Menu

Looking for reading material for middle school boys

I'm looking for new reading material for my middle school sons. It has to have some merit, but doesn't have to be "great literature." I like series for them because I get x books for the recommendation of one! (I'd appreciate recommendations for single books as well, though.)

Stuff that they've read that they like:

The Chronicles of Narnia

Lord of the Rings

Harry Potter

Percy Jackson

Eragon (kind of)

Redwall (but they've kind of grown out of that)

We've got Little Britches, and maybe the second one of that series.

I did not like the Dark is Rising series, so never encouraged them to read it.

Other ideas?

if they like Harry, they will probably enjoy the Artemis Fowl books and others by Colfer.

We also liked Colfer's The Supernaturals. Very interesting. They may be too old for his Half Moon book. ? ? You'd have to have them check it out. It's about on level with Percy Jackson.

I would also think the typical classics might interest them : The Pearl, Animal Farm, Old Man and The Sea, War of The Worlds.

What about Call of The Wild, White Fang, or Summer of The Monkeys? Have they read Willy Wonka? Olver Twist (might be a good read aloud)?

Other worthwhile novels that come to mind are Holes, and Ender's Game.

Do they like historical fiction? I can think of several for that age group, and the first one that comes to mind is The Book Theif. It is fiction set in Nazi Germany. Really intersting. There is another from that era ----grrrrr title not coming to mind----but it is a good read: a contemprorary young person goes back in time and tries to kill Hitler as an infant....to change the future...it's quite interesting, and makes one pause.

Edited by LibraryLover

Firebird, by Mercedes Lackey, has been one of my favorite books since I was around that age.

They might like The Enchanted Forest Chronicles. Three of the four books are written from the pov of women, but I don't find them to be overly girly. More magic and adventure than anything.

I won't say anything about the Eragon books, other than to make a quiet gagging noise. *grin*

The Animorphs series is pretty good, though they get a bit grown up as the series goes on. The first twenty or so would be fine, though.

ds is currently reading the Swallows and Amazons series by Arthur Ransome

After that, I've got Terry Deary's Fire Thief series for him.

He also enjoyed My Family & Other Animals again recently (had it previously as a read aloud... now he read it himself)

He still likes the Mysterious Benedict Society books too.

My oldest would have had an almost identical book list at that age, and here are some addition titles he's liked:

He loved Ender's Game (first in a series but stands alone well)

Gregor the Overlander

The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp

Pendragon

The Sea of Trolls

Ranger's Apprentice

Rocket Boy's (I think there's one scene in there not appropriate for younger boys)

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

You've likely already done The Hobbit, but thought I'd mention it if they haven't.

You also might take a look at The Wizard of Earthsea. I have similar tastes in books as my son does--I loved it and it was just ok for him.

I hope that no one from Usborne sees this (Amy in VA and Dirty Ethel, don't rat me out ;)...I have not read it, but the Conspiracy 365 series from Kane-Miller Publishing (a division of Usborne Books & More), has had a huge success with middle school aged boys. It is a modern day action adventure story. There is murder and intrigue, but no sex or other inappropriate stuff. People that I respect have said it is well written. A new installment of the adventure comes out every month in 2010. You can read the 1st chapter on my website below, but given how libraries are gobbling them up, you can probably find the first 5 months at your local library.

Gregory the Overlander series

David and the Phoenix by Edward Ormondroyd

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster

The Pushcart War by Jean Merrill

The Toothpaste Millionaire by Jean Merrill

The Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald (easier books)

Jack London books

Encylopedia Brown series by Donald Sobol

The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander

Holes by Louis Sachar

Sideways stories by Louis Sachar

The Watsons go to Birmingham-1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis

Ranger's Apprentice...there are 7 books so far in the series; ds12 LOVES them, dh loved them, I loved them. The picture on the front cover made it look like a really dark book, but so far I've found little to be concerned with (there are a few bad words...maybe 3 in the whole series).