Menu

Library Rant and ?

I just moved from a large wonderful library system to a tiny one that doesn't seem to have anything that I want. Which isn't a huge deal because I can still get stuff through InterLibrary Loan.....right? They even have a nifty state-wide system where you can request books from other libraries in MI. Well, I tried to do that the other day and it wouldn't let me. Not a big deal- I went to the library to have the librarian request it for me. The reason it wouldn't let me request it is because all the other copies are checked out (there are only 5). I was like "yeah, I know, I want to put it on hold" "Oh, we can't do that. You can only request books that are checked in." Seriously? Seriously?!?!? I'm sure I looked incredulous- I asked if I could request it from somewhere else on InterLibrary Loan. The librarian looked shocked. "You mean from outside of Michigan?" "yes, that's what I mean."

She still looks shocked and says "We've never done anything like that before." So the only thing I can do is check the Michigan-wide card catalog every day and request it when one is checked in or request that the library purchase it- which would take MUCH longer than I want, even if they DID purchase it. It's not new, so I kinda doubt that they would. Of course, after this exchange, I go look up 15 other books I'm looking for and they only had one.

So that was my rant- here's my question. Is this true? Do libraries in MI only loan to each other? Is InterLibrary Loan only for the other 49 states? Should I ask to speak to someone higher on the food chain at my library?

Our interlibrary loan system is for the Central Valley of California and it is free. If we need a book from say, Los Angeles, we are going to have to pay $5. That is something different than interlibrary loan (can't remember the name of it).

However, my system allows me to put books on hold regardless of whether they are already checked out or not (kinda the point of putting them on hold). So I have some books where I'm #100 on the list and the book may come from Fresno or it may come from my own town. It just depends on when the next copy becomes available.

I would ask up the "food chain" at your library.

However, once upon a time ILL was a service that your library had to join. Obviously there are costs associated so not every library-particularly those with low budgets-participated. I don't know if this is still true but I could be a problem. Yes, many libraries in MI do participate in ILL.

I have to imagine that your library must also have a wait list request system.

Perhaps you are just dealing with a rookie.

I'm sorry to say, she may be correct. I've ordered books from the interloan system before. When I ordered them they were available, however prior to them filling my request someone else checked out the book. Rather than putting a hold on the book or shipping it from somewhere else, I received a call over a week later informing me that I need to resubmit my request.

Our individual library has a hold system, but I don't believe MelCat has one.

ETA: I don't know about all Michigan libraries, but I do know that ours only does interloans from other Michigan libraries.

Edited by natalie

Our ILL is only specific to our state. We cannot request books out of state. Unfortunately for me, our library system had to drop out of state wide ILL because of costs. We can now only do ILL through our specific library system (which is still pretty big). I don't know if I would go higher up to speak to someone about requesting books out of state. I have not heard of that before.

As to putting a request/hold on a book already checked out, we can do that. Sometimes the requests for a new book can be in the hundreds, you just have to wait your turn :001_smile: That is something I wold check out with someone higher up. It seems like a small thing to know that the item is requested and goes to the next in line.

However, my system allows me to put books on hold regardless of whether they are already checked out or not (kinda the point of putting them on hold). So I have some books where I'm #100 on the list and the book may come from Fresno or it may come from my own town. It just depends on when the next copy becomes available.

Ours in the same in that regard, but we our local library only does loans from other libraries that are connected with them. If it's not in the Central Regional Rappahannock system, then I have to go elsewhere. The local community college will do loans (and they'll even give you a longer borrowing period), but it takes for.ev.er for the books to come in.

I'm really surprised at the responses- I've worked in libraries in Kansas and Indiana and both used ILL across state lines every day. My sister works in a library in IL and hers does too. The libraries I've worked at did not charge for ILL, but I understand that some have to and I'd be more than happy to pay for it- still cheaper than buying everything I want to read that the library doesn't want to buy! I guess I'll just have to get in the habit of checking MelCat every day.

I'd go up the food chain, right to the director.

If my library does not have a copy of the book I need/want and it is still in print, I ask them to purchase it. Some times this works, sometimes not. The library I am using now will only buy books from certain sources:confused: so they won't always get me what I need. But they have bought almost every book I have requested.

When I worked at my little local library in CO, my director told me that it usually cost less to simply puchase the book than it did for all the ILL courier costs. She would even buy used books on occasion if they were not available through ILL. Granted she was the best boss ever and the most relaxed and happy library director I have ever met, so it may just depend on the library.

I'm sorry to say, she may be correct. I've ordered books from the interloan system before. When I ordered them they were available, however prior to them filling my request someone else checked out the book. Rather than putting a hold on the book or shipping it from somewhere else, I received a call over a week later informing me that I need to resubmit my request.

Our individual library has a hold system, but I don't believe MelCat has one.

ETA: I don't know about all Michigan libraries, but I do know that ours only does interloans from other Michigan libraries.

What she said. :glare:

Inter-library loan works in systems. So who is in the system really depends on where you live. It is not nation-wide. I'm sure some cross borders...but that depends on the which libraries banded together when the local ILL was started.

In Wisconsin we're broken into regions. I can order from the south-central library association, not the northern region, Milwaukee, or Illinois.

However, ask about WorldCat. It's a nationwide system where you can request books that are not available in your system. I've been able to find rare books on my son's condition from universities a few states away or detailed historical texts that aren't available nearby.

Remember, just because the person checks out your books does not mean they are a 'librarian.' Times are tight and many small library's can't afford the salary of a librarian (or can just afford one to manage the library). The person you spoke with may be a tech trained on the system. She wouldn't have the detail you need if the subject had never come up before. Keep asking. Or even email a librarian at your old library. One of them can tell you.

I think two things are going on here. One is individual library policies and the second is library software ability. You moved from a large, probably well-funded system to a smaller library system which is still fortunate to be part of the MelCat consortium. Your library, particularly if small, may be maxed out just participating in MelCat and has chosen to not seek outside of Michigan requests or as others have mentioned the individual you spoke to may not be aware of the possibility because it is done infrequently. some library catalog systems do not have a hold function available at all. Some don't have that functionality on the catalog available to patrons. If available at all it may be available only on the staff side and only for items they have in their library.

For example at the academic library where I'm employed, patrons can place request for our books and books from the 75 other academic libraries in our system. If something is checked out of our library and one of our patrons would like to place a hold on it, they must contact me directly at which time I would ask how soon they need the item and if they would rather place an interlibrary loan request for the item which means from all of the other libraries in WorldCat. If the patron of another library called to place a hold for one of our books, I would have to tell them kindly that isn't not possible.

I would suggest going to worldcat.org which allows you to search for books and see who has the closest copies by entering your zip code. Than you would be prepared to either suggest a Michigan library that isn't part of MelCat or another nearby library where it is available. Be prepared to pay a borrowing fee as some libraries charge up to $25-50 per interlibrary loan.