Menu

Looking to buy a new all-in-one printer, copier, scanner...

any favorites or suggestions? My hp finally quit. We do lots of printing and copying, not too much scanning; we rarely fax. It would be nice to have a wireless machine. I looked at Walmart tonight. So many choices. I'd like to spend around $100. I suppose the speed and quality of copying is my top priority. Keeping the cost of replacement cartridges down would be a plus.

Walmart had hp, Canon and Kodak in stock. The attractive feature of the Kodak machine was being able to insert your camera memory stick, although I don't know how much we'd actually use that feature.

• 2 weeks later...

There are so many factors.

HP is great, it never plugs, why? Because each time you replace the cartridge, you are replacing in the print heads too. Something to consider.

Cost of printing. HP can be pricey, but their cartridges generally print 500 sheets at a time, but still works out to be over 10¢/page, unless you can get a deal. I have found the black cartridge 3 packs at costco which cut the cost of ink by over 1/2.

Lexmark has a printer that claims 1¢ per page. I can get the printer locally, but would have to order the cartridges, and would work out to about 2¢/page with shipping. Less if I order more than 1 4-pack at a time.

There is also the option of a laser printer. Color ones are pricey. You can get a black and white for pretty inexpensive, and their cartridges print from 1000-2500 pages, depending on model. Dell has a small one $120 at costco with a cartridge that prints 1000, and a samsung refill that prints 2000 pages for $80, so 4¢/page. Now I print at econo, so I don't know it it would print more or not, I think it would. I've heard great things on Laser, but my HP is barely 2 years old, so I continue to shop for the cheapest cartridges, and so far that is costco.

I will likely further research the Lexmark when the time comes, but am leaning toward another HP, but laser. I have had a few other brands but my HP's have outlasted every other brand by 3 to 5 years.

We have an HP Office Jet 6500 wireless. I love it. Our previous hp all in one cost about 60.00 to replace ink cartridges. This new printer has the three separate color and one black. You can buy two sizes in the black, depending on your budget. Most of our printing is either for dh's business or school. We don't print a lot of photos. I've been pleased at how long the ink cartridges last.

We have an HP Officejet Pro that has 4 separate cartridges. I really like that. Our model was originally pretty pricey, but I got it when it was being discontinued for a pretty sweet price. We've had it at least two years, I use it all the time, and it hasn't given us a bit of trouble.

I buy our cartridges at Sam's Club or, more recently, from Amazon.

I am speaking from little knowledge here. The VA sent us a Lexmark. I have a feature to reduce the ink usage (I'm sure all printers do this) so I can get quite a few pages per cartridge. The school gave us $ cards to office max and I signed up for the teacher card which sends me discounts periodically. I like the lexmark, it is the p/s/f type plus has a slot for different camera memory cards so pictures are easy. I don't know if all printers do this, but I really like this feature.

Lara

After years and years of having HP printers and having them break down on me I finally got an Epson All In One and I am so impressed with it. The ink is cheaper and the print color is cleaner and crisper than on any of the HP's. It was also only $40 at Target! It may not be on sale anymore, the regular price was around $80 which is still a good deal. I also like that the colored ink is in three little cartridges so if you run out of blue you just replace blue not the entire color cartridge.

It's this one:

http://www.target.com/Epson-Stylus-NX215-Printer-C11CA47231/dp/B0026L3C4M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&qid=1274887768&frombrowse=0&fromGsearch=true&node=1038576|1287991011&keywords=epson&searchSize=30&id=Epson%20Stylus%20NX215%20Printer%20C11CA47231&searchBinNameList=purchasing_channel,subjectbin,target_com_age,target_com_gender-bin,target_com_character-bin,price,target_com_primary_color-bin,target_com_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchRank=target104545&sr=1-4&searchPage=1

We have a HP Photosmart Plus wireless model. Got it at SAMs Club and love it so far. We have had lots of the lexmark ones but they don't last long for us. Had an older model of one of the lexmark though and it was a keeper was very sad when it finally retired.

After years and years of having HP printers and having them break down on me I finally got an Epson All In One and I am so impressed with it.

How funny--my experience is the complete opposite! We had a series of Epsons and hated them. You may be able to change just one cartridge at a time, but if you run out of, say, yellow ink the entire printer/copier/scanner is inoperable until you replace the yellow ink cartridge. Never mind that you are not printing in yellow or that you are not printing at all, you MUST have yellow ink before the darn thing will work again. Bah.

We've had an HP Photosmart Plus since Christmas and I am very pleased. First of all it's wireless, so we can print from any computer. It's also faster and I think better quality than our previous Epsons. It still eats ink, but I'm not sure that you can get around that. It's not too bad at Sams or BJ's--at least it's easy to find (something that was not the case with Epson in our experience).

Obviously YMMV, especially since my experience is exactly opposite to another poster!

We own the Kodak 5500 aio series.

I give it a - um - ok rating. See, the thing is, my dad worked for Kodak for over 20 years. I want to like it. I really, really do. The ink is SO STINKIN' CHEAP - $10 for black, $15 for color.

But.

It's.

So.

Slow.

At everything. Really.

Print quality is usually ok, but seems like it eats that ink up fast. we had a problem with the print head, but they replaced it for free right away.

Still can't recommend it though. HTH.