Menu

Objectives for middle school

Night Elf

I don't want this to turn into a 'what curriculum are you using' thread. I'm familiar with way too much curriculum. :D

What I'm interested in knowing is what are you hoping your child will learn throughout middle school? Dd12 will be transitioning from 6th to 7th grade this summer. And like we all do, I am wondering if I'm missing anything.

I'd say her basic skills are right where they should. Subjects like math, spelling, vocabulary, and grammar are going well. She is about to finish her outside Literature, Creative Writing, and Intro to Chemistry classes. They are offered by a group called LEO, Lifelong Educational Opportunities. The classes and teachers have been wonderful but I can't help but wonder if I'm missing anything in that line-up. Oh, um, that's rather vague. Hmm.. a specific example: she has read some great books in literature. They discuss them in class and maybe write a little something. I'm not sure what dd12 should be taking away from literature. Is she doing enough?

Science is a topic we've always had trouble covering at home. I am quite happy with what she's learned in her science class and the way they learned it. I never really thought about the presentation, but I wonder if it's close to the way TWM suggests it be done. I need to reread that section.

History, or rather social studies as Keystone calls it, has been okay. Every weekly lesson has a project that culiminates the information learned in the lesson. They write reflections, post cards, build a website or create a board game. She did a collage with an essay, and a couple of travel brochures focusing on some highlights of the areas of Egypt and India. We have great discussions, and she is beginning to draw connections between subjects. Overall, we've been happy with this class. But what might I be missing?

She's starting Rosetta Stone French and is loving it. She will begin a French 1 class with LEO in August, when the new school year begins. In addition to that, she will continue taking Literature, Creative Writing, and science (which will focus on Biology all year). We're also thinking about adding Latin at that point. My dd17 will be taking Latin II and I'd like to see her tutor dd12 in Latin I.

Ok, now I'm talking too much. From each subject, what do you think middle schoolers should be learning? or at least toss out a few ideas. I think her LEO classes are fantastic and I am not seeking to change them, but I think I could be doing more with some of those subjects.

Ugh.. I'm literally falling asleep on my laptop and I'm bummed that my eyes won't focus on the pages of TWTM. :tongue_smilie: I guess I have to wait until tomorrow to check those sections again.

This is a great question. Ds2 is currently in 6th, and I've been trying to figure out how best to get him prepared for high school.

Overall goals:

Improve writing skills. Ds can write a paragraph or two narration style but hasn't worked on introductory paragraphs, thesis statements, editing his writing.

Develop research skills. We haven't done this well, even though R&S English 6 walks you through the steps to writing a short research paper.

Solidifying math understanding. His arithmetic skills are good. The problem is more about thinking problems through to figure out how to solve them. Ds tends to grab at formulas and crank out numbers. Or he'll come at a problem in a different way that works for this problem, but would not be a good way to approach a more complex problem.

For science, ds would rather just study astronomy every year. I have to require him to dig into other topics. He's learning to conduct experiments and write lab reports. We'll just continue with that.

Literature. He's already been exposed to some literary study from when we were in co-op. Basic stuff like plot diagrams, foreshadowing, similes, metaphors, stuff like that. I'd like to be able to move into some analysis--characters, setting. Lit and composition are my weak areas so I'm a bit vague on exactly what to accomplish and how. Maybe I'll get some good ideas from other posters.

Grammar/Spelling/Vocab. I want to move from daily grammar instruction to review. We'll drop spelling and add more vocab study. I want ds to apply these to his writing (re: editing skills above).

History is where I'm waffling. I haven't decided if we'll continue on with year 3 of the 4 year cycle, or if I want to compress yrs 3 and 4 of world history then do American history for 8th, or compress yrs 3 and 4 of world then move on to civics (a la Oak Meadow), or what. I want him to be exposed to some of the major events that have shaped our world and our country. I'm not sure ds is making any connections yet between past and current events. Dh wants us to incorporate more current events discussion so maybe that would help.

Now I'm starting to ramble. But this has been a good exercise for me.

Cinder

I've been through middle school with both my kids now, and the most important thing I did was to relax about school and the worries about preparing for high school. Most kids hit a huge growth spurt during the middle school years -- puberty hits with wild hormonal swings, they need more sleep and food, and their bodies are tired from all the growing and changing. Higher brain functions seem to cease for up to a year which can freak a parent out who is very focused on preparing for high school. The most wonderful thing is that when they are past puberty, there is a wonderful young adult in your house who has matured into someone capable of high school level and college level work, and who is interesting and fun to have around.

This is a time to focus on family traditions and to spend time enjoying your kids. They will be focused and busy enough once they are close to graduation, and soon after that they'll be moving away for work or college. Cherish this time. They may roll their eyes and complain about how stupid it is to listen to mom reading aloud, but do it anyway. Sharing your values are more important than ever during this stage, even though it seems they are rejecting everything you care about, show how much family matters to you by doing, not by lecturing.

Let them sleep in. Give them chores, make them sweat and get tired, pick some wonderful read alouds and insist that it is part of school each day. Watch old movies together, play games or go to the zoo on the spur of the moment and share stories of their childhood. Don't stop school, of course, but don't buy into the rat race that is part of most brick and mortar schools these days. They will still be learning, even though it seems they are regressing.

I've been through middle school with both my kids now, and the most important thing I did was to relax about school and the worries about preparing for high school. Most kids hit a huge growth spurt during the middle school years -- puberty hits with wild hormonal swings, they need more sleep and food, and their bodies are tired from all the growing and changing. Higher brain functions seem to cease for up to a year which can freak a parent out who is very focused on preparing for high school. The most wonderful thing is that when they are past puberty, there is a wonderful young adult in your house who has matured into someone capable of high school level and college level work, and who is interesting and fun to have around.

We've hit a lot of tiredness this year, we're finishing up 6th grade. Seems like this year has been about learning to work around the distractions.

Over the next two years I hope he builds his critical thinking skills, learns to write well, and try to find a passion or at least something to pursue, an ownership of his work I guess. He's a delayed reader and very dependent upon me to do most subjects. I hope to expand the areas he feels comfortable working on himself.

I certainly have areas I want him to study, but I think our big focus will be on developing good study habits, good organization skills, and creating a foundation that will pay him dividends in high school.

I feel that this is the first real 'math' as opposed to 'arithmetic' that kids study. All of the other years of arithmetic lead up to this. I really felt strongly about wanting to finish this by the end of 8th grade, so that DD has a solid year of real math before heading off to high school.

I hope by the end of middle school they will:

manage time, including planning out school days on their own using what I provide

hands on science experience (real lab hands on...not cutesy fun)

understand chemistry and physics

be math solo (I use DVDs from Alg on)

keep their work space orderly (I may never get this out of my boys)

babysitting

laundry

be ready for high school literature

be excellent writers at every level, save the research paper

have volunteer hours

start looking toward what professions they may enjoy

cook well and safely

lose any intimidation about latin

I can't think of anything more. Notice a lot of character goals are here. We grow academically, but that has come easy b/c we had a solid foundation. It's the other stuff that we tack on that poses a great challenge. Taking what we've learned and beginning to apply it w/o Momma holding hands.

This is a time to focus on family traditions and to spend time enjoying your kids. They will be focused and busy enough once they are close to graduation, and soon after that they'll be moving away for work or college. Cherish this time. They may roll their eyes and complain about how stupid it is to listen to mom reading aloud, but do it anyway. Sharing your values are more important than ever during this stage, even though it seems they are rejecting everything you care about, show how much family matters to you by doing, not by lecturing.

Let them sleep in. Give them chores, make them sweat and get tired, pick some wonderful read alouds and insist that it is part of school each day. Watch old movies together, play games or go to the zoo on the spur of the moment and share stories of their childhood. Don't stop school, of course, but don't buy into the rat race that is part of most brick and mortar schools these days. They will still be learning, even though it seems they are regressing.

Finishing up grade 8 now...I so agree with this!:iagree:

We've hit a lot of tiredness this year, we're finishing up 6th grade. Seems like this year has been about learning to work around the distractions.

Over the next two years I hope he builds his critical thinking skills, learns to write well, and try to find a passion or at least something to pursue, an ownership of his work I guess. He's a delayed reader and very dependent upon me to do most subjects. I hope to expand the areas he feels comfortable working on himself.

I certainly have areas I want him to study, but I think our big focus will be on developing good study habits, good organization skills, and creating a foundation that will pay him dividends in high school.

:iagree:

Glad ya'll posted...it gave me a sigh of relief!

Most kids hit a huge growth spurt during the middle school years -- puberty hits with wild hormonal swings, they need more sleep and food, and their bodies are tired from all the growing and changing. Higher brain functions seem to cease for up to a year which can freak a parent out who is very focused on preparing for high school.

:bigear:

We've hit a lot of tiredness this year, we're finishing up 6th grade. school.

:bigear:

Very glad you both posted this as a warning to me! My oldest dd is finishing up 6th grade and that has not happened, yet:001_huh: So I thank you BOTH from the bottom of my heart for the warning!!!!!!

Now I'm starting to ramble. But this has been a good exercise for me.

Cinder

And for me too. Your post is echoing alot of what I've been thinking. I've just never written it out.

My ds13 has just started some high school level courses. He's a smart boy but he has no study skills. That's throwing a monkey wrench into our day. I see things I need to make sure my dd12 knows, but I should write them down or I'll never think of them again until it's too late. :)

My son is in 7th grade. My middle school goals for him were/are:

to improve his writing

to get him more independent

to improve his vocabulary

Of course, there are the usual other subjects, but I feel these above

need to be successful before he'll be ready for high school.

This is alot of what I tell parents of elementary students who are stressing about school, except minus the puberty part. :tongue_smilie:

We are quite relaxed. She has a handful of curriculum that takes her about 90 minutes a day, if that. I'm watching my ds13 in his first high school courses and seeing that he's not as ready as I thought. He has no study skills because we haven't done work that lends itself to taking notes, studying the notes, and testing. He's not used to the writing or the reading. We're taking it slowly, but it sure is giving me food for thought when I look at the type of work my dd12 is doing.

Oh my goodness, these are the areas of struggle that ds13 is having right now with some 9th grade classes. I'm in the process of figuring out how to teach both of them these skills.

You guys are awesome! You gave me lots of good ideas, and especially helped me put some of those ideas into real thoughts. It's a start.

BTW, for disorganized kids, I'm reading a really good book right now called organizing the disorganized child by Martin L. Kutscher & Marcella Moran. It has a section that discusses different organizational personalities. Lightbulbs are going off in my head about my own organizational skills as I'm reading through this book. It's schoolish, but has lots of great information that applies to me and my children.

We've hit a lot of tiredness this year, we're finishing up 6th grade. Seems like this year has been about learning to work around the distractions. QUOTE]

Wow, I have a 13ds finishing (or trying to finish) 7th grade. Distractions have been a major part of our year since Nov. It seems, as my ds gets taller and hungrier, he also gets sleepier, slower and tries everything he can to get out of doing his work.

I'm ready to be done with the school year, but working with him lately is like trudging through tar. He's always been so good about doing his work, but this new fellow taking over ds's body is going to need some proding.

Thank you posters, it's nice to hear I'm not the only one dealing with this and that it will get better.

OK, can anyone tell me what I did wrong on my quote in the above post? This was the first time I tried to use the quote button.

Thank you!

After the word distractions in the quote, it should have said

You must have edited and accidentally deleted those first 2 characters.