Menu

Job transfer to Fairfax, VA

My dh's job might be transferring him to Fairfax, VA this summer. I know there have been posts about "moving to VA" in the past -- anyone actually moved yet? :)

Anyone have recommendations for good areas around Fairfax to live? His company is near 66 & Chain Bridge, I think. My ideal is in the country on an acre or so, with lots of big trees. My reality is probably...a lot less.

I'm torn between feeling this is an exciting (expensive) adventure and sheer panic. :lol:

We love VA ! BUT, we don't live in Fairfax County. For more space, try looking in Prince William, Loudoun or Fauquier counties........ some places have cheaper housing and more land. We're in northern PW and have 3 acres in a 'somewhat' neighborhood (ie- you can be neighborly or NOT) because we're spread out.

We like where we are because of the space and privacy. After reading Marianne's crazy-wazy neighbor , it makes me glad to have what we do even more. I know a great realtor, if you're interested. Let me know.

We currently live in Fairfax. What you want is available but the question you and your husband need to ask yourself is "how long is he willing to commute?" The traffic in the morning and afternoon commute isn't fun. Will public transportation be available, is that an option? We picked our location because the bus my husband gets on is a five minute walk from our house. Come and check it out and when you find a place, drive it in rush hour traffic. You can send me a PM if you want to ask more questions.

We are in northern Prince William County.

Yes, the commute is important. Fortunately, he doesn't have to go all the way into the city. Nearby areas like Fairfax Station (south of Fairfax along Ox Rd, but maybe part of the city itself) or Burke or Clifton seem more "country" to me. There are also areas that aren't too far from us in northern PW co. that seem much more rural than Fairfax itself.

Just beware the sticker shock...depending on where you're coming from, of course. We came here from NH 3+ yrs ago and could not believe the housing prices here. Of course, the farther out from DC you are, the better!

Traffic is a huge issue in FFX Co. . . as is $$$. . .

3 acres. . . well, that is pretty unattainable in FFX Co for most all families. Lots that large are almost nonexistent, and any that are available are typically $1 million ++ properties.

If you go further out, it becomes more possible to find property. . . Still very expensive. In general, you have to go longer commute to find anything reasonable with land. . . You will want to TRY the commute at rush hour before putting any contract on anything. A 25 mile commute can be 1 hr ++. . .

HTH. . .

Traffic issues are huge here!! For a local look, try watching a few TrafficLand cameras for the area between 3pm and 7pm on a Friday.

http://www.trafficland.com/city/WAS4/

I don't want to scare you, but it took me TWO hours to get from Fairfax City to Stafford County last Friday. I left Fairfax at 4pm and got home at 6pm.

Prince William County.... off of PW Parkway will have some good places. Otherwise you're looking at Orange, or further west. Louden and FFX are going to be more expensive. The rule of thumb is the closer in to DC, the more expensive it's going to be.

The area your husband will be working is Vienna, VA -- or Tyson's Corner. Lots of traffic around 123. It was bad when I lived there in the early 90's, and it's only gotten worse.

There are some very nice places in McLean, but they are going to be *very* expensive. Warrenton, VA...Manassas.... Orange.... are all much lower in price. Visit http://www.remax.com and start typing in these cities to get an idea:

Sterling, Reston, Herndon, Chantilly (all pretty close), then go to Manassas, Orange, Warrenton. The commute isn't horrible IF you can work with the hours (for example, I used to leave the house at 5am, go to the gym by my office and then work from 7:30 until 4:00... and get out before the afternoon rush was horrid, some people are fine with that, other employers not so much). HOV also helps along the 66 corridor, and since you aren't going to DC -- picking up a slug on the way in will save a lot of commute time (or doing a ride share, depending upon where you live, relative to people who work in the same area).

Due to your commute, I'd avoid anywhere on the 95 corridor -- unless you can hop onto the PW Parkway.

Stay Away from the Beltway... far away ;)

Welcome to Fairfax County, Virginia!

And, no those aren't realtor phone numbers.....those are the prices!:toetap05:

Everyone has given you incredibly helpful and incredibly truthful, honest, realistic info.

You have to decide how much of a commute you want your dh to have -- everything hinges on that, methinks. And, yes, the traffic is as heinous as everyone says it is.

And, further out means 'more house/more property.' We are NOT further out - we are in Oakton with 1/2 acre zoning -- I've stated here already, 1/2 acre in Oakton is HUGE.

Fairfax Station is GORGEOUS -- so is Clifton, Burke is very, very nice with all major conveniences right there. The good thing is that there are so many places for you to look - there truly is somnething for everyone -- there is a section of Fairfax called 'Mantua' -- it is lovely.

HTH

We love VA ! BUT, we don't live in Fairfax County. For more space, try looking in Prince William, Loudoun or Fauquier counties........ some places have cheaper housing and more land. We're in northern PW and have 3 acres in a 'somewhat' neighborhood (ie- you can be neighborly or NOT) because we're spread out.

We like where we are because of the space and privacy. After reading Marianne's crazy-wazy neighbor , it makes me glad to have what we do even more. I know a great realtor, if you're interested. Let me know.

Yikes, my sister and parents live in Loudoun County. I hate to think what's considered expensive if that's cheaper and more land. My sister has a 2400 sq.ft. townhouse, for about $500,000. Granted, it's in a gated community, which I would want if I lived up there too. My parents are in a 1800 sq. ft. condo, around $275,000. It's in a retirement community so I understand why it's a little higher. Here, each of their places would be HALF that, in good parts of town. Actually, my sister's place would be about a third of what it is there. It's insane!

Yikes, my sister and parents live in Loudoun County. I hate to think what's considered expensive if that's cheaper and more land. My sister has a 2400 sq.ft. townhouse, for about $500,000. Granted, it's in a gated community, which I would want if I lived up there too. My parents are in a 1800 sq. ft. condo, around $275,000. It's in a retirement community so I understand why it's a little higher. Here, each of their places would be HALF that, in good parts of town. Actually, my sister's place would be about a third of what it is there. It's insane!

It is only very very recently that prices in Loudoun have come down. Compared to what prices were in Loudoun three years ago, the pricing there is definitely lower than it was - everything is relative, I guess. And yes, it is insane -- even with the correction that has been experienced...one still sees prices creeping up in places where inventory is low.

I love Loudoun county - would like to go back but probably won't.

Thank you all! I wrote all the city names down for my dh & I to start looking. I especially appreciate the advice about driving in rush hour to see.

When I get another chance to get online I will PM those of you who offered...need all the advice I can get!

Thank you all! I wrote all the city names down for my dh & I to start looking. I especially appreciate the advice about driving in rush hour to see.

When I get another chance to get online I will PM those of you who offered...need all the advice I can get!

The current issue of WASHINGTONIAN magazine is devoted to zip codes, real estate, buys, bottoming out, etc. It is quite informative.

We are in Fairfax and moving this Saturday to Vienna, which is very close to where your dh will be working. Having just gone through a house search there, I'd be happy to give you any help I can if you'd like to PM me. Plus, if you do move here I know some homeschool groups and co-ops in that area.

I'm more of a living closer in and taking advantage of the city with less commute kind of gal rather than living farther out with more house/land. My perspective is that there are significant disadvantages to living here ($, traffic, pace of life) but living closer in at least enables us to really take advantage of all the great things (free museums, all the activities going on, etc). I work in Reston (which might be a good place for you to look) and many of the people I work with live farther out and I know rarely if ever get into DC. They are fine with that, but it's not as appealing for me.

The houses next door to us were built about 4 years ago. They are 4 bedrooms built right next to each other--maybe an eighth of an acre? Can't be more than 2000sq ft. Selling price? 800-850 THOUSAND dollars. Yeah, it's bad around here. I live in Lorton, about 40 minutes to DC during rush hour (with no accidents), about half that long during non-rush hour.

It just makes your eyes pop out.

Welcome to Fairfax County, Virginia!

And, no those aren't realtor phone numbers.....those are the prices!:toetap05:

Everyone has given you incredibly helpful and incredibly truthful, honest, realistic info.

You have to decide how much of a commute you want your dh to have -- everything hinges on that, methinks. And, yes, the traffic is as heinous as everyone says it is.

And, further out means 'more house/more property.' We are NOT further out - we are in Oakton with 1/2 acre zoning -- I've stated here already, 1/2 acre in Oakton is HUGE.

Fairfax Station is GORGEOUS -- so is Clifton, Burke is very, very nice with all major conveniences right there. The good thing is that there are so many places for you to look - there truly is somnething for everyone -- there is a section of Fairfax called 'Mantua' -- it is lovely.

HTH

Yes, Mantua is lovely! A friend of mine bought a foreclosure in Mantua about 11 years ago for $215K and I thought THAT was expensive.:lol:

There is a home on her street (Hamilton Dr) that is for sale for $700K.

These are older homes but on beautiful lots and in a great location. Very woodsy....

The house at the end of our street is for sale. :D We live in PW county, a reasonable distance from where your husband's job will be. We like it here, but like anyplace in NOVA, it is not exempt from the urban sprawl. Nokesville is nice. PM if you want the number of an AWESOME realtor. We have used him exclusively for no less than 7 transactions in this area (both for primary residences and investment properties).

Just wanted to add that there are some nice splitlevel homes across the street from us (across US 1, which looks like a very wide city street here, not like 95! lol) and down a few blocks--our df just sold her 3 bedroom, 1 bath with an extra bath and bedroom they put in the basement (the finished basement was where they homeschooled--walkout, nice yard... for $425K. I can highly recommend the neighborhood! Pohick Estates is the name, if you want to look there. It's in Lorton.

:lurk5:

We're still looking. DH has found a lot of prospective homes -- he's flying out early June to house hunt for rentals.

Stephanie: we've been to a number of lacrosse games for our girls that have been played in Alexandria -- I am IN LOVE WITH Alexandria and now I understand why folks who live there intend never to move.

We have played many games in the area around St. Stephen's and St. Agnes' school (hope I didn't kill any kittens) -- and The Episcopal High School (think that is the name of it) games were at Minnie Howard field - I think - not sure -- anyway, dh loves it there anyway, and now I am seeing why. The streets are WIDE - there is SO much green, and it is close in.

DH loves Old Town and I am toying with the idea - I am really at heart a 'city girl.' I want to be on 25 acres in the middle of nowhere (which is probably quite redundant) OR I want to be in MIDTOWN!