Menu

Little Kitchen gadgets - your favorites!

Help me shop! Dh's dear, dear aunt is turning 70 and I want to give her a bunch of little things that will make her life easier or just more fun.

Is there something you love?

We love the Pampered Chef ice cream scoop that warms with the heat of your hand and makes ice cream easier to scoop. (Though that's not an inexpensive little thing...)

She loves to embroider. Anything I could get quickly at amazon that would make her life easier?

I thought it might be fun to focus on the kitchen and find a bunch of little things like tea bag rests or egg timers or things that would just add joy to her life! She and her dh married late in life and never had children so we like to try to pamper her as we can!

Thanks for any ideas!

A recent, life-saving addition to my kitchen: onion goggles.

I have battled dry eyes since moving to the windy midwest, and I'd gotten to the point that chopping onions was near impossible. These have made it possible to return to my regular recipes.

DH ordered them from Bed Bath & Beyond, I think they were about $20.

It's totally frivolous, but I love my battery operated flour sifter.

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-140-Battery-Operated-Sifter/dp/B000JWLO6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1273524933&sr=8-1

And the favorite spoons at my house are these Zak Designs Happy Spoons. I have them in different colors. Everything is better when made with a happy spoon. :001_smile:

http://www.amazon.com/Zak-Designs-0722-0514-Happy-Spoon/dp/B001GBL6B4/ref=pd_sim_k_2

They are SO useful! I bought some for a specific recipe about 6 months ago, and I use them for all kinds of things, just about every day.

Williams Sonoma has or had a bunch of measuring spoons with unusual but useful sizes, like 2 teaspoons, 1/2 tablespoon, 2 tablespoons.

A microplane lemon zester is awesome.

The newish Pampered Chef trifle bowl is really nice--it's clear glass so you can see all the layers, and it has a sealing top (like Tupperware) so it's easy to transport or store food. The bowl comes off the base, so it doesn't take up much room in the refridgerator, either. Very nice looking but also more practical than others.

If she doesn't have the Pampered Chef peeler yet, its a must, must, must have. I also adore their All Purpose Spreader. Oh, and the Large Serving Spatula. The Slice and Serve is quite nice as well. I'm not addicted to Pampered Chef anymore, but these things are my go-tos.

Surely you are smarter than I was -- but just in case you don't know how dangerous they are, please, please do NOT give her a mandoline. Earlier this spring, I bought one, thinking that it would save me time. The safety device failed, and I amputated a chunk of a finger. It took nearly two months to grow back, and I have a large hospital bill, to boot.

Surely you are smarter than I was -- but just in case you don't know how dangerous they are, please, please do NOT give her a mandoline. Earlier this spring, I bought one, thinking that it would save me time. The safety device failed, and I amputated a chunk of a finger. It took nearly two months to grow back, and I have a large hospital bill, to boot.

Yikes! No mandoline....:grouphug:

-garlic press

-egg slicer (I use it for strawberries)

-Silpat pad (these aren't cheap, but I have seen knockoffs recently)

-wooden spoons, wooden spatulas, wooden ladles (I *heart* wooden utensils)

-ramekins

-baking stone

I like the Pampered Chef tomato corer (doubles as a great tool for taking the top greenery & little core from strawberries). I also like the egg slicer for slicing strawberries, kiwi, mushrooms and hard-boiled eggs (not necessarily to eat in the same dish)! Also like the orange peeler. Usually for give-aways by consultants. Kept me from grabbing a knife & board and is great for removing things from tight spaces, like muffins from a pan.