiazem or something like that). I was crying all the time, felt confused, anxious -- I thought I was going crazy. They finally found a medication that worked, but the cardiologist didn't think it would be wise to medicate me for the rest of my life if fixing the problem would work. It was the scariest thing that I have ever been through. I could actually feel them burning my heart tissue to remedy the problem. Glad it's over!

Hi,

I woke up last night very hot and my heart was beating fast. I clocked it at like 96 beats a minute laying still. I got up and sit around for a couple hours. Eventually it went slower. But, also every few beats it felt like my heart would skip a beat.

I had this a few months ago and my Dr. said told me if it continued to come back in. Then he tested me for menopause and I came out Post Menopause. I'm 47. I also had a (monthly) for the last two months.

I am down to a cup of 1/2 caffiene and 1/2 decaff coffee in the morning and that is it. No chocolate.......nothing with caffiene.

Anyone experience anything like this.

thanks,

Amber

Waking up suddenly from a nightmare I'll sometimes have palpatations--I have an artificial heart valve so it gets pretty noisy when my heart takes a run by itself in the middle of the night. It is kinda scary. But temporary.

Definitely see your doctor, to rule out anything serious first. Then ask him/her about taking magnesium supplements. Like PercyTruffle and LlamaMama mentioned above, those with a deficiency in magnesium are more prone to palps. Heart palps are soooo scary. My heart feels flip floppy when I get them. Fortunately, I'm rarely bothered by them anymore. Please read my story about my heart palpitations on my blog. Click on "Health" in the sidebar to find my story, which is in two parts. It's called "Be Still My Heart". Scroll down to the bottom of the page and begin reading Part 1 first. Remember, this is just *my* story, but it may be helpful to you.

I had this a year ago. I went to the doctor (with a friend from here) and had everything checked out including and echo-cardiogram and a stress test. The doctor saw mine go away during the stress test while I was on the treadmill, and saw it return right afterwards. Turns out mine is stress related.

What helps me?

Magnesium Oil and Natural Calm brand Magnesium. I had enough calcium but not enough magnesium and that is common among women.

I am calmer in general, no more anxiety and I am much more rested. I take it at night. It also helps with cramps!